Updated: Suspended Players Update #1003

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We are only at the tip of this. Im told the "I lost my credit card and someone else must have used it, give me another with my full dollar amount on it, oops I did it again" scheme is wideranging and at least two years long. NCAA is investigating that as extra benefits and lack of institutional control for us failing to supervise the kids reissuing the cards.

Im also still hearing that the nine are just the first wave.

Lets hope it isnt as big as some think.
Dang, if there's any truth to this, we may be royally fooked.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I just hope that the next coach shows these dumbass kids how to cheat and NOT get caught....or something like that....Anyone got Petrinos cell#?

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Latest Update:

"The nine University of Florida football players who have been suspended indefinitely by the school for misuse of school funds, are also under investigation for credit card fraud, by two separate police departments in the Gainesville area, relating to an additional credit card fraud allegation.

Jordan Smith, a freshman defensive end, was suspended from all team activates after a report from The Read Optional that Smith had used stolen credit card information to pay rent at an apartment complex — around $1,000 dollars.

The credit card company blocked the charge, leading to an investigation by the Gainesville Police Department. Only one other player was initially connected to the Smith case — a separate case from the student aid fraud investigation (though the second player was involved in both).

Now, The Read Optional understands that several players have been linked to both cases.

The Gainesville PD and the University of Florida PD have been working in conjunction on multiple investigations once it came to light that they were investigating fraud claims involving the same victim.

The link between the misuse of funds investigation and apartment fraud investigation is now clear: Several of the players had the same stolen credit card information; the same victim.

That victim has been cooperating with both police departments.

The Read Optional has also confirmed that UFPD has found more than one victim of stolen credit card information.

Seven players were initially suspended following a report from The Read Optional that they had misused student aid funds — using debit cards to buy electronic equipment, before selling it for cash and claiming the cards stolen. Two weeks later, two further players were also suspended indefinitely, with both believed to be tied to the original student aid story.

Florida head coach Jim McElwain and athletic director Scott Stricklin have been vague on the details of the case for over a month now. Both have avoided direct accusations, citing “mistakes” and saying the process would be handled in-house. They neither confirmed nor denied the initial allegations as they continued to conduct an investigation into deeper credit card fraud.

Several student-athletes are expected to be interviewed this week. The investigation had been placed on hold due to Hurricane Irma."

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm confused...I read here this was no big deal. Just kids manipulating the system for a little extra spending money, right?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There isnt much doubt in my mind that 2222 was merely parroting what UAA told him. There were too many people toeing the company line on this praying it would somehow go away for it not to be coordinated.

The next question is how much blows back on Stricklin. The rumors are that he and Mac both knew (at the very latest) in the early summer.

We may need much more than a coach.

The other bad part is we dont really have a potential interim coach on the staff. I used to think Nusschump's firing was imminent. Maybe Butters goes first. Nord, Rumph, Shannon and Seider are the only coaches we have who even have P5 experience. Nord is out of course. The DC males the most sense if his name werent randy Shannon and he werent a failed coCaine. Seider.

Boy, Fooley saving money with these budget coaches and budget staffs sure does make a lot of sense.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
There isnt much doubt in my mind that 2222 was merely parroting what UAA told him. There were too many people toeing the company line on this praying it would somehow go away for it not to be coordinated.

The next question is how much blows back on Stricklin. The rumors are that he and Mac both knew (at the very latest) in the early summer.
We were gonna bury it. No doubt about it.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014

For the love of god I'd take a year bowl ban to clean house

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
It seemed pretty obvious from the beginning that it was going this way. Fraud and theft are the same thing. Interesting that UF canned a housing director and suspended five more yesterday of credit card stuff. I think the City of Gainesville did similar last year.

Shows really poor controls and auditing procedures. I'm sure we have all seen it, the rubber stamp vs a critical look and supporting documentation.

A thief is a thief and I don't have much use for them.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
In the team picture will these guys be wearing orange jerseys while everyone else is wearing blue. It would be fitting because their next set of clothing is likely to be orange prison duds.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
For the love of god I'd take a year bowl ban to clean house
If This truly involves, say, three dozen players getting 5 to $10,000 extra per semester over at least two years we probably aren't looking at just a one-year Bowl ban.

the rumors are that it's pretty much all the south Florida kids.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
We are only at the tip of this. Im told the "I lost my credit card and someone else must have used it, give me another with my full dollar amount on it, oops I did it again" scheme is wideranging and at least two years long. NCAA is investigating that as extra benefits and lack of institutional control for us failing to supervise the kids reissuing the cards.

Im also still hearing that the nine are just the first wave.

Lets hope it isnt as big as some think.
Not sure where you are getting the extra benefits part...committing a crime is not the school giving extra benefits....period...end of story....if the school was involved maybe it is, but then they too would have multiple people arrested for felony fraud, theft, and conspiracy directly related to this case (which hasn't even been mentioned or suggested)

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
If This truly involves, say, three dozen players getting 5 to $10,000 extra per semester over at least two years we probably aren't looking at just a one-year Bowl ban.

Well they would have to have evidence of it going further back which so far we haven't seen.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I guess now we know the real reason Foley resigned. He saw the writing on the wall & didn't want to be tied to it.

& some of y'all thinks he's a fool - :trump:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

I doubt that happens. I mean a lot of heads would have to roll first. If you see Mac resign then I will actually start to worry.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure where you are getting the extra benefits part...committing a crime is not the school giving extra benefits....period...end of story....if the school was involved maybe it is, but then they too would have multiple people arrested for felony fraud, theft, and conspiracy directly related to this case (which hasn't even been mentioned or suggested)
keep up bro there's two things going on.

one is old fashioned credit card scams where they're buying or getting stolen card and encoding it and using it.

the second is the University card thing where they were claiming their cards were stolen disavowing the charges and getting new cards issued for extra benefits.

it's going to take awhile for all this to get sorted out the first few or just the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator