Venting Thread: Billy is proud of Kirby

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
After Coach Billy was hired and I learned what he was all about (at Ox's Camp), I felt confidently optimistic that he is the right guy to build and preside over a winning culture at Florida. I felt like his demeanor and mindset would be very appealing to high-quality, serious-minded, championship-caliber players and their families.

Beyond recruiting, the most important aspect of the sport at this level, I presumed that his playcalling and in-game adjustment-making would be at least adequate if not innovative, based on his success at ULL.

I presumed wrong. By SEC standards, his playcalling and in-game adjustment making are inadequate.

That said, I still believe that Billy's persona and professionalism give him the potential to do what he was hired to do -- build a winning culture at Florida. Now, though, that all depends on whether he is humble and self-aware enough to delegate playcalling on both sides of the ball to two other guys, and competent enough to pick the right two guys for the jobs.

So in my opinion, all of you who are already sure we got the wrong guy in Billy are being a little premature. But not by much. It won't take another season to find out whether you're right. We'll know by looking at who's on the coaching staff when summer camp opens.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Time to give Miller and Kitna some game reps and see what we have at the QB position.
I want to see AR play, but as a situational QB.
But at this point his accuracy is so bad that someone else should start.
It's not like we are winning because of AR....we aren't winning :lol:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If decision making was a 'measurable' AR would get an F. The guy has almost a complete set of tools, its just that he decides to use a hammer to tighten a bolt and a wrench to drive a nail.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If decision making was a 'measurable' AR would get an F. The guy has almost a complete set of tools, its just that he decides to use a hammer to tighten a bolt and a wrench to drive a nail.
The guy is a measure once, cut once guy.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I want to see AR play, but as a situational QB.
But at this point his accuracy is so bad that someone else should start.
It's not like we are winning because of AR....we aren't winning :lol:
True but the other school of thought is that this season is a bust anyway, so he might as well get all the rest of the reps and see if his decision-making and touch on the ball improve with experience.

Alchemist

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2017
You guys enjoying BillyBall yet? I know I haven't seen offense this innovative since Spurrier in the 90s. And man, what a natural feel for the game. Amazing.

So glad we snatched him away from all those other big time programs who were after him.
Auburn wanted him. Should tell us something.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
True but the other school of thought is that this season is a bust anyway, so he might as well get all the rest of the reps and see if his decision-making and touch on the ball improve with experience.
Even so, I still think you see what you have in the other guys, even if they come in as a situational QB

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Even so, I still think you see what you have in the other guys, even if they come in as a situational QB
:lol2:

"Heads up, Kitna! Due to this being a particularly specialized and challenging situation, we're sending you in!"

I'm ready! What's the "situation," Coach?

"Okay, here it is: New possession! 1st and 10 at the 25."

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
:lol2:

"Heads up, Kitna! Due to this being a particularly specialized and challenging situation, we're sending you in!"

I'm ready! What's the "situation," Coach?

"Okay, here it is: New possession! 1st and 10 at the 25."
Yea, sure that's what I meant :crazy:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Spurrier said some nice things about dooley. Of course he did just pass away yesterday, but still surprised the HBC said something publicly that was gracious towards one of the most hated dogs in history.

Sometimes coaching circles don't operate quite the same as the fanbases, even though I have trouble understanding that, too.

Spurrier’s been retired for quite a while while Sunbelt Billy is our current head coach. Your comparison is apples & oranges.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
After Coach Billy was hired and I learned what he was all about (at Ox's Camp), I felt confidently optimistic that he is the right guy to build and preside over a winning culture at Florida. I felt like his demeanor and mindset would be very appealing to high-quality, serious-minded, championship-caliber players and their families.

Beyond recruiting, the most important aspect of the sport at this level, I presumed that his playcalling and in-game adjustment-making would be at least adequate if not innovative, based on his success at ULL.

I presumed wrong. By SEC standards, his playcalling and in-game adjustment making are inadequate.

That said, I still believe that Billy's persona and professionalism give him the potential to do what he was hired to do -- build a winning culture at Florida. Now, though, that all depends on whether he is humble and self-aware enough to delegate playcalling on both sides of the ball to two other guys, and competent enough to pick the right two guys for the jobs.

So in my opinion, all of you who are already sure we got the wrong guy in Billy are being a little premature. But not by much. It won't take another season to find out whether you're right. We'll know by looking at who's on the coaching staff when summer camp opens.
In other words at least he isn't a dork like the last two and not unstable like Chump.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
How is he definitively our best player? What data supports that? Id say Etienne is probably a better overall player right now. Pearsall as well.

Ftr, I’m not even suggesting a benching in that he doesn’t start next week. But in some of these losses, I’d be good with seeing Kitna get some snaps. We have nothing to lose.
Pearsall? Come on man. When you are comparing such vastly different positions it’s hard to say best, but our best position group is OL and it’s not really close. You could say RB but their success is completely dependent on the former.

But make no mistake, AR is our most important player. His accuracy is an issue and the limitations of Napier’s offense aren’t doing him any favors, but he is still the main reason for the limited success we’ve had and would be the top player in the portal if we benched him.

If we are going to win out, which admittedly feels like a pipe dream at this point, it will require riding on AR because the defense certainly can’t carry us.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Ok this will be long. First let me say I never liked the Napier hire. I think the guy is a goofball and doesnt represent UF football. But I think he will be a Mark Right. Which isn't the worst thing ever. I don't think he will be a losing coach but I know he won't be a championship coach, ever.

He speaks like a fan. I think he is still in awe of being in the SEC and hasn't yet realized all that goes into it. Not saying he's in over his head, but I'm saying that I think he feels like he won the lottery. He's not going to rock the boat, piss off fans, talk smack about our rivals because he's just so happy to be on the sidelines.

I do think he's smart enough to put together a good team, have guys play hard, and be competitive. Unlike Mullen, I do think he will adapt. Once he settles into the SEC and realizes he will have to hurt people's feelings, he will adapt.

One thing is he is not a wizard, he will never out scheme anyone. He will outplay other teams. The players will love him. This will take many years. In the meantime it will be ugly, ugly football.

My concern is that once he gets all the pieces and has guys playing lights out, he will never have that killer instinct. We will never blow anyone out, we will never play with a chip on our shoulders. We WILL win a lot but we will always lose the big games to coaches with a "win at all costs" mentality while Napier wants to be a gentleman.

For those of you who like the Napier hire, I am confident he will have some winning teams. But even at that stage the big losses will be hard.

Thank you for allowing me to vent and I have so much more free time on Saturdays with Billy at the helm!

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty simple fixes, I just hope Billy does it and we aren't stuck with dip**** Dan 2.0.

1. Special teams suck ass, whatever we are doing there needs to change. Our special teams might have more penalties than other teams in total. Change the personnel, coach or just tell the players to ****ing kneel it. We literally can't go one kickoff without a hold or block in the back, Ive never seen anything like it
  2. AR and Wright need to ride the pine. If AR isn't running, he is worthless. My 12 year-old has more touch and accuracy than he does, I won't even get into his inability to see the field and continues to miss wide-open receivers (and I miss miss by not seeing them). His decisions and running out of bounds to stop the clock on 3rd down before half, throwing it out of bounds on 4th are plays that should have had him benched immediately yesterday
  3. To point 2, Napier needs to get some ****ing balls and pull guys who aren't performing. I said in the chatterbox yesterday that never in my life would I have thought our offense would be the reason why we lost yesterday but it certainly felt that way. Its time for Billy to turn over the play calling to a professional, this isn't high school or a B league.
4 more games left and I think we are looking at 3-1, more likely 2-2. I like the direction we are headed with recruiting but I refuse to sit around and see the same correctable mistakes week after week and think there is hope in the coming seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.