Was not enough attention focused on securing a quarterback?

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Let me first say that I think we had a better than expected first class under our new coach. To land many of our targeted recruits and flip some others was a great success.
The reason for this post involves the quarterback position. We all know about our need for offensive line, but did our staff unintentionally neglect the most important position on the field? I feel ok for next year with Grier as starter and Harris as backup, but what happens after this season?

Name and town if you wish to opine.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
BTW, I am not trying to be a downer. Definitely excited about the line of scrimmage strength on both sides of the field.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Due to limited time in the recruiting period, it might have been a issue of limited resources to get the players we needed. Our main needs needed to be address first. I wouldn't say we completely ignored, but it wasn't a first priority either. We also do not know who they contracted in the 4-6 weeks they had to make contact.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We had a legit shot at 2 QB's. We probably had Francois lined up until Lockley flipped from FSU. I think they put the time in and it just didn't happen. I'd expect a QB commitment early in the 2016 cycle

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
They mainly focused on 2 guys both of which were already committed and they only had a brief period to flip them. both guys stuck to their commitments (FSU and Louisville).

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If we can sign 2 next class we should be alright if injuries don't get out of hand.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We're fine at QB for this year. We definitely need a QB or two for 2016.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I expect JMac fet comfortable enough with what he's learned of WG and TH currently on the roster that he'd have liked to have flipped someone for this class but can survive until next year with what we have. Focus had to go on what we landed in this class.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I don;t think they neglected the position, but they chose to try and flip committed guys b/c my guess is there was not an uncommitted guy available that they liked. Given that, if an 18 yo kid who wants to play in a year or 2 sees Harris and Grier, he sees one guy who has played, has shown he is serviceable in the right system with 3 years of eligibility remaining. He sees another guy, highly recruited, with 4 years (potentially) of eligibility, and they chose to go to other schools with the QB situations are much more up in the air on paper. I am not saying we are going to be great at QB (don;t know) but to a recruit it looks like we have more there than the schools they selected.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
While I don't expect to find quality starters I bet there are a couple of HS QBs at UF who would be happy to be a walk on and provide more arms for practice, might even get a year of a scolly as well. It would have been nice but not as nice as more quality oline.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n170063 said:
What about dude from New Mexico? Could we throw him a bone?

I wish they would. Mac said a scholly or two may still be coming...sounded like a couple "maybes" out there still. Perhaps he's one of them.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
QueenCityGator;n170000 said:
Let me first say that I think we had a better than expected first class under our new coach. To land many of our targeted recruits and flip some others was a great success.
The reason for this post involves the quarterback position. We all know about our need for offensive line, but did our staff unintentionally neglect the most important position on the field? I feel ok for next year with Grier as starter and Harris as backup, but what happens after this season?

Name and town if you wish to opine.
We had probably the best finishes I remember.

We'll survive just fine without a QB in this class.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n170041 said:
If we can sign 2 next class we should be alright if injuries don't get out of hand.

If you don't try to run your QB as your primary running back or constantly put him in third and long where the defense can tee off on your QB without fear of run gap assignments and reads, you'll probably easily get by with 3 QBs.

Morningwood looked pretty good last spring. Certainly good enough for a 3rd string emergency guy.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's definitely a concern that we have not landed a QB in this class yet. But, Kylan Johnson played QB in HS and could be a backup in a pinch. Or we could just go all 'wildcat' on other teams and give McGriff the ball every time if we had to.
Seriously, though, I think there's something to the NM QB and maybe he was waiting to see what Jackson and Frenchy did. Probably find out soon enough. I don't even remember Mac addressing the QB situation in his presser. If he did, does anyone remember what he had to say?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This staff proved to me today they knew what they was doing. If they wanted to add a qb bad enough,they would have. They obviously feel comfortable with what they have.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
QB is the last position on the field where you want to waste schollies on some 2 star project.

Five days ago we had 7 commits and now people are griping about not having a 4th string QB?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
McCoach said he had some schollys left for some late comers and he had a few things up his sleeve. I think he has some QB help in mind and is just waiting for the details to be ironed out. He is nobody's fool and I'm sure he knows our current situation is risky. jmo

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator