Was not enough attention focused on securing a quarterback?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
TheDouglas78;n170016 said:
Due to limited time in the recruiting period, it might have been a issue of limited resources to get the players we needed. Our main needs needed to be address first. I wouldn't say we completely ignored, but it wasn't a first priority either. We also do not know who they contracted in the 4-6 weeks they had to make contact.

This. QB's nowadays seem to commit much earlier than a lot of other positions.....

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
QB kid's name is Easton Bruele (sp?).
The main article on New Mexico about the top in the state QB was that recruiters just aren't used to good athletes coming
out of NM.?? The kid could easily be a Wuerfel, a K. Bell, etc. He has 49 TDs, only 3 (or 6)INTS, 4,500+ yds. On the film
the overall competition looked fierce. That author said New Mexico considers HS football same as Texas.

He's a humble kid, begging for an offer. He said he'd sign right there & then. He looks sturdy and runs with good speed
and pile-drives for short yardage. His Dad is his school's OL coach. He has a really quick release and a QB IQ.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBart;n170095 said:
It's definitely a concern that we have not landed a QB in this class yet. But, Kylan Johnson played QB in HS and could be a backup in a pinch. Or we could just go all 'wildcat' on other teams and give McGriff the ball every time if we had to.
Seriously, though, I think there's something to the NM QB and maybe he was waiting to see what Jackson and Frenchy did. Probably find out soon enough. I don't even remember Mac addressing the QB situation in his presser. If he did, does anyone remember what he had to say?

I believe he addressed it by saying "we don't want fillers". Obviously, they felt goid enough with they have to not waste a scholly this year.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have a feeling that Francois would have signed here had Kai Locksley not flipped to Texas.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n170202 said:
Well I hope somebody offers him, even if it is not us. And I hope he kills it. He has really worked hard to get to the next level.

Me too. It would be an awesome story line too. He competed against the 6'7 QB that committed to Michigan and the kid with no offers spanked that ass. Both QB's had good stats but his were far superior. Can't believe no one (Not even a Troy type team)has offered him. Talk about a kid with a chip on his shoulder, with something to prove. I bet he'd out work every player on the team.

Hope he gets his chance.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mac probably feels ok about what we have for now. Perhaps some lined up. He did the first major thing. Got some OL'men to protect the QB. Now go and get one.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mac looking at the Arizona grad transfer with 2 years left. Connor something.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
That question was addressed in today's presser with Mac. I think he's okay with the stable of QB guys he has, and this clearly wasn't a year to swing for the fences in the QB position. And you don't settle for mediocre. That was the message I got. First things first. Get an OL and an offense that QB's want to be part of. In Mac We Trust.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
I have no reason to doubt Mac. He has come through on everything and exceeded expectations to this point. Dude didnt fall of the turnip truck yesterday :lol:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah QB wasn't a huge need this recruiting cycle, I'm not concerned with that. Could have used another LB or two, but with the gains we made on the LOS (in a LOS league), I'm thrilled with what this coaching staff accomplished.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Okay...the current roster shows 5 QB's...two that I did not know existed (practice squad designations). Still, that leaves Harris with game experience, Mornhinweg with game experience, and Grier with no game experience. I don't think it would be wasting a scholarship on a coachable QB prospect.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jacob Guy was a three star kid, who was kind enough to walkon, and is no doubt better than that kid who played flag football in NM. McGriff is a legacy walkon. I have very little doubt both are better than Driskel. Alums (Doug Johnson? and someone else... maybe?) were commenting about Driskel not being as good as a GHS QB, that was really a reference to McGriff.

We're ok.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There's a reason that kid doesn't have any offers. They've been pimping that kid on every major sports website out there.

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Don't forget, in a pinch Coach Mac's dog could play QB for us :)

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n170428 said:
Mac looking at the Arizona grad transfer with 2 years left. Connor something.

People say he likes to Driskel a lot - maybe better to let him go somewhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.