Recruiting We got ourselves another RB

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't discount this kid's ability. Hopefully we got in while the gettin' was good.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Marianna said:
I'm starting to see that it won't happen this year and that's unfortunate. Zook,Meyer,and even chump recruited better than this in their first full recruiting class.
It is what it is. It's done. We hired who we hired. The coordinator hires were terrible. The position coaches, except for OL and LB, were laughable.

This won't be a Tebow/Spikes/Harvin kinda class. We aren't even in the conversation for those type guys and haven't been for a long time. We know that.

Just go along for the ride. Maybe we can at least claw our way back to being a 3rd tier team in the SEC and figure it out from there.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Law98gator;n228218 said:
It is what it is. It's done. We hired who we hired. The coordinator hires were terrible. The position coaches, except for OL and LB, were laughable.

Just go along for the ride. Maybe we can at least claw our way back to being a 3rd tier team in the SEC and figure it out from there.
That's all we can do is go along for the ride and hope for the best.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Cue "Ain't No Sunshine".

S

skyflake

Founding Member
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n228140 said:
Coach Mac seems to be the real deal, at least recruiting wise...

Perine only had one offer from a Power Five conference school, Mississippi State. The JUCO lineman, Mittermeier, is available now for a reason, why I don't know. Chauncey Gardner is the only current commit that everyone wanted. The blue chippers, four and five stars, are not banging on the door to come to Florida. UF still doesn't have a quarterback for the class. I don't consider this current class to be the "real deal." UF is currently ranked 11th by 247 in recruiting, but I don't think that will last when other schools get the same number of commits. Maybe this staff is smarter than everyone else and the class if filled with hidden gems that only this staff was able to mine, but I doubt that is the case.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Law98gator;n228218 said:

This won't be a Tebow/Spikes/Harvin kinda class. We aren't even in the conversation for those type guys and haven't been for a long time. We know that.

I don't think Rumph was a laughable hire, and I think Skipper was decent.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry I did mean DL hire. Of course, Rumph is an excellent hire.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;228271 said:
I don't think Rumph was a laughable hire, and I think Skipper was decent.

I like both those hires as well. The jury is out on DC. We'll see.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
GatorJ;n228286 said:
The jury is out on DC.
I know this may sound crazy but this is a huge concern of mine. I believe Mac will get the offense back on track and the fact we are going after so many RB's and OL is proof, at least to me. We cannot lose sight of the importance of maintaining a top 10-20 defense though. I know it's easy to forget but we will lose a lot on defense after the upcoming season.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;228291 said:
I know this may sound crazy but this is a huge concern of mine. I believe Mac will get the offense back on track and the fact we are going after so many RB's and OL is proof, at least to me. We cannot lose sight of the importance of maintaining a top 10-20 defense though. I know it's easy to forget but we will lose a lot on defense after the upcoming season.

Yep. Other than Chauncey Gardner I haven't seen a single defensive recruit in this cycle that's a standout (so far). Still early. But concerning.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
GatorJ;n228301 said:
Yep. Other than Chauncey Gardner I haven't seen a single defensive recruit in this cycle that's a standout (so far). Still early. But concerning.

We will lose 2 of the top 20 defensive players in the country, VH3 and Bullard, and although I've been critical of Morrison on occasion he is very good against the run for the most part. I can't remember but isn't McCallister also a sr.? Gardiner will be in the only position group I'm not concerned about....We need to get busy with recruiting LBer's,3-4, and DL,4-5 minimum...

jereed16

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
From the Scout article on this kid. Not only says great things about him, but also about him recruiting a big time defensive end for us:

He also says that 4-star defensive end Darius Whitfield is high on his list of targets to bring with him to Florida from Alabama.
“I am all over him,” he said. “I’m trying to get him up there with me.”
Scout recruiting analyst John Garcia covers the state of Alabama like no one else and talked a little bit about the Gators newest commitment.
Lamical Perine is a big, strong blended RB," Garcia told our members on FightinGators.com. "What I mean by blended is his combination of size, speed and ball skill, which fits plenty of offenses in 2015. I've long thought he could be Alabama's best running back in 2016, contending with Ole Miss commitment Devin Mitchell (current No. 1) and emerging star Jarrion Street. Each is over 6-foot, and Perine may be the toughest to tackle of the three...This is an excellent get both on the field and for perception in the state with Mac and Nuss on staff at UF. The Gators tried to snag some late Bama gems in 2015 but ran out of time, which made it clear it would have a big haul in 2016. This is a near-ideal start.

http://www.scout.com/college/florida/story/1550242-4-star-darius-whitfield-i-love-them-gators

S

skyflake

Founding Member
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n228317 said:
We will lose 2 of the top 20 defensive players in the country, VH3 and Bullard, and although I've been critical of Morrison on occasion he is very good against the run for the most part. I can't remember but isn't McCallister also a sr.? Gardiner will be in the only position group I'm not concerned about....We need to get busy with recruiting LBer's,3-4, and DL,4-5 minimum...

When has Bullard became one of the top defensive players in the country? He was moved inside because he wasn't a good defensive end, and while he has looked much better inside, he's not close to being one of the top defensive players in the country. He's not even honorable mention All-SEC. There's a reason that he's playing for florida nad not in the NFL right now, and it's not because he's one of the best defensive players in the country.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
We are getting lower star guys right now because the studs are in wait and see mode. Let these guys camp and let the season play out partially and we will see how things shape up. A lot can happen in 4 months

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;228485 said:
We are getting lower star guys right now because the studs are in wait and see mode. Let these guys camp and let the season play out partially and we will see how things shape up. A lot can happen in 4 months

Somewhat. A lot of those guys have already committed as well.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n228497 said:
Somewhat. A lot of those guys have already committed as well.

Wonder how many of those wanted to be Gators but just couldn't stand the thought of playing in our pathetic offense? Perhaps if Coach JMac gets us competing with the better teams we go against this year, some of them may take another look? Sure hope so!

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;228506 said:
Wonder how many of those wanted to be Gators but just couldn't stand the thought of playing in our pathetic offense? Perhaps if Coach JMac gets us competing with the better teams we go against this year, some of them may take another look? Sure hope so!

A lot of those guys are already looking at us. So I think this is a high possibility. I'm actually a little more concerned that we're not locking down some highly rated defensive players.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n228509 said:
I'm actually a little more concerned that we're not locking down some highly rated defensive players.

Yeah, I don't get that either. How could any good player not want to play in a psycho defense?:dunno:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm with ray, I'm not in panic mode yet . us being this far behind fsu and pretty much all the top qbs have committed elsewhere has me concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator