We Talkin Bout The State of the Program!

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

The truth is that Bammer and all the other elite teams (or mediocre teams w elite staffs) have a guy dedicated to watching all those and getting actionable intel.

Id like to see something on film that appeared to be progress but didnt Driskel look good on film and LDR complete 100 percent of his passes in the O&B. So even if they televised it all and you saw it, would it matter? Or would you still need to see it on the field in September to believe it.

We are doing the right thing in this case. In today's CFB you cant have open practices.
It would just make me feel better to see our linemen actually practicing not jumping offsides, our receivers actually trying to learn their routes, our running backs being told where the blitz is coming from and our DBs being told not to grab every receiver.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Why is that? Mac never once voiced any negativity about him, played him until his arm literally fell off and he's proven he likes to stick with the same guy come hell or high water. What makes you think he WANTS to change QBs?

Let's break this down:
"Mac never once voiced any negativity about him" Is it unusual for a coach to not voice negativity about the starting QB? And arguably the best option. Unless you think one of the freshman should have started.
"played him until his arm literally fell off" So LDR came back after his knee injury to play 3 games. Unfortunately LDR apparently didn't tell anybody about the bad arm. Or Mac lied about it. In any case he was pulled when it became obvious.
"he's proven he likes to stick with the same guy come hell or high water" Because Mac's had so many options? Or are you talking about Treon? Because the only other option was walk-on Jacob Guy.
"What makes you think he WANTS to change QBs?" I think he wants to keep his job. Which means winning, Which means playing the best option that he has.

Let the negators feast.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Let's break this down:
"Mac never once voiced any negativity about him" Is it unusual for a coach to not voice negativity about the starting QB? And arguably the best option. Unless you think one of the freshman should have started.
"played him until his arm literally fell off" So LDR came back after his knee injury to play 3 games. Unfortunately LDR apparently didn't tell anybody about the bad arm. Or Mac lied about it. In any case he was pulled when it became obvious.
"he's proven he likes to stick with the same guy come hell or high water" Because Mac's had so many options? Or are you talking about Treon? Because the only other option was walk-on Jacob Guy.
"What makes you think he WANTS to change QBs?" I think he wants to keep his job. Which means winning, Which means playing the best option that he has.

Let the negators feast.

Mac had a pretty detailed press conference regarding how he screwed up with LDR. And should not have played him hurt. And that it was a big mistake. I can't remember which press conference it was. But it might've been either the one before Spring practice kicked off or it was right after signing day.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Mac had a pretty detailed press conference regarding how he screwed up with LDR. And should not have played him hurt. And that it was a big mistake. I can't remember which press conference it was. But it might've been either the one before Spring practice kicked off or it was right after signing day.
Yeah think I saw that. In retrospect he shouldn't have played after they found out damaged the arm was. And he didn't. It was the time frame that they didn't know how bad the arm was but he played. And they said at that time that they didn't know how bad it was.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah think I saw that. In retrospect he shouldn't have played after they found out damaged the arm was. And he didn't. It was the time frame that they didn't know how bad the arm was but he played. And they said at that time that they didn't know how bad it was.
Speculate all you wish about what Mac did or didn't know. I'm going on what's actually happened. He played him much longer than he should have...to the point he HAD to play someone else. Did the same with Treon. Hell, he was playing Treon ahead of Grier. :lol:

As far as being critical of the QB play, you see HCs do it each and every week.

Don't be surprised when LDR is under center in the opener.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I hope Mac doesn't try to use the injury excuse to justify putting LDR in as the starter again. You could see before he got hurt in that N Texas game he wasn't going to make it against good SEC competition with that weak stuff he was throwing. His weaknesses were hid for the most part those first few games against the weak competition and he got away with throws he never would have much after that.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Isn't it possible that Shands returns LDR a new man ?? :stirpot:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I think Mac knows he can't start LDR. I also kinda think many here secretly want him to so they can complain. Lesbihonest.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah think I saw that. In retrospect he shouldn't have played after they found out damaged the arm was. And he didn't. It was the time frame that they didn't know how bad the arm was but he played. .
How could you not know? He doesnt actually watch the games?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I think Mac knows he can't start LDR. I also kinda think many here secretly want him to so they can complain. Lesbihonest.
All kidding aside, your first statement says it all. You THINK!
I think Mac is content with his SECE titles and the way he went about it and will continue to start LDR until he's forced to use someone else due to injury,

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Mac is content with his SECE titles and the way he went about it and will continue to start LDR until he's forced to use someone else due to injury,

He's definitely not content with just winning the east. I heard it reported that he was dissatisfied walking toward the locker room right after the game and he's been talking about kicking the door down to Alabama's house. I'm not sure he / we can do it, but I don't believe for a moment he's satisfied.

In fact, no coach at his level would be. For that matter, who would be? I'm not as driven as he is and I'd guess that no one on this board is as driven as someone at his level. I can't imagine that someone who is driven enough to get to his position is satisfied with just getting to the conference championship game.

I'd be much quicker to believe that he'd like to start LDR next season (which none of us know, but I'm hoping isn't true) than he's satisfied with just getting to the SECCG.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
The interesting question is which QB would you go with? The confident leader that throws picks or the accurate milk toast? Can confidence be taught? Can accuracy be taught?

If I remember correctly Leak wasn't much of a leader. Especially in the shadow of Tebow. But we'd probably all kill to have Leak back. Grier was an overconfident gunslinger and all know what happened to him. If I'm laying bets right now I'd say Mac goes with Trask. Personally I'd be real tempted to go with the gunslinger but I'm a gambler.
Trask needs to get it together. Can't go with milk toast.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He's definitely not content with just winning the east. I heard it reported that he was dissatisfied walking toward the locker room right after the game and he's been talking about kicking the door down to Alabama's house. I'm not sure he / we can do it, but I don't believe for a moment he's satisfied.

In fact, no coach at his level would be. For that matter, who would be? I'm not as driven as he is and I'd guess that no one on this board is as driven as someone at his level. I can't imagine that someone who is driven enough to get to his position is satisfied with just getting to the conference championship game.

I'd be much quicker to believe that he'd like to start LDR next season (which none of us know, but I'm hoping isn't true) than he's satisfied with just getting to the SECCG.
Mac strikes me as a guy that's just happy to be here. I don't see the drive you're talking about...on the sidelines, in pressers or on the recruiting trail. He's got another year or two to prove us non-believers wrong, thanks to a pitiful SECE.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I hope Mac doesn't try to use the injury excuse to justify putting LDR in as the starter again. You could see before he got hurt in that N Texas game he wasn't going to make it against good SEC competition with that weak stuff he was throwing. His weaknesses were hid for the most part those first few games against the weak competition and he got away with throws he never would have much after that.
I couldn't tell he was hurt in the arky game. He didn't look any different vs north texas or umass.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mac strikes me as a guy that's just happy to be here. I don't see the drive you're talking about...on the sidelines, in pressers or on the recruiting trail. He's got another year or two to prove us non-believers wrong, thanks to a pitiful SECE.
I see a guy who has a veneer of what he wants to be publicly. As you say, we'll see.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Treon ahead of Grier. :lol:
I think this speaks volumes about our coaches ability to scout talent and make the correct choices regarding this program going forward. He literally couldn't tell the difference between a high caliber talent like Grier and a guy who should have been returning punts at best.....When do we ever see any in game OFFENSIVE adjustments??? Never I tell you because there are none.....When he trotted LDR onto the field in the second half of the Arky game and let the whole team get embarrassed by a HHHOOORRRRIIIBBBLLLE Arky defense, with the SEC East on the line, that was it for me....
I won't be shocked if he picks any of the 3 QB's to start the season.....I will be shocked if any of them are worth a damned though...I won't be shocked either when what should be a pretty badass running game slowly gets worse by mid to late season once teams figure we can't throw for a measly 200YPG to try and balance the offense a little....Sound familiar?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I had a long response but fcvk it.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

All you can do is "think". You don't know what is going on in Mac's head anymore than the rest of us. You are guessing just like we are. You just choose to guess for the negative. We choose to guess positive.

It's all still a guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.