We Talkin Bout The State of the Program!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's too soon to see or know any such stuff now, but after these sets of practices, will somebody be able to give us an unbiased report? (unbiased, so not from Swonky).

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
That doesn't answer the question. The question was how could it be a negative for Sirk to use one of our vacant scholarships.

I'm just curious how you are seeing the addition of a talented player to the roster as a negative.

I'll tell you why...I'd rather develop one of the RS freshmen. Period. No more stop gaps. No more grad transfers. We should NOT need this guy. Roll with Frask and get this offense rolling. No more excuses.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
The need to even consider it is the problem.

I'll tell you why...I'd rather develop one of the RS freshmen. Period. No more stop gaps. No more grad transfers. We should NOT need this guy. Roll with Frask and get this offense rolling. No more excuses.

We are obviously talking about two different things. The two of you are saying we should not need a QB. I am saying regardless of whether we need a QB or not, we have an open scholarship and this guy is talented.

If we had Tim Tebow and Danny Wuerffel in their prime as our first two QBs I would still want to take this transfer since we have an available scholarship.

What if we have two QB's go down with an injury or otherwise become unable to play? That's happened around here more than once.

There is absolutely no way it can hurt to have another talented player sitting on the bench. It's another arm to throw to the receivers in practice.

Lots of reasons it would be a good thing to take him.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
We are obviously talking about two different things. The two of you are saying we should not need a QB. I am saying regardless of whether we need a QB or not, we have an open scholarship and this guy is talented.

If we had Tim Tebow and Danny Wuerffel in their prime as our first two QBs I would still want to take this transfer since we have an available scholarship.

What if we have two QB's go down with an injury or otherwise become unable to play? That's happened around here more than once.

There is absolutely no way it can hurt to have another talented player sitting on the bench. It's another arm to throw to the receivers in practice.

Lots of reasons it would be a good thing to take him.

If he is looking to start and play...not ride the bench...why would he come here? Unless he was told he would be given every chance to start, right? Why come here to be 4th string?

Sorry 2222, this seem like an ominous sign to me.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
If he is looking to start and play...not ride the bench...why would he come here? Unless he was told he would be given every chance to start, right? Why come here to be 4th string?

Of course he wants to start. I would assume if he is good enough he would.

I still think we are talking about two different things. All I'm saying is regardless of who we have at QB and how good they are, it can't hurt to add talent to the roster. We have vacant scholarships. No one has told me how it is a bad thing to give one of the vacant scholarships to a talented player.

Empty seat or seat with a talented player. I fail to see how empty seat is a better thing.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Of course he wants to start. I would assume if he is good enough he would.

I still think we are talking about two different things. All I'm saying is regardless of who we have at QB and how good they are, it can't hurt to add talent to the roster. We have vacant scholarships. No one has told me how it is a bad thing to give one of the vacant scholarships to a talented player.

Empty seat or seat with a talented player. I fail to see how empty seat is a better thing.
You fail to see anything regarding Mac as negative. ANYTHING!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Heck Brandon Harris was told it would be a good place to be able to earn the starting job since we have 2 young unproven QBs. That is what it sounded like he said he was told anyway by the coaches. I guess the coaches always put the best spin on things but you still don't like hearing it. I would definitely rather get this QB than Brandon Harris.

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Regarding this Duke kid...I see a couple potential scenarios.

Option A: He is the real deal, wins the starting job, and we win the East and give Bama a run for their money. Also gives Frask another year to develop. Nothing wrong here.
Option B: He is ok, doesn't win the starting job but pushes Frask to be better. Also gives a quality backup in case of injury. Again, nothing wrong here.
Option C: He's not very good and never sniffs playing time. So what? The "empty chair" wouldn't sniff playing time either.

The only thing I could see as a potential downside to bringing him in is if he causes Frask/Allen to get frustrated, AND interpret the situation as writing on the wall that Mac won't play them over a transfer, again, AND they leave the program AND they perform well enough elsewehere for us to regret their leaving. Do we think this is a likely scenario? I don't.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016

That's just the point though......this isn't about Mac. It's about us adding another talented player to the arsenal. Again, I fail to see how an empty seat and scholarship is better than adding another talented player.

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
That's just the point though......this isn't about Mac. It's about us adding another talented player to the arsenal. Again, I fail to see how an empty seat and scholarship is better than adding another talented player.

And you fail to see that it's not the addition that's considered to be a negative. It's the principle behind the addition. If Mac is looking to add yet another graduate transfer to our program it tells the nation that he still doesn't trust one of his QBs that he recruited to turn around the program offensively. And that is what's the problem. And the fans see this. The media sees this. The recruits will see this. Why can't you?

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
And you fail to see that it's not the addition that's considered to be a negative. It's the principle behind the addition. If Mac is looking to add yet another graduate transfer to our program it tells the nation that he still doesn't trust one of his QBs that he recruited to turn around the program offensively. And that is what's the problem. And the fans see this. The media sees this. The recruits will see this. Why can't you?

That is precisely why I have continually said that we (not you in particular, but the two sides in this conversation) are talking about two different things.

I am talking about the addition of a talented player. There is absolutely no way that an empty chair could be a better alternative.

The other side has continually said they don't want the player. I get that there are disgruntled fans. However, even if you are unhappy with Mac, why would you not want to add a talented player?

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

You have failed to bring anything substantive to the conversation. ...just arguing against it.

In fact, the discussion is about whether UF should take / go after this guy. You see it as a (another) way to grind your axe against Mac, but regardless of who the coach is, the question could still be asked. You seem so focused on an argument that Mac is terrible that you conflate any topic with the evaluation of Mac.

I see others have joined the fray since I last refreshed my page, but I agree with 2222 that this question needs to stand alone for discussion. We should be able to discuss this topic without it being an indicator of Mac's success or failure with the current QB's.

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
You have failed to bring anything substantive to the conversation. ...just arguing against it.

In fact, the discussion is about whether UF should take / go after this guy. You see it as a (another) way to grind your axe against Mac, but regardless of who the coach is, the question could still be asked. You seem so focused on an argument that Mac is terrible that you conflate any topic with the evaluation of Mac.

I see others have joined the fray since I last refreshed my page, but I agree with 2222 that this question needs to stand alone for discussion. We should be able to discuss this topic without it being an indicator of Mac's success or failure with the current QB's.

But human nature will not allow that to happen. Naturally, we are going to view it within the context of the current crop of QBs. Any fan, analyst, coach, etc. would. That in itself is a statement to anyone following the game of football.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here are some other reasons it could be detrimental to go after this guy.
It could be negative if...
- the pursuit or landing of him throws off team chemistry.
- he comes and takes enough reps away from the QB who should get them, diminishing his improvement.
- , like BostonGator said, the pursuit of landing of this guy makes other QB's feel like Mac doesn't believe in them and we lose them for future games / seasons.

I think there are some possible negatives, but I also think there are some big upsides that have been pointed out. I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I hope that we can soon see the evidence of our program's recruiting and development of the QB position.

One potential positive outcome that hasn't been mentioned is this guy coming in and unseating LDR - who many think will be our first-string QB if any way possible. At least we wouldn't have LDR starting!
:snicker:

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Perhaps he didn't see it, but he did ask. :dunno:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
LOL. The question does NOT stand alone. Let's make this simple. DO we want an empty chair or another kid filling the spot? Sure, we'll take another breathing body. Done and done.

Now, let's get under the hood and look at what is underneath any decision to take ANOTHER grad transfer at the QB position. Peter pan actually made a great point...it's another arm taking away reps from Frask slowing their development. And God forbid this guy beats everyone out...I didn't want LDR starting and I don't want a guy who has two blown achilles heels starting either. Year 3 - let's roll with FRASK. I am willing to give these guys a shot and see where Mac can finally be the QB whisperer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator