Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
wheelchair-rug_2321078b.jpg

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Randy Shannon wanted the guy personally. The guy is one of the best LB coaches in the country. Ill trust his judgment on the guy. The 3 star ranking is probably something to do with his height.

The ole "I trust the coaches" comments.

Randy Shannon wanted him....because we don't have a line at the door w/ LBer's wanting to play here. Why? Who the hell knows....but we've signed 1 4-star LB in the last 2 classes (Moon). If you think recruits hold Shannon in such high regard as a some LB coach guru then you'd think we'd have a ton of LB's lined up wanting to play here, right? Well, wrong. The truth is is he is no better than any other LB coach in the SEC and it's proven by the talent (or lack of) that we are attracting. Sugar coating this doesn't make it any better....

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Randy Shannon wanted the guy personally. The guy is one of the best LB coaches in the country. Ill trust his judgment on the guy. The 3 star ranking is probably something to do with his height.
Randy is a mediocre at best recruiter. This is the guy that handpicked Chris McWilliams, a kid no bigger than normal high school freshman.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Its true that Shannon has not panned out as a top recruiter like everyone expected. He seems to be a decent coach but we were all expecting him to own south Fl. and that just hasnt happened.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Fvkkkin seriously? Wow.

Are you telling me you really dont see a problem?
Why...as in why are we offering a 3* star with a serious injury that'll keep him from playing his senior year in HS. Mac needs to upgrade his defensive staff before next year.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Randy is a mediocre at best recruiter. This is the guy that handpicked Chris McWilliams, a kid no bigger than normal high school freshman.

You mean you can't play in the SEC at 150 pounds?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
You mean you can't play in the SEC at 150 pounds?

Well, you can....but it may only be a couple of plays before you're backboarded and transported to Shands Trauma Center.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why...as in why are we offering a 3* star with a serious injury that'll keep him from playing his senior year in HS. Mac needs to upgrade his defensive staff before next year.
Sorry. Misunderstood.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Because this isn't Miss St

I thought that's what we already did. 1st year we won 10 games and our coach won HC of the year in the SEC what more could you ask for. I think it's an excuse to make you you feel better about the situation. Besides look what Kirby is doing in recruiting with not one snap as a HC.

My real question and this is not a joke, do you think that at some point elite talent sees the level of talent being brought in and is scared away? Kinda like when you see an elite 5* player commit and it has a trickle down effect and other jump on board.

If ****head Grier would've have not doped and allowed Treon to drive the end of the season into the ground, then I would agree with you. The end of the season killed momentum, and recruiting is about momentum. We were in on a lot of guys early and the end of the year killed us. Not saying we would have signed a single one of them, but it showed that the play at the end of the season killed recruiting. If we finish strong this year, we'll have a good class.

I by no means am saying we have great recruiters. Seems like Gray and Dixon are doing well, but we need much more than that. I'm with law about OL and DT, don't care about stars, get big strong pissed off guys. I think something at play also, is that Mac wants a certain mentality in his player. Meyer and Saban are willing to take some bad guys and hope they pan out. I think Bama does a better job of assimilating some guys because Saban has shown he is not afraid to jettison a guy for the next 5* lining up. We don't have that luxury. Mac wants great talent and character, and there just aren't that many out there. But yes if we have a solid year, especially the finish, we'll be just fine. Not saying these guys are great recruiters, just saying an actual good season (start to finish) will make a difference.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
If ****head Grier would've have not doped and allowed Treon to drive the end of the season into the ground, then I would agree with you. The end of the season killed momentum, and recruiting is about momentum. We were in on a lot of guys early and the end of the year killed us. Not saying we would have signed a single one of them, but it showed that the play at the end of the season killed recruiting. If we finish strong this year, we'll have a good class.

I by no means am saying we have great recruiters. Seems like Gray and Dixon are doing well, but we need much more than that. I'm with law about OL and DT, don't care about stars, get big strong pissed off guys. I think something at play also, is that Mac wants a certain mentality in his player. Meyer and Saban are willing to take some bad guys and hope they pan out. I think Bama does a better job of assimilating some guys because Saban has shown he is not afraid to jettison a guy for the next 5* lining up. We don't have that luxury. Mac wants great talent and character, and there just aren't that many out there. But yes if we have a solid year, especially the finish, we'll be just fine. Not saying these guys are great recruiters, just saying an actual good season (start to finish) will make a difference.
I can agree with what your saying my worry is what kind of year are we talking about? And how well can the coaches recover if we don't have the best year. A Saban/Meyer recovers and still has a solid recruiting class. Could this year be make are break cause if we have another average class it's going to be hard in the long run cause the talent level drops. And yes a few of the 3* players will be good players but I would like to know the stats on 3* players panning out per team. I know overall when you have 400 of them your going to have a few that go on to be HOF players but realistically out of the 32 Mac has brought in how many will be all Americans 5-7 that's not going to help the program in the long run.And after this commit we are once again at more 3* than 4* in this class.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
:bob: Guys recruiting is fine. We just need to win this fall and such and then the 4 and 5 stars will start jumping on Board. Isn't that how the pumpers explain it?

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I can agree with what your saying my worry is what kind of year are we talking about? And how well can the coaches recover if we don't have the best year. A Saban/Meyer recovers and still has a solid recruiting class. Could this year be make are break cause if we have another average class it's going to be hard in the long run cause the talent level drops. And yes a few of the 3* players will be good players but I would like to know the stats on 3* players panning out per team. I know overall when you have 400 of them your going to have a few that go on to be HOF players but realistically out of the 32 Mac has brought in how many will be all Americans 5-7 that's not going to help the program in the long run.And after this commit we are once again at more 3* than 4* in this class.
On Rivals, we are ranked #24, but #12 in average stars. We have more 4*s than 3*s at this point and that should improve further with a good year. We have two 3* DT's who are both LARGE guys, so I'm okay with this. What astounds me is that we have two LBs and an ATH who are 3*s. Now Miller is said to be impressing and will likely end up a 4*. The ATH is a very questionable pickup (QB from AL). This kid is a head scratcher tho. He is ranked higher than Miller also. I can only guess that LB recruiting is in the crapper....Well just looked up the LB class out of FL this year and outside of IMG, it pretty much sucks.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Did we really only get 1 commit from a 3 star at FNL? Not to overreact but what the heck is going on?

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Did we really only get 1 commit from a 3 star at FNL? Not to overreact but what the heck is going on?
To be fair, it appears end roads were made into several other prospects, but yeah, just the one and he has a torn ACL

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This staff is a disaster. Everyone, including coordinators, need to be evaluated for retention in December. Few should survive.

The excuses about momentum and Mushole we were in are crap. Plenty of coaching staffs come in and manage to sell their VISION of what the team will be. This staff can't. It's as simple as that. Tired of getting smoked on the recruiting trail by rookie coaches or retreads like Richt that are proven flops.

Yes, character matters but the results of recruiting like Kintucky or Cowbell are inevitable.

Wait til next year, I know. Tinerc has been saying it for a well over a decade.

Last edited:

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
On Rivals, we are ranked #24, but #12 in average stars. We have more 4*s than 3*s at this point and that should improve further with a good year. We have two 3* DT's who are both LARGE guys, so I'm okay with this. What astounds me is that we have two LBs and an ATH who are 3*s. Now Miller is said to be impressing and will likely end up a 4*. The ATH is a very questionable pickup (QB from AL). This kid is a head scratcher tho. He is ranked higher than Miller also. I can only guess that LB recruiting is in the crapper....Well just looked up the LB class out of FL this year and outside of IMG, it pretty much sucks.
But do you think this could be a make or break season for Mac based on some thinking a good year is all we need? Or do you think the talent brought in so far really can compete with the likes of the elite cause that is my concern. Can you come back from 3 straight classes filled with projects and only a few who can come in a make an impact against the big boys? Plus based on 247 ranks we have 6 3* 5 4* not to argue but that's usually where I go which I know they are all different

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
This staff is a disaster. Everyone, including coordinators, need to be evaluated for retention in December. Few should survive.

I'll give them the rest of this recruiting season before I jump on board. The obvious ones that need to go are Summers and Nord, no two ways about that.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I think we're in good shape the next few years on the offensive side with all the young OL and last year's recruiting class at the skill positions. I'm very concerned about what our defense will look like after 2017 the way we're recruiting. Something has to change or we're gonna be losing 42-37 against any team with a pulse.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
But do you think this could be a make or break season for Mac based on some thinking a good year is all we need? Or do you think the talent brought in so far really can compete with the likes of the elite cause that is my concern. Can you come back from 3 straight classes filled with projects and only a few who can come in a make an impact against the big boys? Plus based on 247 ranks we have 6 3* 5 4* not to argue but that's usually where I go which I know they are all different
Rivals has it flipped, and most consider them the go to service. I do have concerns, but doing what he did last year with what he had was pretty amazing. So I'll say this. I think Mac can do more with less, but he still needs a certain level of recruiting. I'm concerned about the defensive side of the ball, but I think if we can address DT with another JUCO in this class and an elite LB, we'll be fine. I think the offensive side can carry us for a few years after the crap from Muschamp. If the offense is high power, the cries for firing will be delayed. I think Mac was fortunate to have Johnson and Reese perform as well as they did during the spring game, so LB isn't as critical as we thought, but still very important.

I don't think we can give Mac a 3 year limit either, the mess was too great. They have absolutely crapped the bed on defense recruiting last year. This year seems to have better secondary help ready to come on and if we get an elite LB in the class along with another game ready DT, he'll have bought some time. I think he has the program progressing. I don't see us getting an elite LB recruit this cycle, so unfortunately we'll probably have to hope for one of these 3*s turn into another Davis. I think we get another DT, maybe two.

I think Mac is starting to weed out some guys and we may end up with a full class. Something I never thought was possible this cycle. The OL recruiting is scaring me now. We need a min of 4 this year. I think we'll do fine on offense moving forward if we take care of OL. We can get by with 3* LB's if we take care of DT.

I think it's also important to look at what he's done in a short time. QB was in a horrible state and he now has what seems to be a solid group for the foreseeable future. Receivers are fixed when we take into account TE's and RB's out of the backfield. He's rebuilt the RB stable. OL numbers are up. DT is being addressed in this class, need at least one more. We need some better talent at DB in this cycle, and we need some quality LBs. So there are a lot of positives, and he needs to continue to make progress on the roster.

Also, I do expect some coaches to be gone after this year if recruiting doesn't pickup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator