Welcome 3* OLB James Houston

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If ****head Grier would've have not doped and allowed Treon to drive the end of the season into the ground, then I would agree with you. The end of the season killed momentum, and recruiting is about momentum. We were in on a lot of guys early and the end of the year killed us. Not saying we would have signed a single one of them, but it showed that the play at the end of the season killed recruiting. If we finish strong this year, we'll have a good class.

I by no means am saying we have great recruiters. Seems like Gray and Dixon are doing well, but we need much more than that. I'm with law about OL and DT, don't care about stars, get big strong pissed off guys. I think something at play also, is that Mac wants a certain mentality in his player. Meyer and Saban are willing to take some bad guys and hope they pan out. I think Bama does a better job of assimilating some guys because Saban has shown he is not afraid to jettison a guy for the next 5* lining up. We don't have that luxury. Mac wants great talent and character, and there just aren't that many out there. But yes if we have a solid year, especially the finish, we'll be just fine. Not saying these guys are great recruiters, just saying an actual good season (start to finish) will make a difference.

Why did Muschamp bring in all those high rated guys his 2nd recruiting class then? We looked pretty pedestrian in his first season. I know some of them didn't work out but we had top players especially on defense if I remember correctly signing to come here. I know there is time to turn recruiting around some but we haven't been close to Rivals top 10 in either totals or average star rating these past 2 classes. Spurrier when he came here got a lot of the very top rated players from Florida in his first recruiting class. Zook and Muschamp both had top 3 classes in their 2nd recruiting class after having 5 and 6 loss seasons. This defensive recruiting is getting a little worrisome.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why did Muschamp bring in all those high rated guys his 2nd recruiting class then? We looked pretty pedestrian in his first season. I know some of them didn't work out but we had top players especially on defense if I remember correctly signing to come here. I know there is time to turn recruiting around some but we haven't been close to Rivals top 10 in either totals or average star rating these past 2 classes. Spurrier when he came here got a lot of the very top rated players from Florida in his first recruiting class. Zook and Muschamp both had top 3 classes in their 2nd recruiting class after having 5 and 6 loss seasons. This defensive recruiting is getting a little worrisome.
Those kids had seen a NC at UF, but remember we missed on about 6 or more kids on NSD that cycle. And yes, that class had some stars but was very similar to Meyers last classes here.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Those kids had seen a NC at UF, but remember we missed on about 6 or more kids on NSD that cycle. And yes, that class had some stars but was very similar to Meyers last classes here.

I hope we close out this class good but if we don't something needs to change that is for sure. I can't believe we are missing on all these top Florida recruits when we are the SEC school in the state. Its strange its worse on defense considering that is the side of the ball still playing good right now. It almost makes you think facilities must be a big part of it.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hope we close out this class good but if we don't something needs to change that is for sure. I can't believe we are missing on all these top Florida recruits when we are the SEC school in the state. Its strange its worse on defense considering that is the side of the ball still playing good right now. It almost makes you think facilities must be a big part of it.
Gray may be the only good recruiter on that side. To be honest, I don't care if we recruit 3* LB's if Shannon can keep developing kids like Johnson and Reese. I'm more worried about Rumph and Collins. Rumph failed to bring any DTs in last year. I think Offense is ok, so long as we get the OL covered.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
This staff needs at least four full years before we even critique them.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I do have concerns, but doing what he did last year with what he had was pretty amazing.
Yes, it was amazing that we landed our second worst class in modern history. There is nothing amazingly good about that class.

So I'll say this. I think Mac can do more with less, but he still needs a certain level of recruiting.
Your only touch of sanity. Saban was a mediocre coach with mediocre talent.

I think it's also important to look at what he's done in a short time.
I don't know what you are talking about. He has signed two classes and isn't anywhere near competing for championships. At best, we are Mizzu looking at possible back to back east crowns. That says more about how bad the east sucks than it does about Mac.

Why did Muschamp bring in all those high rated guys his 2nd recruiting class then? We looked pretty pedestrian in his first season.
EXACTLY. The second season is usually THE BEST class for a new coach. For SOS and Meyer it spawned championships.

Those kids had seen a NC at UF.
That is a pathetic excuse. Richt and Harballs are killing it and neither school had sniffed a championship in recent memory. SOS hadn't won an NC.

It's all about selling the product. Mac is likeable and well respected by the kids it seems, the assistants aren't (except Gray). I know that they were not, except Nussmeier, his first, second, or third choices. Several probably werent on the list at all. We get what we pay for.

One has to wonder how much getting Fooley out of the house will help. Mac has been relentless in improving the facilities. We still have recruits talking about how old and terrible they are compared to the competitions. Once Fooley is gone, I suspect both coaching staff and facilities will get a huge upgrade.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Yes, it was amazing that we landed our second worst class in modern history. There is nothing amazingly good about that class.

I don't know what you are talking about. He has signed two classes and isn't anywhere near competing for championships. At best, we are Mizzu looking at possible back to back east crowns. That says more about how bad the east sucks than it does about Mac.

EXACTLY. The second season is usually THE BEST class for a new coach. For SOS and Meyer it spawned championships.

That is a pathetic excuse. Richt and Harballs are killing it and neither school had sniffed a championship in recent memory. SOS hadn't won an NC.

It's all about selling the product. Mac is likeable and well respected by the kids it seems, the assistants aren't (except Gray). I know that they were not, except Nussmeier, his first, second, or third choices. Several probably werent on the list at all. We get what we pay for.

One has to wonder how much getting Fooley out of the house will help. Mac has been relentless in improving the facilities. We still have recruits talking about how old and terrible they are compared to the competitions. Once Fooley is gone, I suspect both coaching staff and facilities will get a huge upgrade.
I think what the one poster was talking about when he said why did Muschamp bring in a good 2nd class he was referring to his 2nd class which in turn is his 1st full cycle class not his transition class. When you compare the 1st full cycle classes Zook, Meyer, and Muschamp had way more talent in their 1st full cycle class than Mac.

Everyone always says you can't base a coaching recruiting abilities on his transition year you have to wait for his 1st full cycle to really gage how well he can recruit and Mac's 1st full cycle class how no wow factors in it like other said coaches.

I'm not saying he can't turn that around but looking at recruiting so far this year and just looking around on what's being said I don't see a lot of the elite players predicted to come to UF. Hell everything I'm on 247 and look at the crystal ball predictions it's always 3* players that's predicted to come here. 1 commit from FNL and it's a kid who tore an acl and won't even play his SR year. That use to be a big time recruiting weekend for us and something to gain some traction in recruiting but this year was a flop in terms of recruiting.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Why...as in why are we offering a 3* star with a serious injury that'll keep him from playing his senior year in HS. Mac needs to upgrade his defensive staff before next year.

He's underrated

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It'll be interesting to see how many of these guys move up the rankings (or down) during their senior season.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Why...as in why are we offering a 3* star with a serious injury that'll keep him from playing his senior year in HS. Mac needs to upgrade his defensive staff before next year.

Mac needs to upgrade himself

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This kid had offers from a lot of good programs (Clemson, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Tennessee). Yeah... he is coming off an ACL, but he will recover from that during his senior year and would probably redshirt as a freshman anyway, so he has plenty of time to recover and learn before he hits the field.

As far as FNL as a whole... I think it is hard to know if it is a success or failure yet. The reality is we got some key guys on campus and that could help us get them as commits at a later point. Time will tell if we land those guys and if it is a success. I think we all know that recruiting has to get better, but that doesn't mean you are going to get 5 commits at FNL... a lot of these kids like to wait and I would prefer they wait then flip.

Navaughn Donaldson 4* OT - Miami commit - said Florida is now in the mix after checking out the school - https://www.seccountry.com/florida/gators-make-impression-on-miami-ol-commit-navaughn-donaldson

Hamsah Nasirildeen 4* S - spoke very highly about Torrian Gray - https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...s-gators-db-coach-eyes-florida-official-visit

Mark Pope 2018 WR - The 6-foot, 165-pound prospect planned to choose this summer between Alabama and Florida, but he’s holding off after visiting UF. The Crimson Tide were expected to land his commitment. - https://www.seccountry.com/florida/jim-mcelwain-has-miami-wr-mark-pope-dreaming-about-florida

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I think you are confusing what I think about Mac's job on the field with his recruiting

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Confuse-us Says : "Smothering one's hope for the future, suffocates the life out of one's present and
dishevels the propitiousness of the processions of one's past."

All these gloom-doomers' rataplan polylogizing shows they think of Mac as some thaumaturge….
There, I've spoke my mind.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
All these gloom-doomers' rataplan polylogizing shows they think of Mac as some thaumaturge….

Really? I would have thunk that the pumpers were (the ones) more likely to see Mac as a prestidigitator.

Last edited:

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Confuse-us Says : "Smothering one's hope for the future, suffocates the life out of one's present and
dishevels the propitiousness of the processions of one's past."

There, I've spoke my mind.
:scratchhead:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly.

Who was the guy from Colorado, Denver maybe that always posted crazy shiit? Like he was always stoned type crazy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator