Welcome new UF Basketball Coach Michael White

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
They should at least make the tournament next year. Egbunu will be the D post presence they lacked last year. Finney-Smith should be motivated big-time to keep his focus for the pros. One of the PG's can surely learn how to make FT's - right? Devon Walker is back. Murphy should be better. They have shooting guards that should more than make up for Finley's injury-marred season.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n224796 said:
Then what are your expectations coming off the year we just had, with the roster we have and a first year HC? You seem to be belittling making the tourney, which I think would be a nice accomplishment next season.

There is absolutely no reason, NONE, that we shouldn't make the tourney. We should have made it this year even as bad as we were. If we could make a ducking free throw we would have.

Screw this "I hope we make the tourney" talk. Good gawd.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n224877 said:
There is absolutely no reason, NONE, that we shouldn't make the tourney. We should have made it this year even as bad as we were. If we could make a ducking free throw we would have.

I'm just not as optimistic as most of y'all. I don't see a ton of talent returning and we're only an injury or two away from some really bad times. DFS is the only player I saw last year that I have any real confidence in. Hopefully, a year and the new class changes that.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n224879 said:
I'm just not as optimistic as most of y'all. I don't see a ton of talent returning and we're only an injury or two away from some really bad times. DFS is the only player I saw last year that I have any real confidence in. Hopefully, a year and the new class changes that.

I'm not an optimistic person by nature but I just don't think the bar is as low as hoping to make the tourney.

To be honest, in hind sight, I think Billy might have mailed it in a little this year.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n224881 said:
I'm not an optimistic person by nature but I just don't think the bar is as low as hoping to make the tourney.

To be honest, in hind sight, I think Billy might have mailed it in a little this year.

I don't know if I'd say he mailed it in. I just think we didn't have the horses. One of his worst rosters while in Gainesville in my opinion.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n224882 said:
I don't know if I'd say he mailed it in. I just think we didn't have the horses. One of his worst rosters while in Gainesville in my opinion.

Agree.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n224881 said:
I'm not an optimistic person by nature
:shocked:

I do agree with you though, that making the tourney every year is expected now.

GatorBenji

Sep 6, 2014
So with a whole year of recruiting.. Do u guys want White to at least bring a top 20 class next year or higher?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBenji;n224965 said:
So with a whole year of recruiting.. Do u guys want White to at least bring a top 20 class next year or higher?

If he wants to win, he better be able to recruit well. The SEC will be getting better with some of the new coaches in the league. Last year proved that no matter how good of a coach you are, you'd better have some playmakers to win.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBenji;n224965 said:
I think he should. It takes top talent like mjm says. There's actually alot of in state talent next year hopefully we can keep some of these kids home.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
NVGator;n224877 said:

I can appreciate your elevated expectations, however I don't share them. Knowing we hit NIT levels after our NC's, and seeing how badly the team buckled throughout last season. Yeah, some FTs could have made the difference in enough games to get into the tourney, but so could more defensive stops, better shot selection and accuracy, and just about every other trait a winning team exhibits that our team lacked. Fwiw, I am inclined to agree Billy mailed it in a bit last year - seems his frustration with players not buying in or performing as he expected of them may have impacted his desire to try and coach them. That said, with nearly two decades of great seasons on his resume, I'm inclined to believe he was still a great coach.

Why do I add that last line? Because I'm not sold on us having a good roster. I'm also not bought in on the new coach simply because I don't know enough about him and what he can do with the roster and whatever talent he can recruit. Too many unknowns for this coming year for me to maintain expectations of qualifying for the tourney when I'm trading a known great coach for a somewhat unknown/unproven coach, with relatively the same roster. Like JMac, I'm giving White a mulligan year to figure it out, get 'his players', and instill a team philosophy and get buy in. Year one is a bit quick to have that figured out, in place, and providing the results required to qualify for a seed.

Obviously, I'm not an optomist, but I won't call myself a realist either. I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic, or better put I expect less until the coach shows me he can provide more, at which time I'll raise my expectations.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
http://youtu.be/wl91L-9E_4I
John Egbunu...hope link works.
For all you pussie negative nellies.
This kid may be the most polished big man the University has ever had and he is only a sophomore. He is from Nigeria and can run all night.
Choo-Choo.....get on board.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n225581 said:
This kid may be the most polished big man the University has ever had and he is only a sophomore. He is from Nigeria and can run all night.
I like you man

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

Can't wait to see this guy in action. Billy D did say he was working hard on his offensive skill set.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n225518 said:
I can appreciate your elevated expectations, however I don't share them. Knowing we hit NIT levels after our NC's, and seeing how badly the team buckled throughout last season. Yeah, some FTs could have made the difference in enough games to get into the tourney, but so could more defensive stops, better shot selection and accuracy, and just about every other trait a winning team exhibits that our team lacked. Fwiw, I am inclined to agree Billy mailed it in a bit last year - seems his frustration with players not buying in or performing as he expected of them may have impacted his desire to try and coach them. That said, with nearly two decades of great seasons on his resume, I'm inclined to believe he was still a great coach.

Why do I add that last line? Because I'm not sold on us having a good roster. I'm also not bought in on the new coach simply because I don't know enough about him and what he can do with the roster and whatever talent he can recruit. Too many unknowns for this coming year for me to maintain expectations of qualifying for the tourney when I'm trading a known great coach for a somewhat unknown/unproven coach, with relatively the same roster. Like JMac, I'm giving White a mulligan year to figure it out, get 'his players', and instill a team philosophy and get buy in. Year one is a bit quick to have that figured out, in place, and providing the results required to qualify for a seed.

Obviously, I'm not an optomist, but I won't call myself a realist either. I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic, or better put I expect less until the coach shows me he can provide more, at which time I'll raise my expectations.

A mulligan is indicative of a do over. You actually have to have a year completed in position to have a mulligan.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Does he have shooting range outside of a dunk? That video looked like it was some kind of slam dunk contest.

Looks pretty good though, in all seriousness. Chris Walker type of skills. Thanks for the vid.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
PastyStoole;n225833 said:
Does he have shooting range outside of a dunk? That video looked like it was some kind of slam dunk contest.

Looks pretty good though, in all seriousness. Chris Walker type of skills. Thanks for the vid.

He made some baby hooks in there. Reminds me more of Vernon Maclin than CW.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
PastyStoole;n225833 said:

He 's got 55-60 pounds on Chis and can run all night instead of 2 minutes. Hard to tell for sure from highlights. We shall see.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Chris walker doesn't have any type of skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator