Were Mac's critics right?

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Was he worse than Harris? I'm not sure there's ever been anybody worse than Treon Harris was.

We'll never know because Mac never tried anything new.

We thought nobody could be worse than Driskel, then we got Harris. We thought nobody could be worse than Harris, then we got Del Rio. See a trend? :lol:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
End of year one was too soon, too many variables to consider. He walked into a mess offensively and had his starting QB crap the bed with no spare sheets. Year one wasn't telling enough, but year two recruiting was as well as various decisions made during the season. I want Mac to succeed, I really do, but I have doubts just like everyone else. We're stuck with him for year three, so let's hope he gets it together.

Nailed it

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
I know this thread is not original but it's a board to discuss gator football, so Dan and CU-UF if you don't like the content of this thread, start some of your own. Pump some sunshine while your at it.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I know this thread is not original but it's a board to discuss gator football, so Dan and CU-UF if you don't like the content of this thread, start some of your own. Pump some sunshine while your at it.

:burn:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I think Del Rio is better than Harris. Not markedly better. But better.

Well Treon had his fair share of bright moments as a starter but yeah, we are splitting hairs.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think one of his issues was hiring Nuss as OC instead of going with the one he had at Colorado State who seemed to be more creative on offense. Just because someone had SEC experience doesnt mean they are a good choice.
It shouldn't matter who any good offensive coaches oc is. I can't name any of spurriers oc's. This is Macs offense.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I feel the love. My point is there is no way someone being objective can say Mac is not it. Nor can they say Mac IS it. Just shy of two years of him running the program. Perhaps if he only won 5 games the last two years you could clearly say the negative. Yes there are concerns and I would say the jury is still out. But if he wins 10 games next year is he still not it?

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
I feel the love. My point is there is no way someone being objective can say Mac is not it. Nor can they say Mac IS it. Just shy of two years of him running the program. Perhaps if he only won 5 games the last two years you could clearly say the negative. Yes there are concerns and I would say the jury is still out. But if he wins 10 games next year is he still not it?
I'm in the camp that I hope he turns it around but I don't see how with the way recruiting has gone. I worry that by year 4 if we are still middling record wise and recruiting wise, it may take forever to fully recover.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Right, because everyone knows you make a real sound evaluation of a coach, with a winning record mind you, after a little under two years....
I have this really weird gift. I can see the ingredients my wife has and actually guess what dinner will be.

Strange, huh?

I dont even have to wait until its done to know whether we are having lasagna or pot roast.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I feel the love. My point is there is no way someone being objective can say Mac is not it.
Its pretty easy actually. No harder, really, than knowing we were heading off the cliff w Chimp even though he went 12-1-1 in 2012.

The results of his recruiting and coaching style were evident.

Is it possible he could change completely after 35 years? I guess its possible and if he adds two great coordinators and some recruiters, things could change. If he was the kind of guy who could evaluate coordinators we never would have hired Nusschamp.

Donkeys dont change their stripes.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Bottom line is he doesn't have the ability to coach players up. This year proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt. Our offense still rated above 100 is unacceptable. The inability to recruit is huge. That punishes the program for years. The longer he stays, the worse it gets. This screw up by Foley will cost us dearly. Mac actually thinks he's doing a great job. Next year will be a long year. You have to hope the new AD knows what's happening. Revenues will go down sharply shortly. An increase in the price of tickets now is rediculous.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
While I wasn't necessarily thinking Mac was a bad coach I know I was sounding the alarm very early that mac and this staff couldn't recruit. That was not a lucky guess. It was obvious.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator