Were Mac's critics right?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
you can see that in the scripted plays,
The problem is when things don't go as scripted he has no response....none....zip....And we get blown out. To this point he has been lucky with the directional schools we've played....If I were a betting man I'd bet his luck runs out next season(less talent to save him) and he sh!ts the bed against one of our cupcakes the way Muschamp did against GS....

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The problem is when things don't go as scripted he has no response....none....zip....And we get blown out. To this point he has been lucky with the directional schools we've played....If I were a betting man I'd bet his luck runs out next season(less talent to save him) and he sh!ts the bed against one of our cupcakes the way Muschamp did against GS....

The question is it Mac's script and Nuss on in game adjustments. We don't have the information to say one way or another.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I will allow people to stumble.

However, I am afraid we are just wallowing around on the ground in recruiting, and we have to do better in recruiting to be elite.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
:lol:
The question is it Mac's script and Nuss on in game adjustments. We don't have the information to say one way or another.
When one of our employees f vck something up I'm still responsible.....well, actually my wife is because she's the big boss:lol:, but in the end the Head coach is responsible for whatever results end up on the field....

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:lol:
When one of our employees f vck something up I'm still responsible.....well, actually my wife is because she's the big boss:lol:, but in the end the Head coach is responsible for whatever results end up on the field....

With this response it shows you didn't read my initial response to this. Because that is what I answered.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I got concerned when :law: pointed out that we're going backwards instead of forward on filling our roster back to 85. I see/saw potential in the offense. We do seem to get guys open somehow, even with poor route running by the WRs. We just can't seem to find a QB that can actually get the ball to them accurately and on time. But if Mac won't recruit enough bodies to build our depth, he's a dead man walking. You simply cannot make it in the SEC with only 65-70 scholarship players. You just can't absorb the injuries sustained during the season and still have quality to step in when you're so low on numbers. When he first started taking so many 3* guys, I tried to convince myself it was for depth, because we all knew we needed depth badly thanks to Muschump's poor recruiting (#s wise, yes I know he brought in some great players, but he sucked @ss at managing the roster #s at all positions). Unfortunately that's not the case at all. He's been recruiting all those 3* guys to be his starters, and has still failed to recruit any quality depth at all. That tells me he's probably, and quite unfortunately for UF, out of his league and in over his head at this level. It saddens me because I know if we have to fire Mac and hire a new HC, it will only put us in the same tailspin UT has been going through and the next thing you know "WE" will be celebrating the brickyard bowl wins in week 2.

:wobble:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I see/saw potential in the offense. We do seem to get guys open somehow, even with poor route running by the WRs. We just can't seem to find a QB that can actually get the ball to them accurately and on time. But if Mac won't recruit enough bodies to build our depth,
I'm actually OK with Mac's system offensively although I think it would benefit to have a more athletic QB for when things breakdown. Not a true running QB but someone who is pass first and can also move the sticks on 3rd down occasionally with his legs....Grier was perfect.....Anyway the problem with Mac seems to be selling(recruit) enough high level players to make it work.....or develop enough average players to do the same....If you can't do one of those you damned well better be able to do the other....so far he's shown neither.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Muscrap could at least recruit. Mac either doesn't know how or thinks it's automatic being the Florida Gators. I hate to feel as badly about the state of the program now plus if he's here another year or two it's going to be prolonged misery at the highest. If we hadn't just gone through the Muscrap misery, it would be a little easier to endure. Lots of fans already know another change is necessary. If it isn't done sooner rather than later revenues will drop sharply. Plus..... Foley's butt needs to be run out of town ASAP.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
What does this mean? How would you (or anyone other than those who have real responsibility or influence in the situation) be hurt by holding off a conclusion that Mac needs to be fired? Is there some danger that I'm unaware of associated with continuing to watch and root for our program and it's current coach?

...other than message board credibility? :lol2:

Sorry for the laugh. I really do want an answer to the question.
Nice use of the straw man to try and "make fun of me." I'm so hurt.

Let me try and break it down into simpler terms that maybe you can understand. I am not going to invest any time in trying to convince myself of the delusion that Mac is a good coach and is doing good work here. I'm not going to try and defend his performance from an ever growing body of critics just to prove I'm a better Gator than they are. Not because of any hidden message board dangers or in some misplaced desire for Chatter Cred, but because I have better things to do. If you have convinced yourself that you have to believe Mac (or insert head coach name here) is great in order to be a better fan than me, that's your right. I have watched years of near incompetent Gator football and am just tired of it and tired of the excuses and tired of the excuse makers. If he can't produce, fire him and get somebody that can. These guys are being paid millions of dollars for results, not to win Life Championships and to make us all feel good about ourselves. If that's your thing, good for you, its not mine.

I imagine you probably defended Muschamp right up to the bitter end too as just being a good guy who was a victim of circumstances beyond his control and mean fans like me.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nice use of the straw man to try and "make fun of me." I'm so hurt.

Let me try and break it down into simpler terms that maybe you can understand. I am not going to invest any time in trying to convince myself of the delusion that Mac is a good coach and is doing good work here. I'm not going to try and defend his performance from an ever growing body of critics just to prove I'm a better Gator than they are. Not because of any hidden message board dangers or in some misplaced desire for Chatter Cred, but because I have better things to do. If you have convinced yourself that you have to believe Mac (or insert head coach name here) is great in order to be a better fan than me, that's your right. I have watched years of near incompetent Gator football and am just tired of it and tired of the excuses and tired of the excuse makers. If he can't produce, fire him and get somebody that can. These guys are being paid millions of dollars for results, not to win Life Championships and to make us all feel good about ourselves. If that's your thing, good for you, its not mine.

I imagine you probably defended Muschamp right up to the bitter end too as just being a good guy who was a victim of circumstances beyond his control and mean fans like me.

I never said or tried to indicate that I'm a better fan than you. It seems to me that you're saying that if you give up and lower your expectations, then it won't be as painful when we lose / perform poorly. Detaching yourself from the performance of the team saves you from the pain. I get that.

Tell you what, you give up on and complain about the current staff (of course hoping for a better staff soon) and I won't crack on you. I'll root for success with the current staff as long as I can and you can give me a break too. Deal?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
None of us are hoping this staff fails...we're just watching it happen in real time.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
It's his intransigence about the QB situation that de cided it for me.

Well I am not sure what you mean about intransigence, but his apparent inability to coach up a QB is disturbing. I am fine with how the Grier situation was handled, but someone else even a walk on should have been found to make the offense respectable. That certainly would have been the case with any other successful coach UF had.

Also to beat a dead horse I keep beating, it is McElwain's failure to decisively beat lesser teams that has led to much concern about him. Had UF beaten say Vandy by 28 to 7 rather than by 9 to 7, SoCar by 31 to 14 rather than by 24 to 14 and FAU by 35 to 14 rather than by 20 to 14 in OT, then most of us would have taken the offensive ineptitude against FSU and UAL as a sign of how good their defenses were not how bad UF's offense was.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
At this 2-year point we've seen enough of Mac to know how he operates, coaches, communicates and relate that to the results we've seen on the field. Most of us have enough knowledge of football to know what we're looking for and what we believe are red flags. I'd love to think otherwise at this point but I'm convinced the man is in over his head, was hired for coaching skills he doesn't possess, cannot communicate his message effectively and is an incredible dumpster fire in recruiting. One more season, then gone. At least Foley isn't here to fukup the next Gator hire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator