What would it take to get you to change your opinion of Mac?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mac is the best, we are the best. he could not improve a single thing in my mind. We are going to win the natty this year. :pumper:

Not sure of your sincerity.......

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
At least 2-3 against Georgia, FSU, and Alabama. An offense that can consistently move the ball. No blowout losses.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I happen to agree with most of this but when you look at the quality or lack of in our division I think 9 wins should be a benchmark for progression this season. Lets face it, the defense in all likelihood will take a few games if not about half a season to get their feet completely under them before they are able to function as a unit due to loss of starters from last year. Despite that we should always have more raw talent on our roster than anyone in the East with the exception of possibly UGA....The other factor is on Butters shoulders to find a way to get the ball into the hands of our best players on offense despite our shortcomings at QB. Other coaches and programs do it and win games so it's time for Butters to prove he can win games without always leaning on a top 10 defense.......

Our more talented 2007 team could only win 9 games because of the young defense. 9 wins is certainly possible, especially since most of our tougher teams are home or neutral games, but let's not pretend that we suddenly have more talent than the majority of teams on our schedule. Michigan, UT, LSU, A&M, UGA, and FSU (literally half the teams on our schedule) have had better or just as good recruiting classes as ours the last few years.

I know it sounds like I'm lowering the bar, but Mac actually did that when he let a lot of these teams out recruit him, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Now that recruiting has picked up, the expectation will be for him to win at least 10 games next year with a good offense of course.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Be competitive! And I mean competitive in every game. I'm not as worried about W L this year as I am wanting to be competitive in every game. I'll take 7-5 all day if our offense is better and we don't lose any games by more than 7 points. I'd rather that than go 9-3 but lose to 3 teams by 20+ points but win the other games. And also I want to see the recruiting continue to rise like it is. I want a buzz around the team going into 2018. Give me that and I'll begin to change my mind on Mac.

I highly doubt that. If we go 7-5 and lose 5 close games I will be shocked if you don't complain about Mac's ability to win close games or his poor coaching that cost us to lose those games...

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
It would take mac owning and destroying and perverting and babiking jboss in order for me to get on board. :D

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I highly doubt that. If we go 7-5 and lose 5 close games I will be shocked if you don't complain about Mac's ability to win close games or his poor coaching that cost us to lose those games...
In reality good/great coaches don't lose more than once a season to inferior teams. I for one would think he should be fired for going 7-5 this year or any other year for that matter. 3 recruiting classes into your tenure as HC at UF you should have amassed enough talent not to fall below 8 wins especially when the East is garbage for the most part. A couple of "wins" on the recruiting trail lately still doesn't mean Butters can coach....this is the perfect season for him to prove he can....

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Aside from the obvious that others have posted(wins, fsu, SEC), I'm going to throw in that he needs to develop a QB...and quickly. This transfer thing is fine, and somewhat understandable given what he inherited. But there hasn't been marked improvement from anyone, based on reports. If Franks is incapable of starting after 2 Springs and 2 Falls...if Allen is already an afterthought...and if LDR is still "his guy", I think we officially have a problem. You can, and sometimes have to, recruit your way out of a bad spot. But going into year 3, even with the Grier debacle, I think we need to see some development there, or we'll never take the next step.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
You can choose to believe what you want but I'm telling the truth. I want to see progress and not losing a game by more than 7 points is progress compared to what we've seen from this team against good teams. And this only applies to this year not other years. Because once you see the progress then the following years needs to show more progress

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You can choose to believe what you want but I'm telling the truth. I want to see progress and not losing a game by more than 7 points is progress compared to what we've seen from this team against good teams. And this only applies to this year not other years. Because once you see the progress then the following years needs to show more progress

I hope we don't get to find out. 7-5 yet being competitive in games would be a miserable year IMO

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
I am very curious on what it would take for people to define Mac as being on a track toward success. What say you?

Well, I for one was already on board the "Mac Train" since I actually place a lot of significance on winning the East 2 years in a row regardless of how the quality of the East may have been at the time. This is still the SEC after all and those teams had a significant number of NFL players on their rosters. I actually got on board the first year when he took a quarterback who'd been mostly ignored by the previous coach and turned him into a solid player and showed what our offense could possibly become with a competent QB. Then, when that QB was suddenly (stupidly) out of the mix, he found a way to sneak into the SECCG despite having to use our only other QB on the roster, who wasn't really a QB skill wise at all, and to work around our kicker who couldn't hardly be depended on to make an extra point, much less a field goal. He then followed that up with a repeat SECCG appearance despite using marginal QB transfers and having to navigate a list of injuries that were off the chart. (It should be noted that the previous coach allowed a total melt down when faced with a similar injury plague culminating in a loss to Ga. Southern.) He even delivered a blow out bowl win over a good Iowa team in spite of having to use freshmen and walk-ons to play key roles on a defense that was the crucial factor to the team's success all year. He has also delivered increasingly effective recruiting classes each year and, more importantly, has shown an ability to develop many of those players into real contributors and, in some cases, even game breakers. He has also been highly effective in identifying 3 stars with high upsides and has actually been able to develop several of them from role players into potential NFL level contributors. Perhaps most important of all, he has established a new administrative support culture, as evidenced by the recent infrastructure improvements, and a new team culture that, combined with the improved facilities, is apparently creating a pretty compelling environment given the recent trends in recruiting.

Overall, I think Mac has shown a real ability to adapt and overcome through his first 2 years which was an essential success factor toward UF's attempt to regain its former position on the national landscape. This is especially impressive given the quantity and levels of the dumpster fires he inherited. Though I fully admit that there is still a great deal to prove on the field at this point, I am very optimistic as to our ability to make tremendous strides in that direction simply because we now have a full roster of players across the team with appropriate depth at almost every position (with linebacker as an unfortunate exception). This year we should be able to finally once again be able to match up on the field with almost any team we'll face (including FSU). It definitely remains to be seen how big of a jump we've made overall, but I will be extremely surprised if our team's offense in any way resembles the train wreck waiting to happen we've become so accustomed to since Meyer's last year.

In all honesty, given the uniquely messed up situation Muschamp left in his wake, I am surprised that anyone still has a significant beef with Coach Mac at this point given that:
  • he has been able to win back to back East titles with very flawed QB's, sub-par offensive talent in general, severe depth issues in key defensive positions, and significant injuries to critical positions for key games that by all rights should have derailed us given how thin our margin for error has been.
  • he has been able to convince the Administration to make large investments in much needed infrastructure enhancements to make us competitive with other elite programs
  • he has developed an appealing team culture which is clearly starting to pay large dividends in recruiting
  • he has developed his in state network within the state high schools which is also paying huge dividends in recruiting.
  • he has helped elevate numerous players into NFL draft-able prospects
  • and he has brought us back into the national conversation as we lead up to this season given him every opportunity to lead this team back into the premier tier of teams that tend to drive college football.
I am not sure what more one could ask a guy to accomplish over a 2 year period given where we started.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
UF to the NFL as the newest Expansion team. Go Gators!!
giphy.gif

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
He needs to beat Michigan or at the very least be VERY VERY competitive in that game.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
He needs to beat Michigan or at the very least be VERY VERY competitive in that game.
There is no reason a decent SEC team shouldn't beat this Michigan team. They lost half their roster to the NFL, and the players coming in, didn't get any PT. So they are extremely green behind the gills. Its time to Nuss up or shut up....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator