Will we see a more aggressive offense under McElwain/Nussmeier?

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
It is really about scoring more points and if we can score an average of 7 pts more per game that will be a big improvement. Our defense should be good again and if we get those 7 pts more per game, we will have more wins than last year. But along with many other Gators on this Board and elsewhere, I have no feeling whatever for what this team will be like.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n242589 said:
The offense for the last two years at CSU was very much a pass based spread. Given what has been said in the interviews, this won't be the offense.

Honestly, I have no idea what to expect, other than, due to the OL, what we see next year likely won't be what we see long-term.

There's only 2 roads for this to go down.

1. You are admitting that you've spent time actually watching the little girls conference games. (I highly doubt this)

or

2. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

My my vote is in #2 but then again you answered it in your final statement as well.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox;n242608 said:
Law you are on record saying you don't like defensive head coaches because OCs get hired away a lot and you have to keep starting over. You've said you like having offensive head coaches because when the OC gets hired away you still more or less keep your system together. We have an offensive head coach now but for some reason we aren't going to run his system here?

Good to see you Knox. It's been a while.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
heversle;n242577 said:
Well, Grayson Garrett was a Junior and a Senior the last 2 years, so I'm sure Mac had more confidence in him to throw the ball than he will in Grier or Harris this year. I'm just wondering how long it will take before we see the "real" offense. Hell, I'd be happy to even see us attempt a fade in the redzone this year. We rarely even did that when Urban was the coach here.
Grayson could have had a big year in the first season but he had a season ending injury a few games in.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gang I can tell you this much. Without playing a game we really don't know much of what to expect. That includes all of us. One thing is for sure, we have a HBC that knows we have issues to correct and it appears as if he's taking that on. In addition a coach that obviously, even with our depth issues, will not be run, run, run, punt offense. So right from the start UF is better off now than we were a year ago. I fully expect to see improvement in our offensive numbers. That does not mean it will show in the W/L column, but it will help us win some of the games that we lost previously. I know folks like Law have issues with Nussy but no doubt JM is in charge here and it's going to be his show. I expect to see UF offensively do these things:

Grier will be our QB.
You'll see some spread mixed with pro style sets. Grier will not have the luxury of holding the ball more than 3 sec.
There will be some dink/dunk quick hitters to protect Grier and help the OL.
If the WR's and TE's give support and help I think we see a decent run game.
If this formula works it will hopefully keep our OL healthy with some depth and help them mature on the job. Confidence = Success.

At any rate with WM gone, UF improved as an offense even before Mac was hired.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I can live with that TN. And, yes, we're already ahead.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox;n242608 said:
We have an offensive head coach now but for some reason we aren't going to run his system here?
I'm saying I don't know what HIS system is. 30 years of John L Smith (that isn't bad BTW, he was a good coach until he lost it)? 2 years of Saban? Mummelike or maybe Mummelight spread from the last two years?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Chomper;n242609 said:
It is really about scoring more points and if we can score an average of 7 pts more per game that will be a big improvement.
If we even TRY on offense, that will be a big improvement.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
TN G8tr;n242619 said:
You'll see some spread mixed with pro style sets. Grier will not have the luxury of holding the ball more than 3 sec.
I'm wondering if the coaches will roll the QB out and or use a moving pocket with more pass/run options to keep teams from blitzing the bejeesus out of us especially on 3rd down. We heard the former staff talk about this with JD but for some reason it just never happened.
The down side of trying to keep young QB's in manageable 3rd down situations is a tendency to call conservative plays on 1st and 2nd down. Lets hope these guys can keep opposing defenses a little more off balance without asking the offensive line to do things they are not capable of too soon....What that is :dunno:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
If the Qbs combine for 3000 yards next year I would be thrilled. Last time that happened was 2009, which seems like a long time ago.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Whatever the hell we run this year will be better than the "**** a$$ High School offense" we ran the last 4 yrs and that's a Fact. If it isn't I will slap an alligator on the top of the head with my Johnson.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Marianna said:
Whatever the hell we run this year will be better than the "**** a$$ High School offense" we ran the last 4 yrs and that's a Fact. If it isn't I will slap an alligator on the top of the head with my Johnson.

I'm not even sure we ran a HS offense the last 4 years. We seemed to start to try a few new things and then always revert back to trying to run the ball between the tackles. Anybody remember when Weiss started the 2011 season with a lot of screens. We did alright and then abandoned it completely by mid season. 2013 we used an inverted wishbone in the first 2 or 3 games and had some success with Showers moving in and out of the backfield then completely abandoned it by the 4th game.....The only thing I can think is someone didn't want an offense that gave the defense anything to think about.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n242655 said:
I'm not even sure we ran a HS offense the last 4 years. We seemed to start to try a few new things and then always revert back to trying to run the ball between the tackles. Anybody remember when Weiss started the 2011 season with a lot of screens. We did alright and then abandoned it completely by mid season. 2013 we used an inverted wishbone in the first 2 or 3 games and had some success with Showers moving in and out of the backfield then completely abandoned it by the 4th game.....The only thing I can think is someone didn't want an offense that gave the defense anything to think about.

The screens quit working once we started playing the tough SEC teams in 2011. Bama and LSU etc. destroyed us when we were trying to use the small RBs that way.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gator Fever;n242658 said:
The screens quit working once we started playing the tough SEC teams in 2011. Bama and LSU etc. destroyed us when we were trying to use the small RBs that way.

Bama and LSU would have destroyed us that year regardless. My point is that we never stayed the course on anything new that Weis, Pease or even Roper brought to the table. We did stay the course on the Wildcat and plugging the ball between the tackles.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Concrete Helmet;n242671 said:
Bama and LSU would have destroyed us that year regardless. My point is that we never stayed the course on anything new that Weis, Pease or even Roper brought to the table. We did stay the course on the Wildcat and plugging the ball between the tackles.
That's because chump was the OC. We ran the same offense under 3 different OC's. The only thing that changed was the formations in which we ran them out of. Smfh...anyway I'm glad that son of a b!tch is gone! If I had to sit through another season of watching that shrimp on the sidelines I'd catch a felony charge for stomping his a$$.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I'm hoping they run a Sumlin type offense this first year due to the inexperience on the o-line. A simplified hurry-up offense that keeps the pressure on the defense and doesn't require a lot of thinking. But do we have the talent at receiver to do that?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
These threads are so predictable. :lol:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just so we're clear, after pretty much being top 10 in every offensive category at csu, mclewain is gonna give freshmeier the keys and tell him to run what he ran at Michigan?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n242738 said:
Just so we're clear, after pretty much being top 10 in every offensive category at csu, mclewain is gonna give freshmeier the keys and tell him to run what he ran at Michigan?

Hard to say. At CSU the first year it was almost all under center and then year 2 went to almost all shotgun when things took off there. I think the OC at CSU under Mac ran mostly shotgun some years previously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.