Will we see a more aggressive offense under McElwain/Nussmeier?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gator Fever;n243732 said:
lol - I guess you have a point there. Well that new back has some size at least and we have a real TE now if he can stay healthy.

It would seem that if we are going to throw a lot of short quick passes then the offense will be lining up in the shotgun more often than not come fall practice. Did Mac ever move his QB around at CS? Both of our guys have good movement. I'm wondering if we will see them throwing while on the move. The only problem with that is that it can make it hard to read both sides of the field....

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n243765 said:
It would seem that if we are going to throw a lot of short quick passes then the offense will be lining up in the shotgun more often than not come fall practice. Did Mac ever move his QB around at CS? Both of our guys have good movement. I'm wondering if we will see them throwing while on the move. The only problem with that is that it can make it hard to read both sides of the field....

I don't remember but he was basically running the QB under center most of the time at CSU the first year and then went to basically pure shotgun in the 2nd and 3rd year when the offense took off. Some say that was the plan all along but was it his plan or that OC he had at CSU which came from a team that used a lot of shotgun for some years I think. Looking at the spring game and practice I doubt we use a bunch of shotgun this season.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Hopefully they use plenty of play action then because I'm not sure our line will be able to slow down a decent pass rush. I guess we will see. Maybe that's one reason Mac is recruiting bigger backs. He plans on keeping a guy in to pass block. It also make me wonder if we will see any 2 back sets.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014

You can stop the opponent all you want to Will, but you have to put points on the board to win.

Out Bob Woodruffs Bob Woodruff.

Attachments

• conv_1378.jpg
    conv_1378.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 27
  • conv_3620.jpg
    conv_3620.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 25

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n243774 said:
Hopefully they use plenty of play action then because I'm not sure our line will be able to slow down a decent pass rush. I guess we will see. Maybe that's one reason Mac is recruiting bigger backs. He plans on keeping a guy in to pass block. It also make me wonder if we will see any 2 back sets.

Well in 2011 Mac just kept running Richardson and Lacy over and over again to try and crush defenses and he is bringing that 230 lb Juco in.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Okeechobee Joe;n243776 said:

You can stop the opponent all you want to Will, but you have to put points on the board to win.

In fairness Driskel had a huge part in that Missouri mess. But that is on Muschamp also.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n243722 said:
Sounds like you want them to run the CW offense?

Nusschamp finished 115th in total offense last year at Meatchicken. Let that sink in a little bit. 10 places lower than we did. I just hope we don't see the return of the Nusschamp offense.

At this point, Double Cheeseburger and Dazztard look like geniuses for managing to finish in the top 100.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n243806 said:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/colorado-state/ He's pretty much 50/50 in all 3 years. As far as having big backs, in his 2nd year that bibbs kid was huge and ran for 1700 yards and they still managed to throw for 3600. I think you're reading way too much into him recruiting big backs.

That was CSU. As OC at Bama in 2011 he just crushed defenses with that line and those backs but they had the people to do that.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Guys I'm telling you we'll see some improvement. Mac is definitely addressing it. He was left a :kiffin: bag of an offensive problem by Musstank. We'll improve the only part is by how much. You already from the start are in better shape when WM left. Wishful thinking perhaps, but just can't see a guy like Mac continue to let this be a problem.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I have high hopes for this team and I think we will go with SOS's gameplan of passing to set up the run. I see a lot of 3 step drops with quick slants, quick outs, and through a screen every now and then. Then once we get the running game going he will start hitting them with the deep ball. I think this approach is what you have to do with the QBs and OL that we have.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n243815 said:
That was CSU. As OC at Bama in 2011 he just crushed defenses with that line and those backs but they had the people to do that.
I'm aware of what he did at bama. He wasn't the headcoach at bama .

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
Okeechobee Joe;n243776 said:

So embarrassing.
:headslap:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gator Fever;n243815 said:

Didn't Mac and Nuss both use the pistol a good percentage of the time when they had the redheaded noodle arm guy as well as with McCarron? I remember them running out of that formation as well as using it to set up the screen game......

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n244232 said:
Didn't Mac and Nuss both use the pistol a good percentage of the time when they had the redheaded noodle arm guy as well as with McCarron? I remember them running out of that formation as well as using it to set up the screen game......
Mac killed us with the screen in the '09 SECCG. We'll see alot of Shotgun and Pistol this fall.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
So now that Deondre Johnson is available, McElwain could bring him in and instantly make our offense more aggressive. ;)

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n244243 said:
So now that Deondre Johnson is available, McElwain could bring him in and instantly make our offense more aggressive. ;)

I was pissed as I was reading this until I hit the end. Then I started laughing...

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n243963 said:
I'm aware of what he did at bama. He wasn't the headcoach at bama .

Yep he was the OC and Nuss is our OC now and Nuss being the actual OC now has me a little nervous because that is 100% his style to play conservative type ball where the run game has to be humming along good for the passing game to work.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n244236 said:
Mac killed us with the screen in the '09 SECCG. We'll see alot of Shotgun and Pistol this fall.

He did use a ton of shotgun in the Spring game unlike most of the practice video leading up to it which was mostly under center stuff. Not sure if that was just to get practice mostly on that or if unlike CSU the first year we will see a lot of shotgun right off the bat this season. Hopefully its the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.