Will we see a more aggressive offense under McElwain/Nussmeier?

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Gator Fever;n244365 said:
Yep he was the OC and Nuss is our OC now and Nuss being the actual OC now has me a little nervous because that is 100% his style to play conservative type ball where the run game has to be humming along good for the passing game to work.
If the Muschamp era taught us anything ... and perhaps it didn't ... it's that the OC primarily executes the offense that the HC wants.

If the HC wants the OC's offense, which sometimes happens if the HC is primarily a defensive guy, then the OC may have have a relatively free hand. But I can't think of a case where that's happened when the HC also comes from an offensive background. The HC will pick an OC who he believes is compatible and capable of running the offense the HC wants. Certainly if the working relationship is good the OC will have much input, but it will still fundamentally be the HC's offensive scheme and strategy.

According to this reasoning, Nuss is here precisely because McElwain believes Nuss will effectively run McElwain's offense.

I do believe that McElwain is sharper than the previous regime in recognizing what the team's physical talents and skills, and getting as close to "his offense" this year as possible. He won't try three plays and then revert to "run up the middle" on every play for the rest of the game because they've run out of ideas. We may not see the full-glory of McElwain's offense this year, but we should see much of it.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yankeetown;n244387 said:
If the Muschamp era taught us anything ... and perhaps it didn't ... it's that the OC primarily executes the offense that the HC wants.

If the HC wants the OC's offense, which sometimes happens if the HC is primarily a defensive guy, then the OC may have have a relatively free hand. But I can't think of a case where that's happened when the HC also comes from an offensive background. The HC will pick an OC who he believes is compatible and capable of running the offense the HC wants. Certainly if the working relationship is good the OC will have much input, but it will still fundamentally be the HC's offensive scheme and strategy.

According to this reasoning, Nuss is here precisely because McElwain believes Nuss will effectively run McElwain's offense.

I do believe that McElwain is sharper than the previous regime in recognizing what the team's physical talents and skills, and getting as close to "his offense" this year as possible. He won't try three plays and then revert to "run up the middle" on every play for the rest of the game because they've run out of ideas. We may not see the full-glory of McElwain's offense this year, but we should see much of it.

Well one thing we did last year that we didn't do much the 2 years prior under Muschamp was to chuck it deep but it didn't help too much in our SEC games.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
Yankeetown;n244387 said:

I know a lot of you truly believe the bolded above but there has not been, and still isn't, any conclusive evidence or a quote from a coach or player that confirms this theory.

We all want to believe that the kids we've got on the team are awesome and better than the Name Your Opponents University but it is highly possible that all three OCs under Will Muschamp actually tried to run THEIR offense but the players either were of the wrong type or just didn't pick it up or had "me" problems or one certain group was being hampered by another group of players like the WRs suffering from the QB or the RB's suffering because of the O-line.

Just my .02

Flame on.

:chomp:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jand3k;n244505 said:
I know a lot of you truly believe the bolded above but there has not been, and still isn't, any conclusive evidence or a quote from a coach or player that confirms this theory.

We all want to believe that the kids we've got on the team are awesome and better than the Name Your Opponents University but it is highly possible that all three OCs under Will Muschamp actually tried to run THEIR offense but the players either were of the wrong type or just didn't pick it up or had "me" problems or one certain group was being hampered by another group of players like the WRs suffering from the QB or the RB's suffering because of the O-line.

Just my .02

Flame on.

Our offense averaged about 27 pass attempts per game, but if you don't include the 40+ attempts against Eastern Michigan or UK, then it is about 23 attempts per game. The year before at Duke Roper's offense averaged 34 pass attempts per game. Basically if you looked at a normal UF game last year, Roper's offense averaged about 10 fewer pass attempts than when he was at Duke a year before. UF averaged about 43 rush attempts per game, while Roper's offense at Duke averaged about 39.

So Roper goes to having a 39/ 34 rush/pass comparison at Duke and then the next year under Muschamp he has a 43/27 rush/pass comparison. I think the numbers say that Muschamp most certainly had a major influence on the offense.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jand3k;n244505 said:
Still bobbing on that dawg knob, huh?

I'll go one further, not only did NONE of the OCs run an offense at UF that looked anything like the offenses they had previously run, but the same thing happened at Awbrun and Texass. By Chimp's second year at both, he was in the ear of the previously successful HCs (wildly successful offensively when it comes to Tuberville's offense) and convinced THEM to play Dawgsh@t ball too ...and got those Championship coaches fired.

By now I think you are the last person on the planet clinging to this "the offense wasnt Chimp's fault" theory. It's baffling. You have one thick head. I suppose you think he had nothing to due with failing to put any effort into offensive recruiting also? Don't answer that.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
That's a pretty good summary. I wonder how much QB play influenced the willingness to pass though. We've kind of had limited options there for the last few years.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You mean how much our QB play was influenced by our HC's lack of interest in offense, rewarding a QB for losing yardage so long as the clock kept running, etc? Probably a lot.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Jand3k;n244505 said:

Just my .02

Flame on.

Not saying he really dictated things entirely but hell near halftime in that Bama game you could see him on the headset saying we need to run the ball playing it conservative.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Muschamp was obviously a hotheaded egomaniac that thought he was God once he got to be the head coach at Florida. It was either his way or no way. I doubt that he would ever accept any ideas that exist outside of his fundamental philosophy. I can't see any other reason why an OC would go from successful at a lesser program to shtt at a top program. The evidence is in the actions.

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Saw an interesting graphic on Twitter yesterday. Apparently Mac's offense at CSU last year had the 3rd most plays of 30+ yards in the country.

CKR_vhaUcAEsMyT.png

Also interesting, Florida was 64th last year, tied with the likes of Georgia State, New Mexico State and Northern Illinois.

Also interesting...Michigan was 126th last year. Only ahead of Wake Forest.

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Of course, in the department of how to lie with statistics...

Colorado State and Florida tied for 5th in the nation in plays over 70 yards last year. 5th out of 128!! Maybe our offense wasn't so bad after all.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
BostonGator84;n249119 said:
Of course, in the department of how to lie with statistics...

Colorado State and Florida tied for 5th in the nation in plays over 70 yards last year. 5th out of 128!! Maybe our offense wasn't so bad after all.

How many 70 yard plus plays did we have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator