Your Top 3 Realistic Picks to Replace Butters

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A lot of names are being tossed around in the chat box and various threads in a disjointed fashion. List your top 3 guys and explain your reasoning if you care to.

1. Urban Meyer.....he has learned a lot on our dime and afterwards. The Meyer family loves Gainesville and still owns a place on Santa Fe Lake. Don't just blow this possibility off, it can happen if the Bulls demand it.

2. Mark Richt....a fine gentleman and highly experienced HBC with deep coaching and recruiting ties in the Southeast. 1000 times better than the shiit show we have had with the last 2 clowns.

3. Dana Holgorsen....my "dark horse" choice. He has cleaned up his act and appears to no longer be drinking. Just a tiny bit on the dirty side enough to win big. Knows how to run an offense and program and recruit this part of the country.

I am tired of unknowns being handed the keys to a top 5 program like ours used to be and still should be. YMMV.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
A lot of names are being tossed around in the chat box and various threads in a disjointed fashion. List your top 3 guys and explain your reasoning if you care to.

1. Urban Meyer.....he has learned a lot on our dime and afterwards. The Meyer family loves Gainesville and still owns a place on Santa Fe Lake. Don't just blow this possibility off, it can happen if the Bulls demand it.

2. Mark Richt....a fine gentleman and highly experienced HBC with deep coaching and recruiting ties in the Southeast. 1000 times better than the shiit show we have had with the last 2 clowns.

3. Dana Holgorsen....my "dark horse" choice. He has cleaned up his act and appears to no longer be drinking. Just a tiny bit on the dirty side enough to win big. Knows how to run an offense and program and recruit this part of the country.

I am tired of unknowns being handed the keys to a top 5 program like ours used to be and still should be. YMMV.

You need to change the thread title to "UN-realistic"...unless this was a joke or something.

Realistic hires are all coaches at no-name P5 programs or G5 programs.

For example, Duke.....or Utah. (not their current coaches, but those type programs).

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I like you Goon - But I don't think any of those are realistic. If you're looking for a retread that's realistic -

I think Spurrier would INTERIM until we found someone.

I think Stoops would seriously consider it as long as he could hire an A+ staff that could take away an recruiting work from him. There would have to be basically no money roadblocks.

And I think Chip Kelly would CONSIDER it - But we'd have to pay him 8M+ out of the gate. Plus he hated recruiting - So see Stoops above...

Otherwise - Babers, Brohm, Frost, etc... And by the way - Those are some pretty good coaches. Mac's hire was WAAAAAY out of left field.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And I'm not in any way saying that Spurrier, Stoops, or Kelly are likely in any way whatsoever.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I remember LOOOOOOOTS of people who thought that was a great hire.

I think that more people had hope and werent really sure. Count me in. I failed to do the research. I kind of bought into the guru comments and the Jim Walsh thing about how he can return us to prominence. I hoped since the guy was a 2 time NC OC at bama that he may have had the necessary skills. There isnt anything wrong with hoping and wanting your coach to work out. Finding out your wrong really sucks and knowing your beloved program is now that much further set back is extremely bothersome. Somebody better figure this crap out and get us the right people and quick.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I like you Goon - But I don't think any of those are realistic. If you're looking for a retread that's realistic -

I think Spurrier would INTERIM until we found someone.

I think Stoops would seriously consider it as long as he could hire an A+ staff that could take away an recruiting work from him. There would have to be basically no money roadblocks.

And I think Chip Kelly would CONSIDER it - But we'd have to pay him 8M+ out of the gate. Plus he hated recruiting - So see Stoops above...

Otherwise - Babers, Brohm, Frost, etc... And by the way - Those are some pretty good coaches. Mac's hire was WAAAAAY out of left field.

We used to hire our head coaches away from Tennessee and Clemson and Utah after they had won multiple conference championships or gone undefeated. No reason we can't still do it. It takes skillful backroom negotiating tactics, not flying helter skelter around the country in private jets being tracked by flight aware.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think that more people had hope and werent really sure. Count me in. I failed to do the research. I kind of bought into the guru comments and the Jim Walsh thing about how he can return us to prominence. I hoped since the guy was a 2 time NC OC at bama that he may have had the necessary skills. There isnt anything wrong with hoping and wanting your coach to work out. Finding out your wrong really sucks and knowing your beloved program is now that much further set back is extremely bothersome. Somebody better figure this crap out and get us the right people and quick.
I think it's a lot different when you build a team around having SFL kids versus cherry picking a couple. It's a different world down there and I just don't think that Mac can relate to them in a meaningful way. Sure they probably like him, but it's evident they don't respect him. Doesn't mean he wouldn't necessarily have some success elsewhere, but he needs to cut the Nuss cord whatever he does.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I could get behind dana holgorson. Top 25 offense and defense. He's finally incorporated a power running game in his system. Not sure how good he recruits?

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hire Swamp Donkey. He seems to have ALL the answers on everything and how to run an athletic department. We would NEVER lose a game under Swonky...

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Not a very realistic list.
Additionally I have no desire to roll the dice on names like Brohm or shutter, Frost.
Give me a P5 HC with 10+ win seasons.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Additionally I have no desire to roll the dice on names like Brohm or shutter, Frost.

Not relating to you Threat.

Some people shoot for a 100 and live with an A-minus. Some people shoot for a 75 and wind up with an F.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

The thread title says "realistic". Who in the P5 are you suggesting? P5 w/ 10+ win seasons don't grow on trees. You're talking about a handful: Saban, Jimbo, Harbaugh, Meyer, Dabo, Richt, Ferentz, Franklin, Fuentes (not yet actually), Chyrst, Gundy....and maybe a few others. NONE of those coaches are leaving their current job for ours. NONE.

Realistic we look at a P5 coach at a no-name school (like Purdue) or a G5 school (like UCF).

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

The thread title is "realistic coach". Name some of your 10+ win P5 coaches that would both want to come and that we could realistically afford based on our current coaching blunder payouts.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Richt might be intrigued cause he'd get a chance to stick it to Georgia every year. I just can't see us going after him or see him accepting our offer. I think he stays at Miami until he retires. I would go after Stoops and let's Spurrier do the talking, he talked Bob out of taking the job after he retired, maybe he could talk him into taking it this time. I think I'd be skeptical going after a pro coordinator or coach, unless they have successful college recruiting experience. Some other names that aren't likely are Chris Peterson of Washington, he's a heck of a coach. Doubt he'd come, just seems like a guy that wants to stay out west, and not sure how he'd recruit down here, but no doubt he have us playing a lot better. I know this guy is a skumbag and will not be a popular choice among many fans, and I doubt we'd seriously consider going after him, but I think Petrino would be awesome down here. If he can go to Louisville and Arkansas and have 11 win seasons, then he's definitely capable of winning a National Championship here. He was our 2nd choice if Urban had turned down the job, but it was before he had that embarrassing incident at Arkansas. I wonder if Arky wished they'd just kept him now and just suspended him a few games for his antics. Of these guys I mentioned, I think Stoops would be the best chance of us landing.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The thread title is "realistic coach". Name some of your 10+ win P5 coaches that would both want to come and that we could realistically afford based on our current coaching blunder payouts.

So do you want to risk another coaching blunder payout?
Or do you want somebody proven?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Here is a list of 3 in no order:

David Shaw, Stanford, winning% 78.2%, bowl record 4-2, age 45, salary $4 million
Chris Petersen, U of Washington, winning% 82.8%, bowl record 6-4 age 53 salary $4.25 million
Jeff Brohm Purdue, winning% 73.3%, bowl record 2-0 age 46 salary $3.5 million

The first two have 10 win P5 seasons.

source for most of the data:

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/WinningestActiveCoachesIA.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator