Your Top 3 Realistic Picks to Replace Butters

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So do you want to risk another coaching blunder payout?
Or do you want somebody proven?

You have from the jump dismissed Frost despite the facts. I don't for a second think that he would be a bust.

I'll ask the same question again, who you got?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The thread title says "realistic". Who in the P5 are you suggesting? P5 w/ 10+ win seasons don't grow on trees. You're talking about a handful: Saban, Jimbo, Harbaugh, Meyer, Dabo, Richt, Ferentz, Franklin, Fuentes (not yet actually), Chyrst, Gundy....and maybe a few others. NONE of those coaches are leaving their current job for ours. NONE.

Realistic we look at a P5 coach at a no-name school (like Purdue) or a G5 school (like UCF).

You don't know if you don't ask.

Realistically I think we have to wait a year or two. For one it gets the buyout down. For another it gives a little more time to see if guys like Brohm or even Frost are the real deal. Also there is a bit of the Saban factor to contend with - get him closer to retirement.

I think Gundy would make the move. He's the red headed step child in his state and his conference. If we truly want a top coach then we are going to have to pay $6M plus which would be attractive to him. And he's been there a long time and has done all he can do.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Here is a list of 3 in no order:

David Shaw, Stanford, winning% 78.2%, bowl record 4-2, age 45, salary $4 million
Chris Petersen, U of Washington, winning% 82.8%, bowl record 6-4 age 53 salary $4.25 million
Jeff Brohm Purdue, winning% 73.3%, bowl record 2-0 age 46 salary $3.5 million

The first two have 10 win P5 seasons.

source for most of the data:

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/WinningestActiveCoachesIA.htm

2 of those coaches would never consider coming to Florida. And I find it hilarious that Brohm's name keeps coming up. Not because I don't think he's a good coach and would be a good hire, but because the very people who are touting him would never have done so a year ago when he "wasn't a P5, 10+ win coach". :lol2:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
My God there are probably 50 coaches like Frost. The only reason we talk about him is because he's in the state. I'm not interested in trying to guess who's going to be a great coach one day. I don't have the heart for failure again. We owe it to ourselves to go after someone who has proven his metal in the P5.

I'd put feelers out to just about everybody. Chip Kelly, Spurrier/Stoops or Stoops/Spurrier depending on how you look at it. Or just Stoops. I have no interest in Fisher or Richt. Saban is too old even if that was a possibility. Hell I'd talk to Meyer's people. I have doubts about Harbaugh. I got shouted down when I suggested Dabo over Chump and Mac but that ship has prolly sailed. I'd still approach him. I have interest in Franklin only because he won at Vandy.

Not sure how I feel about Fuentes, Petrino, Ferentz.

Don't know anything about Babers.

It's too early for Brohm. He could be the real deal or not.

Leach actually doesn't have that great of a record does he? Though he'd be a lot of fun.

I'd have to be sold on Holgorson. One 10 win season doesn't speak to me.

Peterson and Shaw are west coast guys. I'd rather have someone who knows southern football - "it just means more".

Honestly Gundy keeps moving to the top of my list once you get past Kelly/Stoops/Spurrier/Dabo.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
For program building for the long haul:

Fuentes and Frost. Only. If you aren't impressed, you aren't paying attention. The two best young coaches in the game

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Fuentes and Frost. Only. If you aren't impressed, you aren't paying attention. The two best young coaches in the game

Those guys will look just like the other ten option offenses in the SEC.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

My first crush as a kid and criminally underrated. But we have to stay focused here. This is a coaching list.

1200px-Daisy_Fuentes_2013_Alma_Awards.jpg

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Both are nice, but Frost is a legacy at Nebraska and will be there if not next season the following one. Fuentes would be dumb to leave a spot where he can make similar or equal money and have 100x the job security. They let Beemer hang around forever, they will do the same for him.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
2 of those coaches would never consider coming to Florida. And I find it hilarious that Brohm's name keeps coming up. Not because I don't think he's a good coach and would be a good hire, but because the very people who are touting him would never have done so a year ago when he "wasn't a P5, 10+ win coach". :lol2:

Well Petersen has been complaining about the PAC12 recently, but you might be right. Shaw too is a west coast guy and might not be interested, but you don't know until you ask seriously.

BTW, Brohm is not a 10+ win P5 coaches. He is the one who is not. I think Brohm keeps coming up because he is an ex-QB that people really believe will be offensive minded. McElwain whatever you think of him was basically a fraud selling the fan base he would be offensive minded. So most of us are trying not to be fooled again in that dimension.

Last edited:

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
BTW, Brohm is not a 10+ win P5 coaches. He is the one who is not. I think Brohm keeps coming up because he is an ex-QB that people really believe will be offensive minded. McElwain whatever you think of him was basically fraud selling the fan base he would be offensive minded. So most of us are trying not to be fooled again in that dimension.

I agree, but the same people who are touting Brohm are dismissing Frost (another ex-QB who is offensive minded) because he hasn't coached at a bigger school or doesn't run an "Alabama type" (bleeeech) offense.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I agree, but the same people who are touting Brohm are dismissing Frost (another ex-QB who is offensive minded) because he hasn't coached at a bigger school or doesn't run an "Alabama type" (bleeeech) offense.

I dismiss Frost because he is like McElwain a guy who does not have UF on his buyout exemption list. I am still unhappy UF was willing to consider someone with a buyout exemption list and did not put UF on that list.

Related to this is that Frost is on a path to UNL. UF does not want to be in the position of a stepping stone to anything but maybe the NFL.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I dismiss Frost because he is like McElwain a guy who does not have UF on his buyout exemption list. I am still unhappy UF was willing to consider someone with a buyout exemption list and did not put UF on that list.

Related to this is that Frost is on a path to UNL. UF does not want to be in the position of a stepping stone to anything but maybe the NFL.
What??? Unless UF is on someone's buyout exemption list you'll dismiss them? :lol:

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Call me crazy but I like this guy, Tim Lester. He's under the radar right now but will probably be heading for bigger things not too long from now. He was a math teacher when he started his coaching career so obviously is reasonably intelligent and he's young and energetic. And best of all, he isn't a total buffoon like 3 of our 4 last hires. And he only makes 800,000 so even though Swamp Donk doesn't like shopping from the bargain bin, money is a factor. I really like the way he presents himself.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
What??? Unless UF is on someone's buyout exemption list you'll dismiss them? :lol:

Well if you made a buyout list and you did not think enough of the UF job to include UF, you better be a real slam dunk hire in my view. Now if you were from the west coast and your list was SoCal, UCLA, maybe UND and U of Wash, I guess I would understand that.

When you start including other SEC schools and don't have UF on your list, then you might well be the kind of guys that thinks limping into the SEC championship game and getting blown out is good enough. It is certainly a sign of how much stature you think of UF and the UF job have. Basically my view is that if you do not understand that UF is the best job in the SEC with maybe aTm as a close second, then you are not really smart or savvy enough for the UF job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator