#1 Michigan vs #2 Washington: The Old Penix Is Still Going To Town

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
On a serious note it was kinda nice to see power football and great defense still wins 9X out of 10....Unbelievable defense by Michigan in both playoff games. It was hard to believe that Harbaugh didn't sh!t the bed and score less than 10-14 points against a quality OOC opponent. They almost looked like an SEC team over their last 2-3 games.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
On a serious note it was kinda nice to see power football and great defense still wins 9X out of 10....Unbelievable defense by Michigan in both playoff games. It was hard to believe that Harbaugh didn't sh!t the bed and score less than 10-14 points against a quality OOC opponent. They almost looked like an SEC team over their last 2-3 games.

Easy to play power football and great defense when the refs don't call obvious holding.

Even Tebow sounded off on the issue last night after a 30+ yard pass by Washington was eliminated for a dubious hold when Michigan has been getting away with far worse all evening.

I understand no officiating crew will be perfect, but there were multiple blown calls when the game was still close that makes me question their competency. Which, given they were an ACC crew, was a low bar to begin with.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
For Michigan, there was something called “tackling” going on in that game. Apparently this “tackle” stuff is kind of important.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Michigan D was big, strong, fast, disciplined. Well-coached unit that kept the pressure on. Not a fan of them or Harbaugh particularly, but that was good defensive football and fun to watch. Dreaming as I type that we will some day get back on a similar track.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
We can crack on booger eater all we want, but that MFer had Meatchicken ready to play. I had UM winning this game, but UW's offense looked good against Texas and this was a much closer game until late second half. UW just had some bad breaks.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
As much as I dislike Michigan I've got to say "Hail to the Victors" for a job well done which today actually means "Hail to the Victors" and not "Hell to the Victors" in the Southern dialect.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We can crack on booger eater all we want, but that MFer had Meatchicken ready to play. I had UM winning this game, but UW's offense looked good against Texas and this was a much closer game until late second half. UW just had some bad breaks.

I’ve never had an issue with them, so that maybe adds to my view. But what I liked about this Wolverines team is it’s the polar opposite of what college football has become. Didn’t hear a ton about portal pickups. They weren’t a flashy, NIL driven team with Top-3 classes. They just built and developed a great team over time with great coaching. And the kids seemed to be playing for Michigan with a ton of pride. If we’re honest, that’s the traditional college football team that so many of us have hoped would return at some point. Good for them.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I’ve never had an issue with them, so that maybe adds to my view. But what I liked about this Wolverines team is it’s the polar opposite of what college football has become. Didn’t hear a ton about portal pickups. They weren’t a flashy, NIL driven team with Top-3 classes. They just built and developed a great team over time with great coaching. And the kids seemed to be playing for Michigan with a ton of pride. If we’re honest, that’s the traditional college football team that so many of us have hoped would return at some point. Good for them.
It's weird how time flies in recruiting. Sometimes I lose track of when a player was in college. Hard to believe Tunsil has been in the NFL 8? seasons. So sometimes hard to reference and remember classes/players... I believe about four classes back post signing day, I read a recap "winners/losers" that said Michigan failed, having signed only one offensive skill player in top 300. Probably pre Covid but Harbaugh was definitely the HC at the time and I believe at least several years after he took the job in 2015. I guess they got that worked out.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I would take a bugger eater if it meant we looked that good eight games a season. We don't know if the current guy can pull it together and make it to a bowl, ever.

UW was just off by a few plays or the game might have come down to the wire. Too bad for Penix, he just missed a few key throws.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
For Michigan, there was something called “tackling” going on in that game. Apparently this “tackle” stuff is kind of important.
Michigan and UGA were by far the 2 best tackling teams I've seen all year. In the Bama game I recall 3-4 times where Michigan DB's made "stopped in the tracks" tackles on 3rd down when Bama tried to go underneath to offset their pass rush...to me that was the difference in that game even though it came down to the last play....them getting off the field gave their offense enough chances to hang in there and finally win.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Michigan D was big, strong, fast, disciplined. Well-coached unit that kept the pressure on. Not a fan of them or Harbaugh particularly, but that was good defensive football and fun to watch. Dreaming as I type that we will some day get back on a similar track.
It almost reminded me of our 2008 defense in the NCG against OU who had ungodly numbers on offense that year....they weren't used to our physicality or resolve...I kind of sensed the same thing last night.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You seem to know a lot about Michigan's "D".... is there another part of your life you don't like to talk about.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You seem to know a lot about Michigan's "D".... is there another part of your life you don't like to talk about.
I “may” have hooked up with a chick from Michigan back in my formative years. Come to think of it, she was wearing a flannel shirt. Shti…sue me :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator