1010XL: absolutely embarrassing performance by the coaching staff

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm just so baffled. Billy had a winning program at ULL. Yes I know it's the sun belt. But he still gets credit from me for at least being better than others in his conference.
I still think he has potential and could adjust better than any of his last 3 successors. But the rookie mistakes Thursday are inexcusable.

I'm still going to hold on to my last bit of hope that he could, maybe, possibly, potentially, in a perfect world, by some stroke of luck, with a little help from his friends, with the eye of the tiger, under a silver moon; get it together.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer was the biggest name in 2005. Muschamp was HCIW at Texas. Besides, it’s not like we’re unwilling to pay. Dan Mullen was making more than Kirby Smart in 2021.

Meyer was relatively untested and Muschamp had only an assistant's role and head-coach-in-waiting to his name. Brian Kelly was on a different level. We just never chase elephants like that, never. In many ways, he just didn't seem like a good fit. Perhaps I was wrong in my thinking. He's flourishing in Baton Rouge.

As to your comment about Stricklin, he's never seemed at ease making football decisions. Doesn't have the proper feel. His background, or lack thereof, speaks to it. He simply pointed his browser to the highest Google-rated how-to website and began running through the checklist. Young, Sunbelt, solid recruiter, SEC experience, alleged up-and-comer.

Check, check, check. Safe and relatively inexpensive. Check.

Who knows? Maybe we're all premature in jumping his shyt. Lots of unfamiliar moving parts. But I doubt it.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I'm just so baffled. Billy had a winning program at ULL. Yes I know it's the sun belt. But he still gets credit from me for at least being better than others in his conference.
I still think he has potential and could adjust better than any of his last 3 successors. But the rookie mistakes Thursday are inexcusable.

I'm still going to hold on to my last bit of hope that he could, maybe, possibly, potentially, in a perfect world, by some stroke of luck, with a little help from his friends, with the eye of the tiger, under a silver moon; get it together.
Perhaps Sling Blade had superior talent at his previous stop so his lack of ability during games was not as obvious. Who knows, but yes he gets the credit, deservedly so. But I have been around a long time and been involved in sports on all levels, and some things can be learned, some can't. I think that the process that Sling Blade has tried to set up off the field that does not involve playing the game can be learned thru watching, observing, trial and error etc. What I do know is that game management, feel for the flow, understanding situations in the heat of battle are nothing more than inate qualities. You have them or you do not, and when you are at best, equal in talent with almost all of your foes, those weaknesses are magnified times 10. These are in the heat of the moment situations and very few thrive in those situations, whether it be sports, business etc. You do not have time to be thorough and thoughtful like you do with the off field processes, which is why you see so very few who are actually good in all these facets.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
People act like his O was lighting it up at the previous stop. He was winning most games 24-21. Not like we didn't know what we were getting.

abefroman

Sausage King
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2019
giphy.gif
Colorado is a better coached team than UF

BN requires a similar philosophy, play his best players

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Special Teams Coach
On field:
Alabama - STC/Outside Linebackers
Georgia -Dedicated STC
LSU - STC/Outside Linebackers
Tennessee - STC/Outside Linebackers
Kentucky - STC/RB
Auburn - STC/OLB
SC - Ass Head Coach STC (highest rated in college football)
Vandy - STC/TEs
(I'm too lazy to go through all the SEC teams)

Off-field
Florida - Gamechanger ANALYST

Napier needs to assign one of his position coaches as STC too. Keep the analyst for whatever the fuch he does. That puts someone on the field to talk to the special teams units before each play. One on ones with the punter, kicker, returners, blockers. Make sense? All the other teams think so. A couple even have Dedicated ST coaches.

Last edited:

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I hate to correct you but Billy evaluated himself during the off-season and a gave himself an A++
Funny thing is that his process worked at the lower level, but his offense didn't work previously at this level (this is why he was fired as OC at rising Clemson).

If there was real introspection, he would see that he needs a better offensive system with someone else leading it. But, alas, there is not sufficient introspection in the mind of a genius.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I get a kick out of people questioning why we didn't hire Kelly. They obviously don't know Florida's history or that Stricklin whiffed on the other big-name Kelly in 2017. There was zero chance of it happening.
If he would have kept his mouth shut, whiffing on kelly wouldn't have been such a big deal. Instead he flew back to a welcoming party without a coach lol. Then hired Dan freaking Mullen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator