1st Trip to William Brice

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
the weather was really nice for the night game in 07 that i attended. Youll want to bring a warm top and something to keep your hands warm though if you are up high enough that you can feel the wind. That wind whips through there and makes it quite cold after the sun has set. My buddy and I were in t shirts the first qtr. By the 3rd we were bundled up and shivering lol.

The '95 game there was one of the coldest football experiences of my life, including Giant Stadium when we played Rutgers. The wind does get crazy cold. On a positive note, whenever we've had night games there('95, '01, '07) we've blown their doors off. Sure, a slight bit of credit probably goes to the 3(should've been 4) Heisman winners at QB that played and/or coached in those games, but dammit, I'm going with the late kickoff time as the core reason.

Also, the night of the 2007 game was the night my wife and I went on our first official date. We watched a little bit of the game at a bar called Ta-boo on Palm Beach walking from dinner. And we're going to be in attendance in Columbia this year. So again, expect a blowout.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Lived in greater Columbia from '82 thru '87. Daughter was born in West Columbia. Attended USC for a while and thought the campus nice enough. Returned to old homestead this year on way home from Pennsylvania. Had tough time finding it because of over overwhelming development/growth. Stadium is middle of state fairgrounds which are empty most of the year, hence "middle of nowhere." Don't know how much it's changed since 87. Was nice enough stadium then.

That is all.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was there for the morning wood start . Think he competed four passes that night . That was also the game chump called a fake punt pass from trey to Leon Orr. A backup defensive lineman. And it wasn’t just a shovel pass it was at least 10 to 15 downfield as I recall . Neteng is right that it’s a hell hole and the sandstorm thing is dumb .

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Lived in greater Columbia from '82 thru '87. Daughter was born in West Columbia. Attended USC for a while and thought the campus nice enough. Returned to old homestead this year on way home from Pennsylvania. Had tough time finding it because of over overwhelming development/growth. Stadium is middle of state fairgrounds which are empty most of the year, hence "middle of nowhere." Don't know how much it's changed since 87. Was nice enough stadium then.

Probably very little. Most things haven’t changed much since 1987.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Kids going?

68a134ae-ae39-4341-9ec1-45cab763b2ed_text.gif

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
It is next door to the State Fairgrounds, in other words, an asphalt hell even for tailgating. You are much better off staying in Charleston or Greenville. Greenville is rapidly turning into a great city, alot to do, and all kinds of activities. I've been to every UF-SC game there since 1993, and frankly, zero has really changed around the stadium. SC's baseball setup is top notch, along with their hoops arena, but both are right practically on campus, W-B is not.

My lawyer buddy went into private real estate practice about six years ago so no more lavish tailgates to bum off of. He was an assistant solicitor for years, and his fellow prosecutors state-wide would gather for some real big-time tailgating before and after, nothing like having bloody marys and omelets at 9 am for a noon kick, or steak and shrimp post-game.

I remember the 2005 tailgate well, first, it was Spurrier vs. Urban for the first time. Second, always saw some politicos at the tailgates, Strom Thurmond Jr. was a big wig prosecutor then, was always there every time I went, well in 2005, their was this hot 30-something new female state Rep making the rounds, and shaking hands and introducing herself to every single person there (around 200 I would guess), including yours truly. Well built with legs that wouldn't quit, but super sharp and really a go-getter. Name of Nikki Haley.

Yes, I remember the 95 game well, night game big time blowout, but basically followed the cold front down I-26 from up here, was pushing 80 up here at lunchtime, mid 30's when I got home. I remember 2001 as well, big game, GameDay in town, we were #3 they were #15, they did the blackout, record crowd, nice atmosphere, we fumbled a punt deep on our end early, they converted for a 7-0 lead, place went nuts, people talking **** en masse to me, I just stood there smirking. We led 27-10 at half, I waved bye bye to them up 40-10 at end of 3rd, 54-17 final. Spurrier's last SEC win at UF it turned out to be thanks to those Muslim cocksuckers on 9/11.

SC fans are normally docile, anytime I get lip, if in the stadium, I point blank ask them "then why the **** do you have the name of the GOAT from U of F plastered in your stadium? If they continue, I remind them, "why is the name of the GOAT and his WIFE from U of F on your IFP? Then it stops.

But again, nothing about Columbia is special, you are better off in Greenville, Charleston, even horse country over around Aiken near Augusta, GA instead of in the Columbia metro.

Gator-Don

The Master of Sparks and Fire
Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2016
If you are looking to party (it's been a while) there is/was an area called 5 points where you can find some fun and food.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
If you are looking to party (it's been a while) there is/was an area called 5 points where you can find some fun and food.
So, Columbia as a whole sucks. Not much to do. The USC campus is nice and pretty with a typical area where there are bars. That area is called 5 points. To be honest, it really isn't that great either when you compare it to other college bar strips. Heck, even the strip bars in Columbia aren't that great.

BTW, I got kicked by Joey Ramone at a place called Rockafellas back in the late 80s. That was an awesome night. I was in the mosh pit, got picked up and thrown on stage at the feet of Joey. He kicked my ass off the stage by kicking me with his chuck taylors. Had a bruise for about a week. Awesome effing night I had. Went back a week later and saw Primus there. I miss Rockafellas and not even sure if it is still there.

But again...stay in Charleston and drive in for the game. Charleston has way more stuff to do and if you are looking for the college party atmosphere then let me tell you that the parties and girls that go to College of Charleston are way better than anything you will find in Columbia and USC campus.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
So, Columbia as a whole sucks. Not much to do. The USC campus is nice and pretty with a typical area where there are bars. That area is called 5 points. To be honest, it really isn't that great either when you compare it to other college bar strips. Heck, even the strip bars in Columbia aren't that great.

BTW, I got kicked by Joey Ramone at a place called Rockafellas back in the late 80s. That was an awesome night. I was in the mosh pit, got picked up and thrown on stage at the feet of Joey. He kicked my ass off the stage by kicking me with his chuck taylors. Had a bruise for about a week. Awesome effing night I had. Went back a week later and saw Primus there. I miss Rockafellas and not even sure if it is still there.

But again...stay in Charleston and drive in for the game. Charleston has way more stuff to do and if you are looking for the college party atmosphere then let me tell you that the parties and girls that go to College of Charleston are way better than anything you will find in Columbia and USC campus.

Three paragraphs?

Yikes.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
and no punch line

Right. Unfortunately, between your failure to bring any humor there and some of your descriptions of the city and stadium surroundings, I regret to inform you that the "Visit Columbia Tourism Board" has decided not to have you do any future write-ups. They're just going another direction.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
It is next door to the State Fairgrounds, in other words, an asphalt hell even for tailgating. You are much better off staying in Charleston or Greenville. Greenville is rapidly turning into a great city, alot to do, and all kinds of activities. I've been to every UF-SC game there since 1993, and frankly, zero has really changed around the stadium. SC's baseball setup is top notch, along with their hoops arena, but both are right practically on campus, W-B is not.

My lawyer buddy went into private real estate practice about six years ago so no more lavish tailgates to bum off of. He was an assistant solicitor for years, and his fellow prosecutors state-wide would gather for some real big-time tailgating before and after, nothing like having bloody marys and omelets at 9 am for a noon kick, or steak and shrimp post-game.

I remember the 2005 tailgate well, first, it was Spurrier vs. Urban for the first time. Second, always saw some politicos at the tailgates, Strom Thurmond Jr. was a big wig prosecutor then, was always there every time I went, well in 2005, their was this hot 30-something new female state Rep making the rounds, and shaking hands and introducing herself to every single person there (around 200 I would guess), including yours truly. Well built with legs that wouldn't quit, but super sharp and really a go-getter. Name of Nikki Haley.

Yes, I remember the 95 game well, night game big time blowout, but basically followed the cold front down I-26 from up here, was pushing 80 up here at lunchtime, mid 30's when I got home. I remember 2001 as well, big game, GameDay in town, we were #3 they were #15, they did the blackout, record crowd, nice atmosphere, we fumbled a punt deep on our end early, they converted for a 7-0 lead, place went nuts, people talking **** en masse to me, I just stood there smirking. We led 27-10 at half, I waved bye bye to them up 40-10 at end of 3rd, 54-17 final. Spurrier's last SEC win at UF it turned out to be thanks to those Muslim cocksuckers on 9/11.

SC fans are normally docile, anytime I get lip, if in the stadium, I point blank ask them "then why the **** do you have the name of the GOAT from U of F plastered in your stadium? If they continue, I remind them, "why is the name of the GOAT and his WIFE from U of F on your IFP? Then it stops.

But again, nothing about Columbia is special, you are better off in Greenville, Charleston, even horse country over around Aiken near Augusta, GA instead of in the Columbia metro.
I was wondering how the fans were, I'm hoping because it's a night game that it starts out hostile. I'm looking for a good experience.

My goal is to hit up as many stadiums as I can in the future. I've been to so many games in the swamp but barely any away games or different stadiums.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I went to the 2019 game, it was a little chilly and raining, Gators played “meh” in a 38-27 win. Nothing nice to say other than I was able to check the stadium off the to do list. I don’t see ever returning.

The most memorable thing about the trip was a little Korean hole in the wall restaurant that was actually very good.

EDIT: Arirang restaurant on Decker avenue. Place looks like shyt but the food was great

Last edited:

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I'm sure it's mixed in somewhere, but I didn't see it with a click glance, be prepared for a rooster crow noise to go off constantly. Can get annoying af

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure it's mixed in somewhere, but I didn't see it with a click glance, be prepared for a rooster crow noise to go off constantly. Can get annoying af
That along with that stupid techno song they blast constantly to get the inbred fanbase jacked up and jumping. I can hear it in my head, and I hate it.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Go have fun, explore and report back your trips highlights (hope its a big "W")

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator