#2 NIT seed

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You're comparing Egbunu to one of the greatest defensive players in Gator history. While Young was limited offensively (kind of like Egbunu), his bball IQ was off the chart. I don't think Egbunu will get to that stage, but he can become very good. The issue I have is White has all former guards as assistant coaches. He needs an assistant who was a big man to coach them up.

I think Hill improved from last year. Frazier was a three point shooter and that's about it. In fact, Frazier couldn't really create his own three point shot. He needed to catch and shoot. While Allen is not the three point shooter Frazier was, he has a better all around game and he can create his own shot. However, having Frazier for sure would have helped and we probably would have won a few more games with him.

Walker just didn't have it between the ears. But he's playing well in the NBADL averaging about 10 points and 7 boards a game. But, that's probably his limit and will be stuck their or overseas.

Chiozza played well in January and the Feb. But man has he stunk in March.
That's the point. Egbunu has the same physical tools as Young, but that's it. A poor man's version.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Carter is a streaky shooter. Very capable of hitting the 3, but poor decisions. Him and Robinson had the same issues last year. White (or whoever is coaching Robinson) has really changed his mental game. Robinson could be our best player next year if he continues to improve.He made huge strides this year

I agree with you on Robinson. His growth the last half of the year has been great and we need him to pick up the loss of DFS.

He just needs to learn that he doesn't always have to go for the spectacular slam, but he is learning to pull up and shoot the mid-range jumper which makes him very dangerous.

I also think Egbunu will grow into a better player. He hasn't been playing basketball for long and if he can just develop a Macklin like hook shot it would be great. As it is.. just having a guy with that size is a help compared to last year. Last year we had nobody. I think you are underestimating how bad our front court was last year.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with you on Robinson. His growth the last half of the year has been great and we need him to pick up the loss of DFS.

He just needs to learn that he doesn't always have to go for the spectacular slam, but he is learning to pull up and shoot the mid-range jumper which makes him very dangerous.

I also think Egbunu will grow into a better player. He hasn't been playing basketball for long and if he can just develop a Macklin like hook shot it would be great. As it is.. just having a guy with that size is a help compared to last year. Last year we had nobody. I think you are underestimating how bad our front court was last year.
The front court was horrible, but the whole team was disorganized. Billy did an absolutely terrible job last year.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
White sat down with Robinson before the season and said he needed to do some things differently especially rebound, and especially offensive rebounding. Robinson started out with a bang and then went into a lull and has finished well. I hope he carries that into the NIT and next year. If he can knock down the 18 footer consistently he game will open up greatly.

Macklin was money with that lefty hook shot. Can we bring him in to coach up Egbunu?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I'm disappointed in being in the NIT... I really felt like this team should have made the tourney this year, but looking on the bright side... we hopefully will get to play more games and gain more experience in the NIT than we would have in the NCAA. Hopefully that better prepares us for a run next year, because losing DFS is going to hurt this team a lot!
Almost feels like we lost him after the first UK game, and you're right, it hurt a lot.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Frazier would have started over Allen. He's not a shot creator, but that isn't what this team needed.

The rest of those guys weren't good. Egbunu is twice the player Horford was. Hayes is better than Walker. Carter was just terrible - a low percentage high volume shooter that didn't pass, rebound or get to the foul line. Rimmer is basically the same as Kurtz, but fortunately he didn't need to play 20 minutes a game. That team didn't have anyone like Leon.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One thing that really disappointed me this year is that we didn't really take advantage of our athleticism and what we could have done in the press. We didn't trap and create turnovers. When we pressed it was like we were just trying to limit the amount of time we had to defend in the half court.

I get that white needs to have time to get players that fit what he wants to do, but at the same time you need to fit what you do to the players you have. Seemed we did a lot of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Frazier would have started over Allen. He's not a shot creator, but that isn't what this team needed.

The rest of those guys weren't good. Egbunu is twice the player Horford was. Hayes is better than Walker. Carter was just terrible - a low percentage high volume shooter that didn't pass, rebound or get to the foul line. Rimmer is basically the same as Kurtz, but fortunately he didn't need to play 20 minutes a game. That team didn't have anyone like Leon.

I agree with most of this besides Rimmer vs Kurtz....id take Kurtz in a heartbeat.

Rimmer may be the worst player I've seen play (somewhat significant minutes) at UF.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with most of this besides Rimmer vs Kurtz....id take Kurtz in a heartbeat.

Rimmer may be the worst player I've seen play (somewhat significant minutes) at UF.
You are probably remembering Rimmer whiff on that layup that turned into a 75 foot buzzer beater the other way.

You may not remember Kurtz scoring the winning basket for the clowns last year.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Clearly you never saw Joel Reinhart or Greg Cristell

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
You are probably remembering Rimmer whiff on that layup that turned into a 75 foot buzzer beater the other way.

You may not remember Kurtz scoring the winning basket for the clowns last year.

Haha I do remember that, but I also remember Kurtz actually making his lay ups. Rimmer literally misses every layup, it's really quite impressive actually.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone mention Matt McCall yet?
Don't know if it was mentioned earlier in this thread or not, but I know I saw it on GCMB last week when UTC won their conference championship. Go Mocs, beat the Hoosiers!

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Don't know if it was mentioned earlier in this thread or not, but I know I saw it on GCMB last week when UTC won their conference championship. Go Mocs, beat the Hoosiers!
Foley should keep him on speed dial!

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
McCall is kicking butt at the Nooga and it's his first year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator