#2 NIT seed

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
A football school that hasn't won or done jack for the last 6 years. A majority of which was coached by a total braindead Neanderthal of a man who you supported, sometimes militantly, right up to the very end. Your take on this issue has little credibility.

Folks are irritated and justifiably so.
Sorry I have a life outside of living vicariously through teenagers.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Damn, called that during the game.
HVdimDB.gif

Last edited:

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Last year did a lot of damage with Billy at the helm.
With 3 Elite 8's or better in a row the 3 years before (not to mention his HOF career prior to that) I think Billy had built up enough credit for a free-pass for last year. He also had a much less talented team than this one.

Mike White hasn't built up any safety margin. I wouldn't go so far as to say this was strike one, but come to think of it, yeah I would...this was strike one. He needs to make the tournament next year and bring in a helluva better group in 2017.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
With 3 Elite 8's or better in a row the 3 years before (not to mention his HOF career prior to that) I think Billy had built up enough credit for a free-pass for last year. He also had a much less talented team than this one.

Mike White hasn't built up any safety margin. I wouldn't go so far as to say this was strike one, but come to think of it, yeah I would...this was strike one. He needs to make the tournament next year and bring in a helluva better group in 2017.
he used all of that credit....all of it. Last year was an abomination.

And I keep hearing how much more talent we had this year, and I'll grant you that we probably did, but not by much.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
he used all of that credit....all of it. Last year was an abomination.

And I keep hearing how much more talent we had this year, and I'll grant you that we probably did, but not by much.

Not by much? Are you kidding? Do you realize the difference Egbunu himself made on this team? Last year we had absolutely no presence inside. Zero. We had Hortford and Walker and neither one were an offensive or defensive presence. They couldn't guard a big guy. Egbunu wasn't amazing, but it was a huge difference from anything we had last year in the middle.

Now... take that and add in KeVaughn Allen who actually had the ability to score and that by itself is a pretty big upgrade in talent. Yes, we lost Murphy to injury, but he wasn't really a shooter. He could slash and could have helped a little, but this team's inability to shoot was the issue.

I think Billy makes the tourney with this team. He wins 3 or 4 more games. If you watch the offense under White you see the guys standing around when they don't have the ball. The only screen you see is an on ball screen. There is a lack of constant motion and movement which would create more open shots.

I think this team can get better and I think White can get better. Is it really fair to compare White to what Billy was at the end of his career? Billy had to grow as a coach at UF while he was here. The difference is that Billy took over a program after Lon Kruger left and while Kruger got the team to the Final Four once and the tourney a couple times, he didn't elevate it the way that Billy did. With the way Billy elevated the program, our expectation was that we would hire a more refined coach and not somebody who had to learn on the job.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm disappointed in being in the NIT... I really felt like this team should have made the tourney this year, but looking on the bright side... we hopefully will get to play more games and gain more experience in the NIT than we would have in the NCAA. Hopefully that better prepares us for a run next year, because losing DFS is going to hurt this team a lot!

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The other thing you have to factor in is the adversity we had to deal with last year. Carter missed 5 games, DFS missed 5 games, Frazier missed 7 games and Murphy missed 10 games.

This year Leon missed a couple of games and that's pretty much it.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry I have a life outside of living vicariously through teenagers.

Then get the f off of here. No one is living vicariously through anyone. I think we had this convo last time we had a dust up. You really should think about taking some time away from here. No one is committing suicide. No one is burning couches. Your comments are so far off base. You are completely out of touch with the board at this point.

I love that your wife thumbs up your posts. It is rather funny. I never really picked on the dynamic until now. Having her come in here and stick up for you is pretty manly.

It is one thing to pick on someone for their opinions. I get that, but picking on anyone for caring and being a fan is downright idiotic.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

I agree in this case. If we miss the tourney next year and the 2017 class isn't a top 25 class, it's time to part ways. We need people in the seats of the new arena. Also, what would be the point in a 3rd year if things haven't gotten any better?

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not by much? Are you kidding? Do you realize the difference Egbunu himself made on this team? Last year we had absolutely no presence inside. Zero. We had Hortford and Walker and neither one were an offensive or defensive presence. They couldn't guard a big guy. Egbunu wasn't amazing, but it was a huge difference from anything we had last year in the middle.

Now... take that and add in KeVaughn Allen who actually had the ability to score and that by itself is a pretty big upgrade in talent. Yes, we lost Murphy to injury, but he wasn't really a shooter. He could slash and could have helped a little, but this team's inability to shoot was the issue.

I think Billy makes the tourney with this team. He wins 3 or 4 more games. If you watch the offense under White you see the guys standing around when they don't have the ball. The only screen you see is an on ball screen. There is a lack of constant motion and movement which would create more open shots.

I think this team can get better and I think White can get better. Is it really fair to compare White to what Billy was at the end of his career? Billy had to grow as a coach at UF while he was here. The difference is that Billy took over a program after Lon Kruger left and while Kruger got the team to the Final Four once and the tourney a couple times, he didn't elevate it the way that Billy did. With the way Billy elevated the program, our expectation was that we would hire a more refined coach and not somebody who had to learn on the job.
Egbunu is likely the most overrated player on the team. He's a poor man's version of Patrick Young. The guy can't even pass the ball. He's not explosive at all, and only got dunks because of penetration. He's a big guy and that helps on defense, but his actually defensive skill is limited right now. Just isn't a smart player.

As for Allen, he's a good player and I like what he did as a freshman. But are you really going to take Allen over Frazier? In the long run probably yes, but this year?

Basically, you have the same team as last year, but you replace Walker, Frazier, Murphy, Horford and Carter for Allen, Egbunu, Hayes and Rimmer. The big issue last year is why did Walker suck so bad? Who cares if he can shoot or not. Coach him to be a Ben Wallace/Dennis Rodman type. Dude was so athletic.

Not saying White is the answer, but the improvement in Chiozza and Robinson was noticeable throughout the year.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Egbunu is likely the most overrated player on the team. He's a poor man's version of Patrick Young. The guy can't even pass the ball. He's not explosive at all, and only got dunks because of penetration. He's a big guy and that helps on defense, but his actually defensive skill is limited right now. Just isn't a smart player.

As for Allen, he's a good player and I like what he did as a freshman. But are you really going to take Allen over Frazier? In the long run probably yes, but this year?

Basically, you have the same team as last year, but you replace Walker, Frazier, Murphy, Horford and Carter for Allen, Egbunu, Hayes and Rimmer. The big issue last year is why did Walker suck so bad? Who cares if he can shoot or not. Coach him to be a Ben Wallace/Dennis Rodman type. Dude was so athletic.

Not saying White is the answer, but the improvement in Chiozza and Robinson was noticeable throughout the year.

I disagree on Egbunu. While he definitely has to improve his skills offensively just having some type of low post option is huge. Even the ability to drive and dump off for a dunk which was there this year was a big difference. I'm not saying Egbunu is fantastic, but he is a huge improvement over what we had last year.

I really wasn't counting Frazier since he was hurt so much last year. Frazier would have definitely helped this team because it would have given them somebody who could shoot three pointers and it isn't like his NBA stock was going to ever be that good.

I think Robinson made a lot of improvement, but Chiozza regressed at the end of the year. Of course, Hill played great the last two games and if he can continue to play like that consistently I think that will be huge.

Walker sucked so bad because he sucked. He didn't work hard and while he was super athletic, he didn't have the ball skills needed.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I disagree on Egbunu. While he definitely has to improve his skills offensively just having some type of low post option is huge. Even the ability to drive and dump off for a dunk which was there this year was a big difference. I'm not saying Egbunu is fantastic, but he is a huge improvement over what we had last year.

I really wasn't counting Frazier since he was hurt so much last year. Frazier would have definitely helped this team because it would have given them somebody who could shoot three pointers and it isn't like his NBA stock was going to ever be that good.

I think Robinson made a lot of improvement, but Chiozza regressed at the end of the year. Of course, Hill played great the last two games and if he can continue to play like that consistently I think that will be huge.

Walker sucked so bad because he sucked. He didn't work hard and while he was super athletic, he didn't have the ball skills needed.
I think Billy quit on Walker. I think Walker was always going to be tough to coach, but you don't need ball skills to rebound and block shots.

Carter was missed too. Imagine having Frazier and Carter to shoot threes.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think Billy quit on Walker. I think Walker was always going to be tough to coach, but you don't need ball skills to rebound and block shots.

Carter was missed too. Imagine having Frazier and Carter to shoot threes.

I don't remember Carter playing much last year and I don't remember him being a good 3 point shooter. He shot 30% last year and 28% this year at BC. So I don't think he is any better than Hill or Chiozza and is worse than Allen. Frazier played in 26 games last year, so he played more than I thought, but I still seem to remember him recovering from an injury for much of the year.

I agree... having Frazier would have been huge this year.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

You're comparing Egbunu to one of the greatest defensive players in Gator history. While Young was limited offensively (kind of like Egbunu), his bball IQ was off the chart. I don't think Egbunu will get to that stage, but he can become very good. The issue I have is White has all former guards as assistant coaches. He needs an assistant who was a big man to coach them up.

I think Hill improved from last year. Frazier was a three point shooter and that's about it. In fact, Frazier couldn't really create his own three point shot. He needed to catch and shoot. While Allen is not the three point shooter Frazier was, he has a better all around game and he can create his own shot. However, having Frazier for sure would have helped and we probably would have won a few more games with him.

Walker just didn't have it between the ears. But he's playing well in the NBADL averaging about 10 points and 7 boards a game. But, that's probably his limit and will be stuck their or overseas.

Chiozza played well in January and the Feb. But man has he stunk in March.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't remember Carter playing much last year and I don't remember him being a good 3 point shooter. He shot 30% last year and 28% this year at BC. So I don't think he is any better than Hill or Chiozza and is worse than Allen. Frazier played in 26 games last year, so he played more than I thought, but I still seem to remember him recovering from an injury for much of the year.

I agree... having Frazier would have been huge this year.
Carter is a streaky shooter. Very capable of hitting the 3, but poor decisions. Him and Robinson had the same issues last year. White (or whoever is coaching Robinson) has really changed his mental game. Robinson could be our best player next year if he continues to improve.He made huge strides this year

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.