2014 World Cup Thread

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Germany is the better side. They deserve to win.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n13366 said:
Damn! Was kinda hoping for PK's. That goal was beautiful though!
I want PK's as well. As boring as soccer is, penalty kicks are one of the most exciting things in sports.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I wanted PKs as well. But Gotze did get the latest goal in Workd Cup final history... Pretty cool.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
JC_Gator;n13367 said:
Anybody here care about Gator Soccer?
I would if I could find any news on it or ways to watch it. It is a hard sport to follow because of the lack of coverage.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
8802Gator said:
Swamp Queen;n13366 said:
I want PK's as well. As boring as soccer is, penalty kicks are one of the most exciting things in sports.
Pks are awful. Might as well flip a coin to decide the match.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I go to all the home games. It's hard to find on TV although about 5-8 games will be televised on ESPNU and SEC Network this year. Gatorzone.com/soccer has some news. Savannah Jordan our striker is incredible. She was 3rd in the nation in goal totals as a freshman last year.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
8802Gator said:
Swamp Queen;n13366 said:
It's better than watching 130 mins of boring for 20 seconds of exciting.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
JC_Gator;n13377 said:
I go to all the home games. It's hard to find on TV although about 5-8 games will be televised on ESPNU and SEC Network this year. Gatorzone.com/soccer has some news. Savannah Jordan our striker is incredible. She was 3rd in the nation in goal totals as a freshman last year.
I am in St. Pete so getting to a game is a little tougher. I have been checking in on the team and the scores though. Savannah is amazing to watch.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I understand. Well there should be more opportunity this year at least. She may be the next Wambach.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The best team won the tournament. Germany was brilliant throughout. Tremendously entertaining World Cup!

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They were on offense about 75% of the match. I'm surprised they couldn't drum up another score.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
JC_Gator;n13367 said:
Anybody here care about Gator Soccer?
I support the Gators. It is all or nothing. Miami, FSU, UK....those are the fans that pick and choose. Just ask Alvin.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's soccer 4 U. You watch the whole damn game with only a scant handful of scoring opportunities that ends as a 0-0 stalemate. The game is decided in Overtime with a mundane two man fast break that suddenly blossoms with a fake scoring strike that sucks in the goal keeper and finishes with a off leg kick to score.

I"m shocked none of you have refereed to Messi as a soccer version of Peyton. He muffed a golden scoring opportunity when his couldn't negotiate a goal on a breakaway In the overtime period after Germany had scored he blew another scoring opportunity with a wide open header that soared over the goal. Don't be surprised if the International soccer media crucifies the celebrated consensus best soccer player on the Planet.

PS
Don't cry for me, Argentina :)

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n13547 said:
That's soccer 4 U. You watch the whole damn game with only a scant handful of scoring opportunities that ends as a 0-0 stalemate. The game is decided in Overtime with a mundane two man fast break that suddenly blossoms with a fake scoring strike that sucks in the goal keeper and finishes with a off leg kick to score. I"m shocked none of you have refereed to Messi as a soccer version of Peyton. He muffed a golden scoring opportunity when his couldn't negotiate a goal on a breakaway In the overtime period after Germany had scored he blew another scoring opportunity with a wide open header that soared over the goal. Don't be surprised if the International soccer media crucifies the celebrated consensus best soccer player on the Planet. PS Don't cry for me, Argentina :)
Messi won't be crucified. Argentina doesn't even sniff the Final without him. I assume that was the rationale in awarding him the Golden Ball (although I disagree that he was the best player of the tournament...guys like Rodriguez for Colombia or Mueller for Germany were more deserving of that distinction). Personally, I am happy that Argentina did not win. I don't particularly care for their team either. And although Messi is tremendously talented, he's a bit of a square in the personality department and almost respects his opposition TOO much. While I didn't like Maradona's either, at least he was more of a fiery, lighting rod type of personality. My favorite athletes tend to play with a little bit of arrogance or a chip on their shoulder; I don't see any of that in him. Truth be told, Argentina overachieved in this tournament. Holland vs. Germany would've made for a much more dramatic finale.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
heversle said:
Alvin York;n13547 said:
That's soccer 4 U. You watch the whole damn game with only a scant handful of scoring opportunities that ends as a 0-0 stalemate. The game is decided in Overtime with a mundane two man fast break that suddenly blossoms with a fake scoring strike that sucks in the goal keeper and finishes with a off leg kick to score. I"m shocked none of you have refereed to Messi as a soccer version of Peyton. He muffed a golden scoring opportunity when his couldn't negotiate a goal on a breakaway In the overtime period after Germany had scored he blew another scoring opportunity with a wide open header that soared over the goal. Don't be surprised if the International soccer media crucifies the celebrated consensus best soccer player on the Planet. PS Don't cry for me, Argentina :)
Messi won't be crucified. Argentina doesn't even sniff the Final without him. I assume that was the rationale in awarding him the Golden Ball (although I disagree that he was the best player of the tournament...guys like Rodriguez for Colombia or Mueller for Germany were more deserving of that distinction). Personally, I am happy that Argentina did not win. I don't particularly care for their team either. And although Messi is tremendously talented, he's a bit of a square in the personality department and almost respects his opposition TOO much. While I didn't like Maradona's either, at least he was more of a fiery, lighting rod type of personality. My favorite athletes tend to play with a little bit of arrogance or a chip on their shoulder; I don't see any of that in him. Truth be told, Argentina overachieved in this tournament. Holland vs. Germany would've made for a much more dramatic finale.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator