2015 Run Game

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
I know we desperately need a passing attack that surpasses the last 5 years. That being said, it will probably take time to develop. We are not exactly stacked at receiver and unproven at qb, OLine. It may be that we will still be run heavy to start the McElwain era as we develop along the OLine. With the addition of Scarlett and Cronkite to Taylor and Lane, can we get to a Bama/LSU style run attack that equals more than three yards and a cloud of dust in 2015? I for one am fired up to see Scarlett tote the rock for the Orange and Blue. What is the expectation in Gatorchatter Land? In the immortal words of Ox: Discuss

Attachments

• conv_2430.jpg
    conv_2430.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 55

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
May our new running-brutes scare opposing LBs into leaving 10 yard quick-hit passes to wet the feet of our new
pass-attack QBack. I pray for the possibilities, of creating daylight and hitting daylight -- back to the good ole days
of GatorNation Swampers all springing to their feet to see how far those RBs breakaway.

PS : I've got a photo of Leo ironing an Auburn jersey … but that's all water under the bridge we've burned.
Thank Heaven.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think we have to come out of the gate throwing, and throwing on first down a lot too. Maybe depending on who is the starting QB, the other teams will stack the box to make us prove that we are capable of having a passing game.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
there is no way in God's green earth that our play calling next year will be as predictable as it has been. that fact alone will help open things up and help the offensive players grow. and UF did show ability to run block so there is definitely something to build on. if the opponent's defense is sitting back a little more because they aren't anticipating everything we'll do, they won't be able to stack the box and our own version of the four horsemen will be able to make things happen. instead of "taking what the defense gives us " we need to go in this direction ...

Attachments

• conv_2383.gif
    conv_2383.gif
    2.2 MB · Views: 69
  • conv_2383.gif
    conv_2383.gif
    2.2 MB · Views: 58

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
With the way Mac is setting this up yes, we will run the ball. But which ever QB we start they will protect him in the play calling and allow him to manage a game rather than take it on his shoulders. Once he has mastered that it will be full out offensive bliss. They have done this before with QB's at Bama. I suspect they will do the same here. But UF will be able to pound the rock very well.

Dec 10, 2014
Albert;n174574 said:
We are not exactly stacked at receiver

Our WR depth may not be as big an issue as some think. (Please see "as big an issue"). I think a). they'll play better under an offensive minded regime and develop quicker and b). we have Worton and Sousa in the pipe line to step up. On top of them, I think Callaway can play early.

To get back to your original point, I don't know as much about the x's and o's. My impression is that run blocking is easier to deal with than pass blocking. I'm sure Coach Mac will begin with a more run-oriented offense and transition as the season and players progress. One advantage we will have this season is that not many people will know what to expect. I think the play calling in the Tennessee game will give you a good idea which way the coaching staff is leaning toward pass/run. With Grier having a RS and Harris having played last year, the QBs aren't as green as they could be. They are simply hampered by the ineffectiveness of the last regime.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If we do rely on the run game, it will be to set up the pass. Unlike the former coach who used the run game to set up more running.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n174622 said:
If we do rely on the run game, it will be to set up the pass. Unlike the former coach who used the run game to set up more running.

Ain't that the truth. Well stated, sir.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Albert;n174574 said:
I know we desperately need a passing attack that surpasses the last 5 years. That being said, it will probably take time to develop. We are not exactly stacked at receiver and unproven at qb, OLine. It may be that we will still be run heavy to start the McElwain era as we develop along the OLine. With the addition of Scarlett and Cronkite to Taylor and Lane, can we get to a Bama/LSU style run attack that equals more than three yards and a cloud of dust in 2015? I for one am fired up to see Scarlett tote the rock for the Orange and Blue. What is the expectation in Gatorchatter Land? In the immortal words of Ox: Discuss
We have the RB for sure but we need an OL. We could easily have one of the best rushing attacks in the SEC if we could open up some holes for them. Get a passing game going and it'll be that much easier on the OL when the other team can't stack 9 in the box.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm just excited to have a HC that will do whatever works instead of being so stubborn about their personal philosophies.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think we can all agree that the best play makers on offense are at the RB position, but the questionable O-line can certainly complicate things. Many assume that we'll be really good running the ball because that was the one thing our offense was good at, but now that we have 4 new starters on the O-line, we really don't know if they are good run blockers or not. Run blocking is easier to teach than pass blocking, but it also takes size and strength. I think we have decent size, but the strength factor is unknown. Hopefully the new S&C coach will more than earn his paycheck this year.

I also suspect that we'll see more passes and screens thrown to our RB's. For some reason both Driskel and Harris struggled in this area, but I'm sure Harris can improve with some coaching. If I remember correctly, Taylor and Lane's hands are OK, but this area may be where the freshmen make the biggest impact. Powell may line up at RB some, but I think he'll mostly play in the slot.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
GatorJB;n174765 said:
I also suspect that we'll see more passes and screens thrown to our RB's. For some reason both Driskel and Harris struggled in this area, but I'm sure Harris can improve with some coaching. If I remember correctly, Taylor and Lane's hands are OK, but this area may be where the freshmen make the biggest impact. Powell may line up at RB some, but I think he'll mostly play in the slot.

This is what I'm expecting - quick (easy?) short throws to Powell in the slot or RBs in the flat to make up for a developing OL. This should slow down a run defense, and possibly get them to back out of the box a bit to open up running lanes for us.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's funny how history (or at least most on this board) will remember Muschamp. We haven't been able to make the passing game work since Meyer's last year (do you remember the fun of watching JB4, 3Burton, and Jordan Reed?!?) - and yeah, WM and his OC's never got it corrected - that's unacceptable. Still, some of our most memorable and biggest wins came when we ran to set up the run (LSU 2012, UGA 2014) while trying to air it out helped produce Miami 2013, Louisville 2012/13, and E. Mich 2014, Kentucky 2014, and Bama 2014.

When we opened it up against anyone but those we way overmatched, we lost - sometimes even when we were head and shoulders better than them! Run, run, run didn't always work, but it did sometimes, even against superior opponents.

Keep telling yourselves that Muschamp is dumb and doesn't understand football as well as you do. Keep believing that we should have been airing it out against everyone. ...or face reality that for some reason we could never get pass protection, good WR play and sufficient QB play to have a consistently good (or even dependable) passing attack. Before you blame WM, we already know he was responsible and he's been fired, along with three OC's. :deadhorse:

Will Muschamp - the coach who foolishly ran when his team couldn't pass.

I hope and have to believe that JM's going to get our offense and our passing attack fixed.

Go Gators!
:chomp:

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As to the OP, I hope the freshmen (especially Scarlett) will be able to contribute, but I'm looking first for Taylor and Lane to show something. When you've underperformed, you always look for salvation from the new blood - players or coaches. I look forward to having some success and Gator fans spending the off season anticipating how "player x" will enter the season as a AA candidate.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
Good topic. I am looking forward to some downhill passing, but this is going to mean player development with a lot of question marks. Do we even have a receiver who can catch a ball after he’s run a route? Can we get some timing and accuracy from Harris or Grier? I am looking forward to a coach is capable of sharpening the weapons in his quiver. I look for excitement in the passing and the ground game. In Mac We Trust.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
EuroGator;175093 said:
Keep telling yourselves that Muschamp is dumb and doesn't understand football as well as you
I'm not a plastic surgeon, but if only 74% of his patients' boobs come out the same size, I know he probably sucks at his job. I'm not an engineer, but if only 74% of his bridges stay standing, I know he's not very good at his job. I don't have to be a coach to see a guy that only wins 74% of his games (@ UF of all places) is not a very good coach.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n175093 said:
It's funny how history (or at least most on this board) will remember Muschamp. We haven't been able to make the passing game work since Meyer's last year (do you remember the fun of watching JB4, 3Burton, and Jordan Reed?!?) - and yeah, WM and his OC's never got it corrected - that's unacceptable. Still, some of our most memorable and biggest wins came when we ran to set up the run (LSU 2012, UGA 2014) while trying to air it out helped produce Miami 2013, Louisville 2012/13, and E. Mich 2014, Kentucky 2014, and Bama 2014.

When we opened it up against anyone but those we way overmatched, we lost - sometimes even when we were head and shoulders better than them! Run, run, run didn't always work, but it did sometimes, even against superior opponents.

Keep telling yourselves that Muschamp is dumb and doesn't understand football as well as you do. Keep believing that we should have been airing it out against everyone. ...or face reality that for some reason we could never get pass protection, good WR play and sufficient QB play to have a consistently good (or even dependable) passing attack. Before you blame WM, we already know he was responsible and he's been fired, along with three OC's. :deadhorse:

Will Muschamp - the coach who foolishly ran when his team couldn't pass.

I hope and have to believe that JM's going to get our offense and our passing attack fixed.

Go Gators!
:chomp:

I cannot believe there are still people defending that guy as a HC. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator