2015 Run Game

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
man, the sky is falling over at the gatorsports.com forum on the Dixon topic. they need some cheese to go with all that whine. until it's patently obvious our new coach is screwing things up, there is no reason to go chicken little. let's give that vibe a rest for at least a little while and enjoy the departure of chump and the promise of something better for now.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n175125 said:
I cannot believe there are still people defending that guy as a HC. :lol:

That post was not defending WM. I'm pointing out that the narrative told about him is the wrong narrative.

No matter what the "program brass" say about him - even after his firing, no matter what his players say about him, no matter what media "experts" say about him, or what other coaches (even SOS!) most here simply dismiss it to write their own version. I'm trying to say that people here are mis-diagnosing the problem. WM failed as a coach. He didn't lead our team - specifically our offense - to be good enough to compete at the level rightly expected. He deserved to be fired. ...and he was.

...but ragging on him for "running to set up the run" and other similar ideas misses the point. Our only chance against equal or better teams (of which there were far too many) was to run it. The combination of bad and inconsistent QB play (Treon was bad too), WR play, and pass protection often left our team with only one possible chance at success. If we could run it on opponents, we had a chance. If we had to pass, we were screwed.

People here want to, not only blame him for the program's failure (justified considering his position and responsibility), but also make a caricature out of him - regardless of it's accuracy. Just make him the personification of everything you don't like about the program and then you can be happy again knowing that the (one, real) problem is gone.

I'd rather try to understand it for what it is.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Without a decent line we won't be running the ball effectively.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n175113 said:
I don't have to be a coach to see a guy that only wins 74% of his games (@ UF of all places) is not a very good coach.

Do you think I was saying that WM was a good coach at UF?

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
EuroGator;175172 said:
Do you think I was saying that WM was a good coach at UF?
How in the world would somebody not think you did after that post?!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n174622 said:
If we do rely on the run game, it will be to set up the pass. Unlike the former coach who used the run game to set up more running.
Wobble, I swear this is the first time I recall you actually contributing.

Kudos.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n175093 said:
It's funny how history (or at least most on this board) will remember Muschamp.
Mushchimp will be remembered by everyone as the worst coach in four decades.

Next time you are at a Mushchimp family reunion, say hi to Coach 9 and punch the Dawg in the nuts for us.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
HogtownGator;n175102 said:
Good topic. I am looking forward to some downhill passing, but this is going to mean player development with a lot of question marks.
I expect to see more running to the edges and quick passes.

It's the way you make up for a poor and thin OL. Inside power running like Bammer played takes inside power linemen like Bammer had. Downhill passing takes OL that can hold blocks for a longer time (which also increases chances of injuries for the OL). I don't think that's what we'll see at first and I don't think what we see at first will be our offense in year 2 and 3.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Could you image how unstoppable we would be if we had McGee run the wildcat?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n175163 said:
...but ragging on him for "running to set up the run"
Running to setup the run gave us Ga Southern, Mizzu twice, Vandy, Furman, LaLafayette and every other horrible loss or near horrible loss that we suffered under that Ray Goof protege.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n175171 said:
Without a decent line we won't be running the ball effectively.
Truth.

Lets hope Mac has some Bammer type trick to make those guys invincible by next fall.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n175246 said:
Wobble, I swear this is the first time I recall you actually contributing.

Kudos.

I wasn't feeling well yesterday.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n175163 said:
That post was not defending WM. I'm pointing out that the narrative told about him is the wrong narrative.

No matter what the "program brass" say about him - even after his firing, no matter what his players say about him, no matter what media "experts" say about him, or what other coaches (even SOS!) most here simply dismiss it to write their own version. I'm trying to say that people here are mis-diagnosing the problem. WM failed as a coach. He didn't lead our team - specifically our offense - to be good enough to compete at the level rightly expected. He deserved to be fired. ...and he was.

...but ragging on him for "running to set up the run" and other similar ideas misses the point. Our only chance against equal or better teams (of which there were far too many) was to run it. The combination of bad and inconsistent QB play (Treon was bad too), WR play, and pass protection often left our team with only one possible chance at success. If we could run it on opponents, we had a chance. If we had to pass, we were screwed.

People here want to, not only blame him for the program's failure (justified considering his position and responsibility), but also make a caricature out of him - regardless of it's accuracy. Just make him the personification of everything you don't like about the program and then you can be happy again knowing that the (one, real) problem is gone.

You are right. But the bigger picture is he was here for FOUR years and couldn't manage to recruit and/or coach decent offensive playmakers. You may as well throw in TE in there as well since you named every other offensive position but RB. It's one thing to say we couldn't get the QB right OR the WR, etc. But when you defend him and say our only chance was to run the ball because we had sh!tty QB's, OL, WR (and TE)...that's pretty telling of a bigger overall problem.

Literally EVERY position group BUT RB has been an absolute mess and RB frankly has only been average. There's no way around it, that starts and ends with WM. Call it poor recruiting, call it poor coaching, poor hiring, poor scheming, whatever. But there is no way around the fact that we were ranked around 101st in total offense for FOUR years. That is on him and for that there is no defense. He failed miserably in EVERY aspect on offense and that is why he was fired.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n175252 said:
Running to setup the run gave us Ga Southern, Mizzu twice, Vandy, Furman, LaLafayette and every other horrible loss or near horrible loss that we suffered under that Ray Goof protege.

Including the embarrassing and epic meltdown against USCe this season.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n175163 said:

Its funny the QB he ran off did good at NC State this season after they went 3-9 the prior season and they don't have much talent at all around him up there. Muschamp was the one who insisted on Driskel starting despite his terrible play. Harris might not have looked great as a true freshman but we lose to TN without him and probably would have beat LSU if he started that game.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n175379 said:
You are right.

Thank you! Finally! Someone get's it.

Alagator;n175379 said:
But the bigger picture is he was here for FOUR years and couldn't manage to recruit and/or coach decent offensive playmakers. You may as well throw in TE in there as well since you named every other offensive position but RB. It's one thing to say we couldn't get the QB right OR the WR, etc. But when you defend him and say our only chance was to run the ball because we had sh!tty QB's, OL, WR (and TE)...that's pretty telling of a bigger overall problem.

Literally EVERY position group BUT RB has been an absolute mess and RB frankly has only been average. There's no way around it, that starts and ends with WM. Call it poor recruiting, call it poor coaching, poor hiring, poor scheming, whatever. But there is no way around the fact that we were ranked around 101st in total offense for FOUR years. That is on him and for that there is no defense. He failed miserably in EVERY aspect on offense and that is why he was fired.

Yeah. I tried to acknowledge that in both of my previous posts. See...

From the first post...

EuroGator;n175093 said:
We haven't been able to make the passing game work since Meyer's last year (do you remember the fun of watching JB4, 3Burton, and Jordan Reed?!?) - and yeah, WM and his OC's never got it corrected - that's unacceptable.

and
EuroGator;n175093 said:
Before you blame WM, we already know he was responsible and he's been fired, along with three OC's. :deadhorse:

From the second post...

EuroGator;n175163 said:

EuroGator;n175163 said:
I'm trying to say that people here are mis-diagnosing the problem. WM failed as a coach. He didn't lead our team - specifically our offense - to be good enough to compete at the level rightly expected. He deserved to be fired. ...and he was.

This is more confirmation that people's despise him so much they aren't thinking (or reading) straight. The results sucked. He got canned. I'm saying that those who think all he wanted to do was run it and those who think he was dumb for running it might be missing the point.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So, instead of writing several novels, couldn't you have just said he sucked as a HC but because of our personnel issues he was right for the run first mentality?

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Any time someone on this board wants to refute a negative claim against Muschamp, they need to develop the thought.

Still, a bunch of people are going to jump in and argue.

...and be wise acres.

No, I couldn't have just said that because I believe it was more than just personnel issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator