2016 College World Series

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's the risk you take when you willfully give up an out. When you're running out of outs, why give one up? It's just the shift that baseball has taken in the last 10-15 years. Sac bunting is going the way of the dodo for a reason.

The local minor league team in Clearwater has been working on it, saw three sac bunts Monday, and two last night. It also helps to work on these things when the score is out of hand.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
For those that are saying Sully could improve, especially from a batter's approach at the plate, I get that. The thing is, we had good plate discipline during the season, then it just went to hell come Omaha. I think the SEC, including UF, and other teams on our schedule were overrated....and it showed up in the post season.

For those that are saying we part ways with Sully, I need to hear who could do as well, or even better? I follow college baseball pretty well and I can't come up with anyone better.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
For those that are saying Sully could improve, especially from a batter's approach at the plate, I get that. The thing is, we had good plate discipline during the season, then it just went to hell come Omaha. I think the SEC, including UF, and other teams on our schedule were overrated....and it showed up in the post season.

For those that are saying we part ways with Sully, I need to hear who could do as well, or even better? I follow college baseball pretty well and I can't come up with anyone better.

I'm good with Sully, the team just looked tight. Like the weight of the world was on them. Might be something they need to change up in approach.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

This is where I'm at. I can't think of anyone else who would get the program to the CWS as consistently as he does. Our luck will happen sometime, but at least he's getting us there.

Unless of course any monkey could coach here "because Florida".

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I will say that bunting for a squeeze when you have a man on third and less than two outs is a great call if you have a capable bunter and someone who can run on third. It's practically impossible to defend when done right.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I don't doubt that, but people were also saying that Alonso was our only long ball hitter and we needed more power in the lineup (I don't have the time nor the will to go find it, but I'm not misremembering). Like I said, people like to complain, a lot.
We do need more hitters, not necessarily long ball, but a little more balance. And being able and willing to play small ball while simultaneously having hitters spread through the order are not mutually exclusive concepts.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Not everyone is on board with the change from small ball to "big" ball.

I assume you meant the change to small ball from "big" ball. And with that said, you make it sound like we have to totally revamp our entire philosophy, process and team...which isn't the case. Guys playing at the college level should know how to bunt, hit & run, etc. by now. There is room for small ball and "big" ball by the same team during the same game. It's all situational. Unfortunately that is a message that apparently hasn't been communicated from the top down.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I assume you meant the change to small ball from "big" ball. And with that said, you make it sound like we have to totally revamp our entire philosophy, process and team...which isn't the case. Guys playing at the college level should know how to bunt, hit & run, etc. by now. There is room for small ball and "big" ball by the same team during the same game. It's all situational. Unfortunately that is a message that apparently hasn't been communicated from the top down.
No, I meant the change from small to big. Baseball has had this "small ball" mentality since its inception. The last 10-15 years have changed that thinking with advanced analytics like sabermetrics. Very few teams still use small ball and are electing to swing away more. Just because the announcer last night mentioned bunting doesn't mean it was the best course of action, especially with a guaranteed intentional walk for our best power hitter. The announcer must be stuck in the old days, which is pretty common for baseball people.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
No, I meant the change from small to big. Baseball has had this "small ball" mentality since its inception. The last 10-15 years have changed that thinking with advanced analytics like sabermetrics. Very few teams still use small ball and are electing to swing away more. Just because the announcer last night mentioned bunting doesn't mean it was the best course of action, especially with a guaranteed intentional walk for our best power hitter. The announcer must be stuck in the old days, which is pretty common for baseball people.
Well, we did lose the freaking game, so maybe the announcer wasn't as dumb as you paint him.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Just because the announcer last night mentioned bunting doesn't mean it was the best course of action, especially with a guaranteed intentional walk for our best power hitter.

Thx for clarifying the small ball issue. You're still assuming, though, that they would have pitched to our power hitter. Men on first and second with no outs...if we don't bunt the guys over and swing away instead, we very well may hit into a DP, which was the norm last night. If that happened, 2 outs with a man on either 1st or 3rd base is still a good situation for the pitcher to intentionally walk the batter. Bunting the men over based on how badly we were struggling at the plate was the correct call.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Back when I deligently followed MLB, the best hitters were not bunters. They used their "natural swings".
I believe small-ball should only be invoked on players that do not have HR swings. Is that the training
that JJ got -- because with that training Schwartz dropped from 18 HRs to 8. How many more HRs might
we have hit if "swings" were not trained towards small ball ? Hope we can get a freshman or two who can
hit 18 HRs like Schwartz... obviously it's doable.

Anyway, UF wound up #3 in the final rankings, behind aTm and Miami.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Thx for clarifying the small ball issue. You're still assuming, though, that they would have pitched to our power hitter. Men on first and second with no outs...if we don't bunt the guys over and swing away instead, we very well may hit into a DP, which was the norm last night. If that happened, 2 outs with a man on either 1st or 3rd base is still a good situation for the pitcher to intentionally walk the batter. Bunting the men over based on how badly we were struggling at the plate was the correct call.
Taking the bat out of the hands of two of your three best hitters via a bunt and intentional walk was not the correct call. If we had the bottom of the order coming up, I would have understood.

hop&skipnorth

Jun 4, 2016
Where they didn't score because they wasted an out. So no, it didn't work.
It did work. The runners were moved into scoring position. Who's to say that Reed wouldn't have hit into a double play if he had been given the green light to swing away?
As far as the people wanting O'Sullivan fired? We have had some outstanding baseball coaches over the years that rarely sniffed Omaha so as disappointing as the season wound up I'll keep backing O'Sullivan. He does need to refine some of his strategy and philosophy, though. I believe he will. Damn, I can't believe I've turned into a pumper.:eek3::eek3::eek4:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It did work. The runners were moved into scoring position. Who's to say that Reed wouldn't have hit into a double play if he had been given the green light to swing away?
As far as the people wanting O'Sullivan fired? We have had some outstanding baseball coaches over the years that rarely sniffed Omaha so as disappointing as the season wound up I'll keep backing O'Sullivan. He does need to refine some of his strategy and philosophy, though. I believe he will. Damn, I can't believe I've turned into a pumper.:eek3::eek3::eek4:
I'm not familiar with the stats this year, but how often has Reed grounded into a double play? He's fast as crap and a lefty, I imagine it doesn't happen often.

hop&skipnorth

Jun 4, 2016
I'm not familiar with the stats this year, but how often has Reed grounded into a double play? He's fast as crap and a lefty, I imagine it doesn't happen often.
He may be fast as crap but he's still only about a .250 hitter and I believe he hit into a double play against Coastal in a similar situation. Actually, he was hitting less than .250 when they packed their bags and came home.

I heard they left their bats in Omaha because they were defective. They claimed the manufacturers left the hits out of 'em.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Let's not forget how the baseball produces odd, unpredictable outcomes in elimination tournaments.
UF's SEC & CWS fate made the winningest team in college baseball a loser. Yes it has happened to
us too many times. Gators will reload and be back in it next year. For sure, Sully is tired of feeling
the big disappointment and of seeing his players in tears or sudden depression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.