2016 Defense

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
I think there is nowhere to go but up for the offense. An adequate QB, an improved and deeper OL, good RBs, good TEs, and hopefully some more playmakers from the 2016 class make improvement very likely.

BUT, I am worried about the D after today. Rolin was a joke and got benched after wiffing several times in the 1st qtr. We went back to the two LB set and played a little better for a while. We have next to nothing at LB past Davis. Anzalone and Rolin are bleeders and I don't think either one will contribute much in the long run. Reese better come in and be in beast mode right away. Maye and Neal are already challenged by downfield throws, and if they go pro we have nothing at either safety position. VHIII can get lost. Trying to jump that route and getting torched was selfish and stupid. We've had problems with downfield balls all year and it really humiliated us today. Tabor and Wilson will be ok and this could be the only part of the D that is solid because no one besides Bullard and Brantley did squat today. CeCe may have to move inside next year if we don't recruit better and get some guys like Bryan and Ivie to step it up. I think we see a big dropoff in the play of the defense next year if we don't see some younger guys develop and get some better recruits by signing day, and I'm not sure the improvement in the offense will be enough to carry us. Mac could experience a MAJOR sophomore slump in his second year.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Defense will take a step back, but not be horrible by any stretch. The offense, assuming Treon Harris never takes another snap at QB for us, takes a mighty step forward by default. It's basically a wash. Most likely it'll be another 9-10 win season. Possibly missing out on the SEC East next year depending on how UGA and UT hold up.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Can't disagree either. Hopefully the offense playing better will inspire the D to pay better. It's a little easier to play D if you've made the other team one dimensional by having a nice lead.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty solid statement.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I believe we will see a significant Sophomore Slump just as you said. Significant.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I expect next year to be better than this year. The offense should be better as the o-line and QB position will be improved. The defense may take a step back but not by much. Cece is going to be a monster. Brantley and Bryan can be as well but needs to be more consistent. I am worried about linebacker. Looking at the schedule, I think we finish 8-4 or 9-3. That is assuming we stay healthy at QB. We will have a true freshman behind Del Rio.

By better I think the team will be better. That may not show up in the record as the schedule is tougher next year.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Don't forget Saban went 7-6 and lost to Lafayette in his first season at Bama. Not saying Mac is Saban, but it takes time to rebuild.

I have faith that Mac will turn this around.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
The defense will take a step back, but a step back from elite is still a pretty solid defense. The offense will most certainly take a step forward. I really wish McGee could be here..

Am I the only one who thinks VHIII is going to be a NFL bust? I love the kid and I'm super grateful for what he's done for Gator Nation but I personally think he's overrated. He's played pretty well in the past and built a reputation that had defenses throwing away from him this year. The problem is the few times teams actually threw his way he was getting burned for big plays. I just don't know if he will excel in the NFL.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The defense will take a step back, but a step back from elite is still a pretty solid defense. The offense will most certainly take a step forward. I really wish McGee could be here..

Am I the only one who thinks VHIII is going to be a NFL bust? I love the kid and I'm super grateful for what he's done for Gator Nation but I personally think he's overrated. He's played pretty well in the past and built a reputation that had defenses throwing away from him this year. The problem is the few times teams actually threw his way he was getting burned for big plays. I just don't know if he will excel in the NFL.

Elite? :lol: No.
VHIII Overrated? :lol: Yes.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Tabor will be 100 times a better pro player than VHIII.

Tabor may have to move to safety at the next level. Not many 4.6 corners in the NFL and the ones that do run a 4.6 are 6'3-6.4 like a Browner or Sherman. VH3 runs a solid 4.4 and is more athletic than Tabor.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Everything said above But the single most important factor missing from this team as well as most of the last 4 or 5 years is plain and simple. We need to start knocking peoples dicks in the dirt.....We need a power factor to every player on this team. Guys need to get in the damned weight room and get a nasty ass attitude about them. **** the players who never look different from their first day to their last, give us players who will bust their ass during their 4 or 5 years to be the biggest, baddest, dudes on the block.
Not sure if anyone else has noticed that everytime since 2009 we've been in the ring against another top tier program we have gotten pushed around and punched in the lip. This has to change before anything else with this....

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good chance we see Gardner or the Alabama safety playing some next year at safety and nickel. I think Anzalone will be a bust because of injuries. Rolin looked small out there. I think the DLine will play well, maybe better than this year as a whole unit. LBs and safeties will be a concern.

Offense should be better as a whole. I'll be excited if Lewis can stay healthy at TE. He seemed to be blocking pretty well and he is a dynamic TE as a receiver.

Doopree

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Don't forget Saban went 7-6 and lost to Lafayette in his first season at Bama. Not saying Mac is Saban, but it takes time to rebuild.

I have faith that Mac will turn this around.

I'm so ****ing sick of people using this bullsh*t about Saban rebuilding Bama. It's going to be another year of this crap before we're decent again.

DeltaGlamma

Born a Gator
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Hey Doopree, you aren't the only one! I got to hear again today how my 84 yr old mother hopes she lives long enough to see us good again :(

Wake up Gators, this shyt is URGENT!!!

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We should bump this thread about a week before the season next year and see how different some of these opinions are. Guys, we aren't the first team to lay an egg in a bowl game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator