2016 Defense

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Which part? I'm not going threw the games play by play for you.

You're the one saying they were terrible in those games. You tell me.

The Bama game the defense was on the field for 44 minutes. You obviously think that shouldn't impact their performance.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Y'all are a bunch of unrealistic babies for the most part. Mac was left with a pile of trash, give it some time. Good grief.

Year 1- 10 wins. I will take it. We are in rebuild mode, what more do you want?

Don't forget we won the East. Some folks are in for a rude awakening next year. Winning ten really set some unreal expectations next year when the rebuild is really on.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You're the one saying they were terrible in those games. You tell me.

The Bama game the defense was on the field for 44 minutes. You obviously think that shouldn't impact their performance.
They were on the field cause they couldn't stop Henry from toting the rock 44 times. Same goes with LSU. They stopped Cook for most of the game till they gave up.

Look, I'm not saying the offense doesn't hold its share but today we actually had offense and defense never came to play.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They were on the field cause they could stop Henry from toting the rock 44 times. Same goes with LSU. They stopped Cook for most of the game till they gave up.

Look, I'm not saying the offense doesn't hold its share but today we actually had offense and defense never came to play.

Defense was abysmal today. But they were great all year. I guarantee you that just about every school in the SEC other than Bama would take our defense over theirs.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Defense was abysmal today. But they were great all year. I guarantee you that just about every school in the SEC other than Bama would take our defense over theirs.

We'll agree to disagree. I don't think we've been great all year. You do. We've had good games and horrible games.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
BTW against FSU, we held them to 304 total yards. The only points were scored by the defense. And it wasn't until the 4th quarter after being on the field ALL GAME that Cook finally broke loose for 2 TDs and virtually all of his yards.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
BTW against FSU, we held them to 304 total yards. The only points were scored by the defense. And it wasn't until the 4th quarter after being on the field ALL GAME that Cook finally broke loose for 2 TDs and virtually all of his yards.
I suppose you are going to talk about what a great 2nd half the defense had against LSU as well?

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Don't forget we won the East. Some folks are in for a rude awakening next year. Winning ten really set some unreal expectations next year when the rebuild is really on.

I hear what you're saying, but I think we will be a lot better next year. We may not win 10, but I think the product will be better.

A competent OL and QB will go a long way. Del Rio doesn't need to be a world beater, just needs to be able to hit wide open guys and process what's happening on O (something Treon couldn't do).

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Rank this year:

12 - Ttl yds
6 - yds/game
17 - rushing yds/game
11 - passing yds/game
8 - pts/ game
30 - Ttl interceptions
4 - Sacks

Defensive Efficiency - We rank FIFTH

Team efficiencies are based on the point contributions of each unit to the team's scoring margin, on a per-play basis. The values are adjusted for strength of schedule and down-weighted for "garbage time" (based on win probability). The scale goes from 0 to 100; higher numbers are better and the average is roughly 50 for all categories. Efficiencies update daily during the season.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
They have been spotty this year, but about 115 programs would gladly trade for them if they could. They have also fallen victim to many big plays that were just perfectly placed passes and if just in inch off would have been picks. happend against Bama, FSU and Today. That being said our secondary at times just look lost like they did today and against LSU in the first half.

The last 4 years have essentially been like we were put on heavy probation. Lack of depth at key positions, recruiting players that aren't good enough for the SEC, going 5 star or bust with no backup plan to fill out the classes. Then you add in how bad the product was and the uphill battle to have recruits come here. We showed how we could look with a competent QB, but we all know Treon will never be the answer unless as an emergency. This is going to take time and 10 wins honestly is going to be a curse for Mac now if he falls back a little while building. We essentially got rid of the cancer with an operation last year and are on the road to recovery, but it will still take us time to be back to 100%.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Harris threw for 28 yards in the 2nd half of today's game. Awesome.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Rank this year:

12 - Ttl yds
6 - yds/game
17 - rushing yds/game
11 - passing yds/game
8 - pts/ game
30 - Ttl interceptions
4 - Sacks

Defensive Efficiency - We rank FIFTH

I'm not sure what site you are using but here's ESPN's stats

12 - Total Defense
22 - Rushing yds/game
20 - Passing yds/game
32 - Total Interceptions
5 - Efficiency

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Actually, let's take a look and see what kind of Offenses our "Elite" defense played this year:

Total Offense:
New Mexico St. (59th)
East Carolina (70th)
Kentucky (95th)
Tennessee (66th)
Ole Miss (22nd)
Missouri (125th)
LSU (55th)
Georgia (87th)
Vandy (120th)
USCe (102nd)
FAU (92nd)
FSU (42nd)
Bama (29th)
Michigan (82nd)

Average: 75th

Offensive Efficiency:
New Mexico St. (88th)
East Carolina (NR)
Kentucky (68th)
Tennessee (22nd)
Ole Miss (6th)
Missouri (112th)
LSU (16th)
Georgia (53rd)
Vandy (106th)
USCe (55th)
FAU (116th)
FSU (20th)
Bama (18th)
Michigan (37th)

Average: 50th

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good point NV, I hope we don't play those guys again.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
  1. This defense was not elite today.
  2. I never want to hear DBU again.
  3. LB depth has got to be addressed.
  4. VH3 is overrated.
  5. Leadership seems to be an issue. While the crappy offense often led to the defense shutting down, I'm not sure it was always fatigue. I think they sometimes just quit. They certainly did yesterday.
  6. Overall, we have some elite players on defense, but I can't call our defense elite.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Our defense was horrible for the majority of LSU, FSU, Bama and the Bowl game. Other than those 4 games, yeah we were stellar.
Great point NV. Some of this is due to lack of quality LBer's which we all knew going into this season. Davis and Morrison should not be playing in the middle of the field at their size but they did the best they could. What we really need is a couple of 245-265# beast in the middle. And for god sakes if Macmillan and Rolin show up next year looking all of 195# soaking wet please tell them to leave or take a medical redshirt for anorexia nervosa.....Some of our players should be an embarrassment to the strength and training coaches at a major program like UF....

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Concete's solution to everything in life:
Get bigger.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member