2016 Defense

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
We were abysmal today. But one game doesn't define an entire season. Our defense has been
stellar all year.

Harris played like garbage again and our defense just decided to not show up. They just didn't care about the bowl game. It happens.

+1

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Actually, let's take a look and see what kind of Offenses our "Elite" defense played this year:

Total Offense:
New Mexico St. (59th)
East Carolina (70th)
Kentucky (95th)
Tennessee (66th)
Ole Miss (22nd)
Missouri (125th)
LSU (55th)
Georgia (87th)
Vandy (120th)
USCe (102nd)
FAU (92nd)
FSU (42nd)
Bama (29th)
Michigan (82nd)

Average: 75th

Offensive Efficiency:
New Mexico St. (88th)
East Carolina (NR)
Kentucky (68th)
Tennessee (22nd)
Ole Miss (6th)
Missouri (112th)
LSU (16th)
Georgia (53rd)
Vandy (106th)
USCe (55th)
FAU (116th)
FSU (20th)
Bama (18th)
Michigan (37th)

Average: 50th

I'm really not trying to pick on you NV. You know we're boys. But this means absolutely nothing. You can only play the schedule that you have. We knew going into this year that the East was going to be garbage. Now I haven't looked at Bama's schedule but we have a lot of common opponents this year. And Bama by the eye test has the best defense in the nation.

I may be wrong, but I'm sure if you did this exact exercise with Bama's schedule you would have almost the same outcome. Maybe even worse for them because they played our offense.

Statistically, our defense got worse throughout the season as our offense completely tanked and could not hold onto the ball or score. In one of the last few games I think we had several starting defensive lineman out. I cannot find any statistics by quarter but I am sure that if you looked at the games by quarter breakdown you would see that our defense was stellar for about three quarters. Our offense at one point had not scored for something like 6 or 7 quarters.

The bowl game was an abject disaster on defense. I don't think that anybody is disputing that. It reminded me a lot of the games in 2007.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:ohnoez: We suck again.

New Year, new hope. Land some studs NSD, win the east again, year 3 is when Mac needs pull it all together.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I hear what you're saying, but I think we will be a lot better next year. We may not win 10, but I think the product will be better.

A competent OL and QB will go a long way. Del Rio doesn't need to be a world beater, just needs to be able to hit wide open guys and process what's happening on O (something Treon couldn't do).

Indeed. We could be 8-4 or 9-3 and a much better all around squad, and people will want Mac fired. Seems like our fanbase has a corner on those completely ate up with a permanent case of the dumbass.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm really not trying to pick on you NV. You know we're boys. But this means absolutely nothing. You can only play the schedule that you have. We knew going into this year that the East was going to be garbage. Now I haven't looked at Bama's schedule but we have a lot of common opponents this year. And Bama by the eye test has the best defense in the nation.

I may be wrong, but I'm sure if you did this exact exercise with Bama's schedule you would have almost the same outcome. Maybe even worse for them because they played our offense.

Statistically, our defense got worse throughout the season as our offense completely tanked and could not hold onto the ball or score. In one of the last few games I think we had several starting defensive lineman out. I cannot find any statistics by quarter but I am sure that if you looked at the games by quarter breakdown you would see that our defense was stellar for about three quarters. Our offense at one point had not scored for something like 6 or 7 quarters.

The bowl game was an abject disaster on defense. I don't think that anybody is disputing that. It reminded me a lot of the games in 2007.

You're my favorite poster J and you know I love you but I'm not sure how you can say those stats mean absolutely nothing? Of course we can't help who we play, but our level of competition would have something to do with whether our Defense is considered Elite. If we played in the Mountain West and their teams schedules, and ranked 5th in the Nation, would you still consider our defense elite? No, you wouldn't and that would be because we didn't play anyone.

I agree that our defense gave up later in games and later in the year but the argument could also be that they simply wore down. It's what happens to defenses normally throughout games especially when they face a tough Running Back. And speaking of Running Backs, it's clear we struggled with the good ones because of our LB issue. Any team that had a decent RB we couldn't stop. Hell, Vandy's RB ran all over us and if Chubb would have been healthy I guarantee we would have lost that game. Once a QB got the courage to test VHIII, he got burnt many times. Sorry, but I don't think that's Elite.

To your question, here's Bama's Rankings. While they did play an FCS Team they still played a few tougher teams in the West like Arky and MSU.

Total Offense:
Wisky (72nd)
Mid. Tenn. (31st)
Ole Miss (22nd)
Louis. Mon. (115th)
Georgia (87th)
Arky (50th)
Texas A&M (47th)
Tenn. (66th)
LSU (55th)
Miss. St. (30th)
Charleston Southern (FCS)
Auburn (79th)
Florida (82nd)
Mich. St. (53rd)

Average: 61st

Offense Efficiency:
Wisky (50th)
Mid. Tenn. (48th)
Ole Miss (6th)
U. Lous. Mon. (124th)
Georgia (53rd)
Arky (1st)
Texas A&M (62nd)
Tenn. (22nd)
LSU (16th)
Miss. St. (15th)
Charleston Southern (FCS)
Auburn (40th)
Florida (71st)
Mich. St. (27th)

Average: 41st

601Gator

Aug 10, 2014
I am more worried about the Defensive scheme of Collins than the lack of talent at places. Still don't know whey the hell he is playing so much zone when we have 3 corners that can play man to man.

This this this. What happened to when he was first hired and all we heard is we were running the exact same D from last year and Collins learned our language? I've never seen a UF team run as many stunts up front as we did this year. Bullard was straight whipping his man every play, yet we kept running the stunts. It was asinine.
Maybe I'm being unreasonable but I kind of wish UCF would have given him the call.

Anyway, in 2016 if Neal stays, I think for the most part we will be fine. Gardner will come in and start day 1 IMO and Reese will have an impact as well. As far as our DL, Brantley's first step is insane so he will account for some attention in the middle, and Cox will be better as well. So Brantley, Cox, Cece, and Clayton will play right away and we will be fine there. Our biggest issue will be LB like many have stated. Lord knows Davis coming back was as huge as it gets.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
To me, Washington's play at the end of the year was much improved. Not sure if he was injured toward the end or not. I think he could work out if he continues his improvement over the off-season. Not sure why we play Maye and Neal, they are pretty much the same player.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I do like the bad attitude Neal brings to his tackles though, but see the point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator