2017 Unit Rankings

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
We have one single WR who has done anything in the SEC. Beyond that all we have is hopes and prayers, just like we did for that mega "we just fixed the passing game" WR class four years ago.

I appreciate you answering for MJM, it's cute really.

It's quite obvious to most (including the great Phil Steele) that we have a lot of talent at WR. Do you even watch the games? Our issues stem from OL and QB bud. Thought a "guru" such as yourself would be able to see that :scratchchin:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We have one single WR who has done anything in the SEC. Beyond that all we have is hopes and prayers, just like we did for that mega "we just fixed the passing game" WR class four years ago.

Well I think there is a lot of potential for them if Cleveland takes a big step forward while that great WR class of Muschamp's were busts of epic proportions except for Robinson. Hard to believe Rivals had Bailey the # 7 WR in the country and how much of a bust Fulwood was. You are right however it doesn't mean anything until it happens.

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
Yeah, those broken tackles sure lit up the scoreboard. Stats like those are worthless. Our rushing attack sucked.
WORST
IN
THE
LEAGUE
I have to agree w Jay here. If our OL can get a hat on the defenders in 2nd level (LB's). Then our RB's (who are top notch guys) makes a DB miss or breaks a DB tackle we are looking at big explosive plays.

Look the offense needs a capable QB, a better OL unit overall and consistent first down. Get first downs and you sustain drives which equal more scoring opportunities.

We don't need Joe Montana, we need consistent OL play. AJ McCarron wasn't great. He was consistent!

Only time will tell and I can't wait!

Go Gators!!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well I think there is a lot of potential
I do too, but it's potential which by definition means they haven't do squat yet. We have had potential for a decade, but each class of 4 star receivers have fizzled out.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I have to agree w Jay here. If our OL can get a hat on the defenders
What do you think the likelihood is that OL who couldn't block walkons and freshmen in the O&B are going to develop into a strong OL by fall?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Chicken or egg in reality. If we had a QB who can make the defense respect a passing game our guys could be top 5 in both WR and RB groups. A balanced offense would make them both look better. One thing our RB's could really improve on is protection on passing plays. I do find it kind of silly that our WR's are ranked #1 knowing our QB situation.....If RB's can't shine without an Oline then how can the WR's produce without getting the ball thrown to them?

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Phil Steele unit rankings on Florida:

- #4 WR
- #7 DB
- #4 Special Teams
- #8 DL
- #24 OL
- #27 LB
- #18 RB

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
What do you think the likelihood is that OL who couldn't block walkons and freshmen in the O&B are going to develop into a strong OL by fall?

I share your skepticism because it was bad. I agree I will wait to see what Davis does after he's had these kids for a whole fall camp. Lets see if he can coach all the Summers out of them.

Another question mark is where does Antonio Riles fit into our OL/DL scheme also.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Phil Steele unit rankings on Florida:

- #4 WR
- #7 DB
- #4 Special Teams
- #8 DL
- #24 OL
- #27 LB
- #18 RB

I would be shocked if production matches the rankings on that stuff as far as offense goes. Heck I saw where some place had Auburn projected to be the worst WR group in the SEC but after watching that QB I would be surprised if they arent top 5 in passing yards.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That was my first question after seeing this thread. What are we ranked with QBs? Dead last?
I wouldn't be surprised. I'm also surprised our LBs are ranked that high.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/jim-mcelwain-and-the-deception-offense

I hope those rankings don't end up like this article from 2016

"McElwain gets more creative than deceptive in the red zone.

To combat this, McElwain got creative, introducing Wildcat formations, unbalanced lines, jet sweeps, additional lineman, increased tempo and defensive linemen as fullbacks.

It’s another example of matchup football and creating confusion"

"In many ways, this formation is a microcosm of McElwain’s offense — old-school football mixed with a dash of deception and creativity. Although it doesn’t score the same style points as the offenses run by Gus Malzahn or Kevin Sumlin, it is every bit as impressive.

Indeed, if you asked me to name the best offensive coach in the SEC today, it would be hard to look past McElwain and his deception-based unit."

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/jim-mcelwain-and-the-deception-offense

I hope those rankings don't end up like this article from 2016

"McElwain gets more creative than deceptive in the red zone.

To combat this, McElwain got creative, introducing Wildcat formations, unbalanced lines, jet sweeps, additional lineman, increased tempo and defensive linemen as fullbacks.

It’s another example of matchup football and creating confusion"

"In many ways, this formation is a microcosm of McElwain’s offense — old-school football mixed with a dash of deception and creativity. Although it doesn’t score the same style points as the offenses run by Gus Malzahn or Kevin Sumlin, it is every bit as impressive.

Indeed, if you asked me to name the best offensive coach in the SEC today, it would be hard to look past McElwain and his deception-based unit."

Yeah, that worked out real well. But is it surprising? Our red-zone offense is bad....our 1st down offense is bad....our third down conversion rate is bad....our scoring offense is bad.....our total offense is bad....our RBs are last in rushing....our OL stinks.....our QB play is atrocious....and yet, he keeps the OC and TE's coach.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
200w.webp

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.