Recruiting 2019 NSD: 4* DE Khris Bogle and 4* CB Elam signs

CHAMPIONSHIP: If you were forced to have dinner with one of these members, who would you choose?

• Swamp Donkey

• Swamp Queen

• Durty South Swamp

• dubster1

• BNAG8R

Results are only viewable after voting.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
On the 247 class ratings, if you take the AVERAGE grade of a recruit class and multiply it by the number of recruits you get a number different sometime drastically different than the total number 247 has for the class.

For example Oregon is listed as having 269.66 points on 247. They have 20 commits with an average rating of 91.54. Clearly 20 time 91.54 equals 1,830.8. So the discounting from the highest ranked player goes into the total points they use for ranking but not into the average for a class.

This discounting of larger class size has often been done in some ad hoc way in the past. At one time one service only counted your highest rated 13 or 15 signees to rate your class. The idea behind these kinds of ratings is that not every player will contribute and the higher rated players are more likely to contribute.

I am not sure bias is the right technical word to use about what 247 is doing. It is more discounting subsequent players. I remember a year back in the 1980s when UF signed 4 QBs that puffed up UF's class. The 247 system would limit that to some extent.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not only that but at least the 247 rating as explained by the one of the 247 folks here:

is biased towards the highly rated prospects even beyond their numerical value. They base the top prospects upward and the lower ones downwards:

"Your highest ranked recruits in a class are rewarded more points than those at the bottom. Top gives 100%, next highest just under 100% all the way down the final recruit in the class only giving a very small percentage of the score.

USC has 3 recruits inside the Top 200. UF only has 2. It's the bottom end of USC's class that causes their average grade per commit to be lower with a prospects with an 84 and 83 grades.

Long version....

Each recruit is weighted in the rankings according to a GAUSSIAN DISTRIBUTION FORMULA (a bell curve), where a team's best recruit is worth the most points. You can think of a team's point score as being the sum of ratings of all the team's commits where the best recruit is worth 100% of his rating value, the second best recruit is worth nearly 100% of his rating value, down to the last recruit who is worth a small fraction of his rating value. This formula ensures that all commits contribute at least some value to the team's score without heavily rewarding teams that have several more commitments than others.
Readers familiar with the Gaussian distribution formula will note that we use a varying value for s based on the standard deviation for the total number of commits between schools for the given sport. This STANDARD DEVIATION creates a bell curve with an inflection point near the average number of players recruited per team.
Below is a graphical representation of how our formula works. You can see that the area under the curve gets smaller both as the rating for a commit decreases and as the number of total commits for a school increases. The y-axis in this graph represents the percentage weight of the score that gets applied to an overall team ranking."

:jerkit:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He has 7 blue chips and is ranked 28th. Still needs to jump at least 20 spots, but it's a good get.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Diwun Black has moved to Kissimmee for his final year but isn't playing football this year...curious move and hopefully this is just to concentrate fully on his academics

leogator

May 5, 2018
For me at some point or another you have to take into account how well you met your needs. If you need 3 linebackers and 5 OL and instead you get 5 LB and 3 OL, you obviously have not met your needs.

I also want the services to go back and reevaluate the class 1, 2, 3 years down the road to see where they went wrong and why. I'd like more emphasis being put on game performance in HS with some adjustment on level of competition. For example if you're a 290 OL and all the DL are 210 then I would look at other things like how well do you move your feet, your pad level, ability to withstand speed rushes. If you go to camps then I want to see how well you do against bigger DL. I just don't think the services have the time to look at game film and not just highlights.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Diwun Black has had some grade concerns, so him concentrating on his grades is probably wise.

And it’s a Florida high school not that far from Gville...allows him to be around the program and for the coaches to make sure he gets qualified...might be a tad shady but **** it

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
“I really like everything about Florida,” Diabate said after that trip to Gainesville in July. “I like the campus and it’s very beautiful and they have a great academic center for the athlete and the coaches are really nice and great people and you can tell they know their stuff and care for their players. The town is kind of like a city and a town and I really like being there.”

Hmm. Well, I guess if you're from Pahokee or Belle Glade, Gainesville's kind of like a city. If you're from Miami, it's definitely a town.

Yes but he decided to come here and not the U.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
“I really like everything about Florida,” Diabate said after that trip to Gainesville in July. “I like the campus and it’s very beautiful and they have a great academic center for the athlete and the coaches are really nice and great people and you can tell they know their stuff and care for their players. The town is kind of like a city and a town and I really like being there.”

Hmm. Well, I guess if you're from Pahokee or Belle Glade, Gainesville's kind of like a city. If you're from Miami, it's definitely a town.[/QUOTE

I have lived in Gville for 33years. Yeah it's still small compared to Miami or Tampa. But over the last 10 years or so it has grown so much. It's not a sleepy town that shuts completely down in summer anymore. Butler is 10 times the size it used to be. The west side keeps expanding further towards newberry. It's definitely way bigger in the last 10 years.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
Diwun Black has moved to Kissimmee for his final year but isn't playing football this year...curious move and hopefully this is just to concentrate fully on his academics
Maybe needs some courses to meet UF entrance requirements an/or get enough credits to graduate in December? Possibly his present school does't have early graduation?

Just some thoughts

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
All sites ratings are skewed somewhat and there are politics being played on kids who attend or don't attend certain camps. A better way is to look at their legit offer lists and top 3-5 schools they are actually officially visiting. If those schools are places like Bama, uga, Clemson, fsu, auburn, osu, etc then you know that kid can flat out play...if they are visiting ucf, usf, vandy, fiu, fau, or some other **** school then we are reaching...

Very true.

Recruiting rankings originally grew out of exactly that type of analysis. If UF, F$U & scUM were after a kid he was a blue chip. Today, national rankings are very much affected by whom Bama, OSU and other top programs are chasing. I don’t think most of the collegiate press are qualified talent evaluators.

I really appreciate the members of this board that dig deep into that world & report to us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator