Recruiting 2019 recruiting still Butterslike, #17 class

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
'Ol Bushmaster and Fever are really stoking their Zook love about now, like he was the only coach who could have stockpiled talent at UF. Puh-leeze.

:lol: My main point with that usually is it explains why Spurrier won less than 40% of his games against FSU/Bowden. We damn sure know it wasn't due to the coaching.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
All discussions about former coaches aside: Mullen is not really impressing on the recruiting side. It's extremely concerning that schools like Tennessee and Arkansas are ranked ahead of us--with neither being nationally relevant in almost 2 decades.

Despite sucking azz on offense for most of the last decade: we've had recent trips to the SEC Championship game and a few 10 win seasons in the past 6 years. While we certainly were a long way from being elite in that time span: it's better than many of the other schools ahead of us can say.

Really, Mullen should not be struggling as much as he is: we showed improvements on offense, have a top 10 record in his first year, are a top 10 public academic school, and are closer than most programs are to competing for SEC/national titles. The damn school sells itself there.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
All discussions about former coaches aside: Mullen is not really impressing on the recruiting side. It's extremely concerning that schools like Tennessee and Arkansas are ranked ahead of us--with neither being nationally relevant in almost 2 decades.

Despite sucking azz on offense for most of the last decade: we've had recent trips to the SEC Championship game and a few 10 win seasons in the past 6 years. While we certainly were a long way from being elite in that time span: it's better than many of the other schools ahead of us can say.

Really, Mullen should not be struggling as much as he is: we showed improvements on offense, have a top 10 record in his first year, are a top 10 public academic school, and are closer than most programs are to competing for SEC/national titles. The damn school sells itself there.

How I see it also. A # 15 like class will not cut it - especially when your division rival is recruiting at Bama's level.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
'Ol Bushmaster and Fever are really stoking their Zook love about now, like he was the only coach who could have stockpiled talent at UF. Puh-leeze.

Please quote me where I said that or sell that bull**** to somebody else. It isn't really arguable Zook was one of the best recruiters everywhere while an average coach.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Please quote me where I said that or sell that bull**** to somebody else. It isn't really arguable Zook was one of the best recruiters everywhere while an average coach.
:burn:

Looks like I got Bushmaster's hackles up. I made an assertion that a lot of other coaches could have recruited just as well or better during that time period. You obviously disagree. Life goes on.

I also disagree that he was an "average" coach. He was a BAD coach, with ONE good season out of TEN as a head coach. That's called a fluke.

Let me ask you this: if Zook was our head coach right now, where would our recruiting class rank?

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Do you realize how misleading that stat can be? It doesn't say they were "signed" by Zook, just that they were recruited by him. Considering recruiting starts in some cases as early as 9th-10th grade, he probably recruited half of the 2007 class as well. No one is saying that Zook couldn't recruit. But he was a volume guy that had some very unbalanced classes and left some serious roster holes. I notice it doesn't mention the fact that we were forced to start a grad transfer from Utah and a converted 5th string WR at Corner because of Zook's unbalanced recruiting.

And in the BCS game, of course the lion's share of players were his. But just to put that season into perspective, we don't win the ut game without James, Tebow and RFN. We likely don't win the Lsu game without Smith, Coop, RFN and Tebow. And we don't win the the SECC and/or NC games without Tebow, Harvin, and RFN. All of those names have one thing in common. They were signed by Meyer, not Zook.

Dipstick, if you looked at the quote, it was Urban Meyer saying that, not some dipwad who was on Zook's jock.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
:burn:

Looks like I got Bushmaster's hackles up. I made an assertion that a lot of other coaches could have recruited just as well or better during that time period. You obviously disagree. Life goes on.

I also disagree that he was an "average" coach. He was a BAD coach, with ONE good season out of TEN as a head coach. That's called a fluke.

Let me ask you this: if Zook was our head coach right now, where would our recruiting class rank?

I didn't disagree with that at all. I made no assertion about any other coach.

Whether Zook was an average coach while here really isn't up for debate. In the last 28 years, he ranks right in the middle of coaches we had here, didn't have a losing season, and beat the hell out of our rivals including a win at Ron Zook field, something Spurrier never did. He also beat Saban at Saban's house handing him his only defeat in a NC year for LSU and did it with a true freshman QB.

Not brilliant or even good, but average. He recruited like a maniac at Illinoise too, and turned them around for a few years over what they were. But no where did I say he was good or no other coach couldn't recruit here, but looking at some of Meyer's classes, Chumps, and Jmac, he has done well.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't disagree with that at all. I made no assertion about any other coach.

Whether Zook was an average coach while here really isn't up for debate. In the last 28 years, he ranks right in the middle of coaches we had here, didn't have a losing season, and beat the hell out of our rivals including a win at Ron Zook field, something Spurrier never did. He also beat Saban at Saban's house handing him his only defeat in a NC year for LSU and did it with a true freshman QB.

Not brilliant or even good, but average. He recruited like a maniac at Illinoise too, and turned them around for a few years over what they were. But no where did I say he was good or no other coach couldn't recruit here, but looking at some of Meyer's classes, Chumps, and Jmac, he has done well.
I disagree with every word of this post, but I still want to say I'm a fan of yours and am glad you're here. You just got bonus points for calling our beloved sofla a "dipstick". :lol:

By the way, Zook NEVER EVER EVER would have beaten FSU at Doak during the 90's. Never.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I disagree with every word of this post, but I still want to say I'm a fan of yours and am glad you're here. You just got bonus points for calling our beloved sofla a "dipstick". :lol:

By the way, Zook NEVER EVER EVER would have beaten FSU at Doak during the 90's. Never.
Spurrier couldn't. But he beat the snot out of UGA almost every year and beat them between the hedges by a record amount. FSU is a girls school and not in our league. Just Beat Georgia.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Dipstick, if you looked at the quote, it was Urban Meyer saying that, not some dipwad who was on Zook's jock.

Yeah, that’s not how quotes work. Notice how the quotation marks start at the beginning of the sentence and don’t reappear until the very end? That’s a quote or excerpt from an article. The fact that the statement contains verbiage alluding to Meyer praising Zook’s recruiting efforts, doesn’t mean that the entire quote can or should be attributed to him. Rather, it’s an article intended to show both a measure of facts and imply a position that the author has assumed. I’m sure Meyer issued some type of statement regarding the matter, but that would’ve appeared differently as a direct quote within the article.

Unless of course it’s your contention that Meyer said the entire statement quoted, which would seem odd, as he not only speaks of himself in the third person, but also chooses an odd way of beginning his quote with a timeline recap of the game and ends it with statistics he apparently had all prepared. I’m not normally one to shoot down theories, but I have a hunch that wasn’t the case here.

I know it can get confusing, and I probably seem like a real professional with my breakdown of sentence structure. But I’m actually just the father of a second grader who has some of the confusions at times as well. We’ve found some great resources at his elementary school library that you may want to check out. Best of luck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator