2020 NFL Draft Thread

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Overview
Cleveland came into Florida with some fanfare as one of the top receivers out of Houston, but leaves Florida without enough production. He has adequate hands and solid short-area athleticism underneath, but lacks the burst and physicality needed to open windows and make contested catches. His size is a plus and his effort on special teams could become an important differentiator if he is to make a roster or practice squad.

Strengths
Long, angular frame with plus wingspan
Catches the ball away from his frame
Has feel to leverage coverage away from out-breaking routes in space
Hands were generally reliable in 2019
Big target with quick settle into zone cavities
Uses size to extend yards after catch downfield
Good cover effort as gunner and on kickoffs

Weaknesses
Production fell well short of expectations coming into Florida
Delayed get-off into routes
Deceleration gives away impending comeback
Route breaks lack snap at the top
Movement is too gradual, making him easier to check
Smothered by Auburn's physical cornerbacks
Needs better use of his size to create separation to catch
Lacks long speed to threaten outside

Another report:

Route Running - Separation isn't his strong suit — a lot of his big plays came from free runs through the secondary as compared to snapping off breaks. He knows how to find open grass but his initial burst and speed through the top of routes isn't what you'd expect, he got handled by physical corners too often.

Hands - He's had several instances of strong plays on the football away from his body. Strong hands and didn't let defenders rake through the ball at the catch point. Strong wingspan and notable catch radius at his disposal to contest throws that aren't pinpoint accurate on the numbers.

Contested Catch Skills - High point skills are excellent and he's got great leaping ability to play above the rim. There's a need for this to be a winning area when considering his limitations in polish as a route runner and lack of consistency as a separation receiver. Strong hands & reach.

RAC Ability - His long speed is actually pretty good and he is capable of toeing the sidelines to slip up the field. Able to run through arm challenges and create added yardage with broken tackles but don't expect a lot of lateral quickness to produce results after the catch via broken pursuit angles.

Football IQ - For having 46 games played and 28 starts, you do with he was a more developed route runner. He's been more of a supplemental target but he IS honed on special teams, which is a great boost to his stock and value as a rostered receiver. Needs a lot of work with hand fighting and route breaks.

Vertical Receiving - He's gotten back behind the defense on a number of occasions for big plays. He's less effective when tasked with defeating press coverage early on and will get bottlenecked looking to stack defenders who play him physical on the boundary. Doesn't play to his explosiveness here.

COD Skills - Lacks sharp spring and bounce out of his stem when he's opened his strides and built momentum — slow to gear down and will allow defenders to click and close on his hard angled routes. Twitchy and powerful outside of the first ten yards but largely in straight line scenarios.

Speed - His timed speed was a bit of a surprise but an exciting jolt into his prospects as a developmental receiver. If you can coax that time out of him with his functional play speed, we might have a live one on our hands. That said, he doesn't play to that speed early in reps, which hinders his effectiveness.

Competitive Toughness - He's a tough cover at the catch point and like his willingness to scrap for 50/50 balls in the air. Love that you get kick coverage production out of him as well. At the very worst, he feels like a WR5 who can bring value in the red zone and as a gunner. Play strength is notable and he's capable of boxing out DBs.

Blocking Skills - Play strength is good, shows strong hands and long reach — that's a great start. His lateral slide to slam the door shut and prevent nickel defenders from jumping into the alley isn't ideal but he's very feisty once he gets his hands set on the frame of defenders and is able to mirror.

---

Best Trait - High Point Ability

Worst Trait - Production

Best Film - Florida State (2019)

Worst Film - LSU (2019)

Red Flags - None

Summary - Tyrie Cleveland projects as a developmental WR with the needed physical skills to be an effective possession receiver. Cleveland's lack of production stems in part from some rawness in his route running and in part due to ineffective and inconsistent quarterback play during his time with the Gators. But Cleveland's explosiveness at his size is an enticing quality that will garner consideration late and if he's able to add more polish on routes for separation, he can be a contributor.

The scouts actually like him better than I expected. I found "good hands in 2019" interesting. He has had poor hands all along but I guess they liked him better in 2019. It's just so hard to guage when Gator receivers get no catches and when they do it is probably a screen pass.

Good effort as a gunner. That kind of thing can make you hold a roster, but of course, it also makes you a good defensive back. :)

Im not sure if he gets drafted, I doubt it but I expect him to land on a roster.

Last edited:

theoriginalmadgator

Aug 16, 2019
Overview
Cleveland came into Florida with some fanfare as one of the top receivers out of Houston, but leaves Florida without enough production. He has adequate hands and solid short-area athleticism underneath, but lacks the burst and physicality needed to open windows and make contested catches. His size is a plus and his effort on special teams could become an important differentiator if he is to make a roster or practice squad.

Strengths
Long, angular frame with plus wingspan
Catches the ball away from his frame
Has feel to leverage coverage away from out-breaking routes in space
Hands were generally reliable in 2019
Big target with quick settle into zone cavities
Uses size to extend yards after catch downfield
Good cover effort as gunner and on kickoffs

Weaknesses
Production fell well short of expectations coming into Florida
Delayed get-off into routes
Deceleration gives away impending comeback
Route breaks lack snap at the top
Movement is too gradual, making him easier to check
Smothered by Auburn's physical cornerbacks
Needs better use of his size to create separation to catch
Lacks long speed to threaten outside

Another report:

Route Running - Separation isn't his strong suit — a lot of his big plays came from free runs through the secondary as compared to snapping off breaks. He knows how to find open grass but his initial burst and speed through the top of routes isn't what you'd expect, he got handled by physical corners too often.

Hands - He's had several instances of strong plays on the football away from his body. Strong hands and didn't let defenders rake through the ball at the catch point. Strong wingspan and notable catch radius at his disposal to contest throws that aren't pinpoint accurate on the numbers.

Contested Catch Skills - High point skills are excellent and he's got great leaping ability to play above the rim. There's a need for this to be a winning area when considering his limitations in polish as a route runner and lack of consistency as a separation receiver. Strong hands & reach.

RAC Ability - His long speed is actually pretty good and he is capable of toeing the sidelines to slip up the field. Able to run through arm challenges and create added yardage with broken tackles but don't expect a lot of lateral quickness to produce results after the catch via broken pursuit angles.

Football IQ - For having 46 games played and 28 starts, you do with he was a more developed route runner. He's been more of a supplemental target but he IS honed on special teams, which is a great boost to his stock and value as a rostered receiver. Needs a lot of work with hand fighting and route breaks.

Vertical Receiving - He's gotten back behind the defense on a number of occasions for big plays. He's less effective when tasked with defeating press coverage early on and will get bottlenecked looking to stack defenders who play him physical on the boundary. Doesn't play to his explosiveness here.

COD Skills - Lacks sharp spring and bounce out of his stem when he's opened his strides and built momentum — slow to gear down and will allow defenders to click and close on his hard angled routes. Twitchy and powerful outside of the first ten yards but largely in straight line scenarios.

Speed - His timed speed was a bit of a surprise but an exciting jolt into his prospects as a developmental receiver. If you can coax that time out of him with his functional play speed, we might have a live one on our hands. That said, he doesn't play to that speed early in reps, which hinders his effectiveness.

Competitive Toughness - He's a tough cover at the catch point and like his willingness to scrap for 50/50 balls in the air. Love that you get kick coverage production out of him as well. At the very worst, he feels like a WR5 who can bring value in the red zone and as a gunner. Play strength is notable and he's capable of boxing out DBs.

Blocking Skills - Play strength is good, shows strong hands and long reach — that's a great start. His lateral slide to slam the door shut and prevent nickel defenders from jumping into the alley isn't ideal but he's very feisty once he gets his hands set on the frame of defenders and is able to mirror.

---

Best Trait - High Point Ability

Worst Trait - Production

Best Film - Florida State (2019)

Worst Film - LSU (2019)

Red Flags - None

Summary - Tyrie Cleveland projects as a developmental WR with the needed physical skills to be an effective possession receiver. Cleveland's lack of production stems in part from some rawness in his route running and in part due to ineffective and inconsistent quarterback play during his time with the Gators. But Cleveland's explosiveness at his size is an enticing quality that will garner consideration late and if he's able to add more polish on routes for separation, he can be a contributor.

The scouts actually like him better than I expected. I found "good hands in 2019" interesting. He has had poor hands all along but I guess they liked him better in 2019. It's just so hard to guage when Gator receivers get no catches and when they do it is probably a screen pass.

Good effort as a gunner. That kind of thing can make you hold a roster, but of course, it also makes you a good defensive back. :)

6'4 with a sub-4.5 timed speed to go along with a good attitude and blocker goes a long way with the NFL guys. David Nelson comes immediately to mind but I think Cleveland has more physical potential. He'll be a good 6th-7th rounder

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
  • TYRIE CLEVELANDWR, FLORIDA GATORS

Florida WR Tyrie Cleveland ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.
    Cleveland (6'2/209) came through with a respectable time on Thursday, but that run alone probably won't do a ton to turbocharge his stock. The Florida wideout never produced on the field to the hype he received coming out of high school, with his top season in Gainesville going for just 410 yards receiving.

SOURCE: NFL.com
    Feb 27, 2020, 7:46 PM ET

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein writes that Florida WR Freddie Swain is a "freestyle route runner."
Being a "freestyler" can be considered a good thing in many forms, like jazz and hip-hop. It's probably not a compliment to a wideout. "Swain is a freestyle route runner with a lack of attention to detail and an addiction to a skip-stutter that is both predictable and inefficient," Zierlein writes. He does note that the 6-foot, 197-pound wideout offers good size and speed from the slot, and he showed reliable hands over his two seasons with the Gators. "When his punt-return talent is added to the mix," Zierlein writes in his summary, "there are enough checkmarks to believe Swain has a shot to be a Day 3 selection and a player who can win a roster spot at some point."

That's all I can find for Swain.

Any of you still want to argue that Mullinz garbage 500 yards for his receivers doesn't affect their draft stock?

It doesn't really matter if you do, the recruits know it does, and that is why receivers have always avoided his stupid azz like the plague since 2007 or so.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Guys who will get drafted
Henderson
Jefferson
Greenard
Zuniga

Those are really the only definites
I do think that Cleveland will not only get drafted but will have a nice career
Perine is an interesting 5th-7th round possibility but he may go undrafted
Same with Swain
Townsend is another guy that COULD get picked

But yes, I believe that the under is the safer play
I like Perine's chances for the reasons stated previously.

theoriginalmadgator

Aug 16, 2019
I like Perine's chances for the reasons stated previously.

His times were on the low side of average range....4.62 40 is not good for a small RB and his 3 cone at 7.13 was also well below what they're looking for out of RB.

His game film is strong though which may help this year without all the pro-days.....but normally those times would not a RB drafted.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
a guy that went from being discussed as the #1 overall pick last year to most likely a second rounder (maybe third) is quite a fall. Should've declared last year....

Last year the guy who was going to be number 1 overall was Herbert from Oregon, and he will still be in the top 15.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
a guy that went from being discussed as the #1 overall pick last year to most likely a second rounder (maybe third) is quite a fall. Should've declared last year....

He was never going to be a first round pick because he isn't talented at all. His severe lack of arm strength is what is really killing him. According to scouts, it is even worse than expected. His combine was not pretty. That is why he has fallen.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Reading through "The Athletic" and their pre-draft coverage. According to a few of their draft writers, Perine only scored an 8 on the Wonderlic. To me, so what. The bad part is, he was a very poor interview at the combine.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He was never going to be a first round pick because he isn't talented at all. His severe lack of arm strength is what is really killing him. According to scouts, it is even worse than expected. His combine was not pretty. That is why he has fallen.

His got a decent football iq, probably stick around in the league as a backup. It's still a nice paycheck

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
CJ will go first round. Jefferson 3-4. Zuniga and Grenard by the 4th. Perine between 4-6. The rest of Cleveland, Swain, Hammond etc will be between 6-UDFA. I think Hammond has the worst chance due to be skipped over for the combine invite.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
His ability in the passing game is what will give him a good career. Very few backs can catch as well as Perine can.
Seems to be a "nose to the grindstone" kind of guy, too. He'd be a solid pick for any team.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Reading through "The Athletic" and their pre-draft coverage. According to a few of their draft writers, Perine only scored an 8 on the Wonderlic. To me, so what. The bad part is, he was a very poor interview at the combine.
Having a poor interview is really a bad reflection on the program. Does the staff not assist with this process? Do they not do practice interviews and interview coaching? Hell, the UF career center has a whole process for the rest of the students that is pretty good from what I understand. I agree on the Wonderlic. For a running back, who cares, right?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Having a poor interview is really a bad reflection on the program. Does the staff not assist with this process? Do they not do practice interviews and interview coaching? Hell, the UF career center has a whole process for the rest of the students that is pretty good from what I understand. I agree on the Wonderlic. For a running back, who cares, right?

Terry Jackson used to help the kids during the Meyer years prepare for the interviews and working with the media. I don't know who is doing that now.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

I'd put this under: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Or, he's simply a bad interview. Many of these kids have never sat through an interview and likely get nervous.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I'm rooting for Cleve. The guy bought in and did tough schit. All that stuff on film will only help him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator