Status
Not open for further replies.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Really hope we can pull this kid from SC:

According to Higdon he could not call up the staff and commit right now (as of a couple days ago) there are others ahead of him. I’d imagine if we lose Braun to uga which seems likely then this may change

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
The recruiting rankings on Issiah Walker are interesting.

247 composite - 170 national, 15th OT

247 - 69 national, 8th OT

Rivals - No national ranking, 33rd OT (borderline 3-4 star)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We should take Walker if he is ready. Borderline 3/4 star is pretty much where we live now anyway. That is probably 90% of our 4 stars. There are no better options available to us, so why constantly insult the kids who want to be Gators, them end upntaking a plan D when our plan B or C goes eleswhere?

We arent landing 5 stars or high 4 star kids. We just arent. That isnt going to chamge unless our staff does.

Braun isnt interested. If he changes his mind maybe take an extra tackle. I dont think there is much if a chance. If the Braun boys wanted to stay close to home then one isnt going to Texass. Hell in every picture of lil Braun at UF he looked totally disinterested.

Last edited:

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
247 has Walker (8) ranked 13 spots higher than Braun (21).

Rivals has Braun ranked 10 spots higher.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
According to Higdon he could not call up the staff and commit right now (as of a couple days ago) there are others ahead of him. I’d imagine if we lose Braun to uga which seems likely then this may change

Thanks The Dude. Imo, that's pretty silly (for our staff) to do. Take him now! I haven't seen many OL's beating down our doors.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
No, they brought Slaton in on third and short, fourth and short, or goal line to actually play tackle like a real tackle and he tears shyt up. Even in the spring game, they always gave the center help when TJ Slaton is on the field. In real games, sometimes he gets three. Making tackles or not swallowing up two or three blockers is terribly disruptive to an offense.

It shouldn't take a lot of X's and O's to understand this.

They take him out on other plays bc they don't give a damn about run defense and want a "tackle" (really a DE) who can line up on the center then loop around to the C gap (around the offensive tackle) or even drop back into coverage. Ancrum was dropping back in the spring game a few plays I noticed.

We really play two DEs and two outside linebackers on our defensive line.We will always be a 40th- 50th ranked run defense playing this scheme.

FYI Shuler and Campbell didn't play well. We had a 40th ranked run defense. Much of that was on the DTs, some was on the LBs. But to be fair, Campbell should be an SDE or DT, not NT and Shuler is an OLB or WDE, not a DT. It's not their fault they are being played out of position.
I knew you would come up with multiple excuses for Slatons play, but he just plain out sucked early in the season. I had high hopes for him and still do. I focused on him in the Kentucky game and we were gashed every single play he was on the field and to top it off when he came to the sidelines (my seats are 9 rows up with the dline right in front of me) every other player on the field was letting him know he was blowing his assignment, but he was having no part of it. He truly believed everyone was wrong but him. Then Sunseri would give him some one on one time and kid wouldn't even make eye contact with the coach.

Like I said, there was improvement later in the year, but to blame the coaches for what should be a stud player being a hot mess is off the mark.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You admitted you're not an X's and O's guys and you should have stuck with that.

Itraz has already showed you that Slaton grades out the best on DL according to NFL.... that too should tell you that your opinion is ridiculous.

The reason we got gashed it Kentucky was mostly because of atrocious linebacker play which continued throughout the season, though Reece was a big improvement at one position.

Frankly the one guy who screwed up the most and cost us the most yards on the ground was consistent throughout the year, Vosean Joseph. If he was where he was supposed to be it was luck.

Spend a little time reading his NFL scouting report and tell me.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
You admitted you're not an X's and O's guys and you should have stuck with that.

Itraz has already showed you that Slaton grades out the best on DL according to NFL.... that too should tell you that your opinion is ridiculous.

The reason we got gashed it Kentucky was mostly because of atrocious linebacker play which continued throughout the season, though Reece was a big improvement at one position.

Frankly the one guy who screwed up the most and cost us the most yards on the ground was consistent throughout the year, Vosean Joseph. If he was where he was supposed to be it was luck.

Spend a little time reading his NFL scouting report and tell me.
So Slaton was benched for the entire middle portion of the season despite being our best dlinemen. I guess I know less about the game than I thought I did.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So Slaton was benched for the entire middle portion of the season despite being our best dlinemen. I guess I know less about the game than I thought I did.
Just because Grantham is flashy, doesn’t mean he’s effective. Doing better than Shannon isn’t a big accomplishment

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

I think Slaton will come around this year as the #3 in the rotation. He had a productive spring (albeit against our weak OL) and got a lot of praise from the beat writers. I think he'll see 25+ snaps/game this year and could get a few starts.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Mullen seems to disagree with you and Itraz about Slaton. This applies to Conliffe as well.

Fast forward just a few weeks and by Game 3, both Conliffe and Slaton had been yanked from the starting lineup. They barely played over the next few weeks (Because they were terrible).

"Obviously you’re looking at guys like a T.J. Slaton and an Elijah Conliffe, got to pick up their performance (it sucked which is why they were benched) to create that depth (which we don't have because they were awful) on the team," coach Dan Mullen said. "We need those guys to come in and be dependable (they aren't) players, to come in and be able to play 30 to 40 plays in a game and have the trust (which the coaches don't have in them because of their poor play) that they’re going to be able to go in and do that and perform at a high level." ~ Thomas Goldkamp "Conliffe, Slaton looking to bounce back after disappointing season"

I'll go with the head coach's assessment over message board guys.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If there is one thing I do, it’s believe every single word a football coach says....especially in the offseason

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
If there is one thing I do, it’s believe every single word a football coach says....especially in the offseason

Those quotes are from after the Kentucky game last season....not this spring. I'll agree w/ him that Slaton & Conliffe stunk it up, that's why Kentucky ran all over us (one of the reasons at least). The d-line seemed to settle down a bit once Shuler & Campbell moved into the starting lineup. I think Slaton & Conliffe both got humbled by their benchings and they seemed to have a good spring (by seemed, I'm talking about from reports). Another year in the weight room and solid coaching can't hurt either. I've also read a suggestion that - if possible - Conliffe might only play 4 games and take a redshirt (this was just speculation on another board - but would be a good idea if he's okay w/ it...and we don't need him due to injury).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator