Status
Not open for further replies.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Better because the recruiting services say he is? Obviously our staff does not go by the recruiting services evaluations and are not in the least interested in the mythical recruiting championship.
the old trust the coaches refrain. gotta love it.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
the old trust the coaches refrain. gotta love it.

Well:

1. Coaches are risking seven figure salaries so when they take a guy early, it must mean their evaluation is that he is worth spending a scholarship on.

2. I personally like getting a guy who thinks he has something to prove as a UF recruit compared to someone from say California who thinks UF owes him big time and he can skate on his "talent."

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
But some kids are just better, are game changers, and could run pretty much any system. Not alot of those in the field though.
Those are typically kids ranked in the top 50-75 players nationally.....I was willing to give Mullen a 2 year "wait till next year" because I didn't believe we would have a 10 win season last year....I'm on board because of last season.....BUT IMO he is pissing away a golden opportunity to capitalize on those good fortunes.

There is simply no way in hell that a UF team coming off a 10 win season and including a 4 game winning streak with BLOWOUT wins over an in state rival and a historically giant program like Michigan should NOT end up with at least 6 or 7 top 100(nationally) players committed by Summers end....we'll see I guess.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
He is also more wedge shaped than the skinnies we have been landing. Certainly looks like a future MLB than me.

Some kids just dont develop. And there will always be that risk but hoping a safety grows into an MLB and develops the instincts is a poor (primary) plan longterm.
He looks to have thick joints(shoulders, elbows and knees) which is a tried and true way of telling a persons potential for gaining healthy weight....Once he is run through some programs of squats and deadlifts a kid his age can put on 15-20 # in 6 month's as long as they're hitting the chow hall hard....I believe Jelani Jenkins was about 205# when he arrived and turned into a 235-240# beast who could play on the inside and outside(coverage). Might be an unfair comparison but this guy Wingo looks the part.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
....I believe Jelani Jenkins was about 205# when he arrived and turned into a 235-240# beast who could play on the inside and outside(coverage). Might be an unfair comparison but this guy Wingo looks the part.
Its a nice comparison. Think Jelani was 16 when he committed (very early back then) and 17 when he got on campus bc he graduated a year early.

Now I guess 16 sophs and 17 yo juniors committing is the standard, but it takes a lot more luck guessing who will develop as seniors. If you recall, Saban was adamantly against the ESD bc it kept him from assessing kids as seniors and swooping in late in the process to steal kids. Probably Butters thought that would work for him too, you know since he was Saban 2.0.

Last edited:

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
I’m not sure if this has been posted but this is the free article about Wingos decision explained by his mother. Great insight into how Florida won over a family of Noles

The Inside Scoop: A behind the scenes look at how Florida flipped four-star Wingo

"The entire staff was extremely respectful to the fact that Derek was committed and never forced anything on us or gave us any information that we did not ask for. They never compared the schools or even brought Penn State up. That was very impressive too me. I have spoken to so many schools and they always focus on what they could offer that another school couldn’t or why they were better. Coach Mullen and his staff never even brought up PSU, they only spoke about Florida and what they offered as a whole. In the beginning I was just waiting for “you should choose us over PSU because.....” but it never came, it was only pure transparency about every aspect and that we should make the best decision for Derek and our family. The Florida staff handled the process with nothing but respect for everyone involved and with pure class!"

Great read.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
He looks to have thick joints(shoulders, elbows and knees) which is a tried and true way of telling a persons potential for gaining healthy weight....Once he is run through some programs of squats and deadlifts a kid his age can put on 15-20 # in 6 month's as long as they're hitting the chow hall hard....I believe Jelani Jenkins was about 205# when he arrived and turned into a 235-240# beast who could play on the inside and outside(coverage). Might be an unfair comparison but this guy Wingo looks the part.
I'd take another JJ minus the off-field stuff right F'n now.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Those are typically kids ranked in the top 50-75 players nationally.....I was willing to give Mullen a 2 year "wait till next year" because I didn't believe we would have a 10 win season last year....I'm on board because of last season.....BUT IMO he is pissing away a golden opportunity to capitalize on those good fortunes.

There is simply no way in hell that a UF team coming off a 10 win season and including a 4 game winning streak with BLOWOUT wins over an in state rival and a historically giant program like Michigan should NOT end up with at least 6 or 7 top 100(nationally) players committed by Summers end....we'll see I guess.

I don't disagree, but I'll be happy if we get there by NSD. I don't care when we get 'em - just get 'em.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Goods teammate who reclassified to the 2020 class is another 4 star DT. Could take our last DT spot available.

Gerald Mincey keeps hinting at him also committing soon. A poster on Inside the gators said he messaged him a few months ago and he said he’d commit if offered. Could be interesting. A massive body in the middle at 6-6 315 lbs. Swonkey is prepping the lube as we speak

Jeffrey M'ba, St. Thomas More, Defensive Tackle

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Also just to add. I saw this elsewhere and it’s definitely worth repeating: Last year the staff went on vacation a week before the dead period. For the ones who think Mullen doesn’t adjust or self reflect, they made the last weekend before the dead period a pretty huge recruiting weekend this year and pulled in 2 4 stars, and had arguably our biggest rush end target in Walker back on campus, and Xavier Henderson was also here. Obviously there needs to be coaching attrition if Knox doesn’t miraculously get Bowman to flip and also English needs to go regardless of who he signs, but this is a positive change regardless.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Goods teammate who reclassified to the 2020 class is another 4 star DT. Could take our last DT spot available.

Gerald Mincey keeps hinting at him also committing soon. A poster on Inside the gators said he messaged him a few months ago and he said he’d commit if offered. Could be interesting. A massive body in the middle at 6-6 315 lbs. Swonkey is prepping the lube as we speak

Yes please!!!

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

I see him listed at OT. Is he a two way player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator