Recruiting 2020 Recruiting Thread: Gervon Dexter gets 5th Star on Rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Win what?

So far Mullinz tops out at third in the division with a ten year resume.

And at this point in time, he's probably the best available coach who actually wants the UF job. Just sayin.' Also, the "win" reference is obviously an expression of hope as opposed to a fully justified expectation, based on DM's tenure at a lesser program in what was undeniably a stronger division. There is much to prove one way or the other, and the time finally draws nigh. Thank God.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This guy seems truly up in the air after his de-commit from Chump - was with us Friday, Tally yesterday and heading back - put his SNL pics up as profile page.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
An honest man would say that's pretty good
It's ok. He didnt win the west like Cowbell did in the 90s but he usually won a few games.

It really was all the terrible losses to South Alabama, Burp Bielema and probationary Ole Miss w Matt Luke.... and Kintucky and Mizzu now, that it makes it hard to talk him up much.....if we re being honest

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Win what?

So far Mullinz tops out at third in the division with a ten year resume.

Again, everyone in the league has been playing for second place for a decade at this point. The fact that out of 14 coaches, only 1 has multiple wins over Saban is astounding. But the idea that Msu was ever going to be anything more than 3rd in the present landscape is crazy. If we’re still there in 2 years, you’ll get no argument from me.

As I’ve stated before, his biggest mistake was probably sticking around too long. But then that goes back to Foley being Foley in 2014.

The second part of your last post is valid.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. If we’re still there in 2 years, you’ll get no argument from me.
We re going to still be there in two years. Year three is going to be fvkking ugly.

And we would be with any coach. Fooley and his fvkkups thoroughly destroyed the program, back to 70s levels.

An honest man admits it isnt a two year rebuild, but that the rebuild will never happen without SOS or CUM level recruiting and with rosters that are 10 players short. The recruiting has to come first, and we haven't even started.

Last edited:

Malaka

Sep 6, 2018

I don't know x's and o's like you do so I enjoy your breakdowns. I still don't get the constant knock on Mullen's offense though. I was frustrated at the time the Mullen wheel was born during his first stint here but in hindsight we were a proficient offense. Of course who wouldn't be with Tebow and Harvin but we struggled the day Mullen left.

Mullen and Gonzalez were here for 5 years. They had Harvin, Nelson, Cooper, Hernandez, Murphy and others have better similar or better careers than spurriers recievers in half the time. We joke about blocking in his offense but the fundamentals we stress seem to put guys in the NFL.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know x's and o's like you do so I enjoy your breakdowns. I still don't get the constant knock on Mullen's offense though.
I don't think it's a knock vs realism. He's a guy who is going to put a 60th ranked offense on the field on average, and a 100th ranked passing offense. It is what it is. Mediocre guy. Im not knocking him, I just don't worship him, like some do out of reflex it seems.

Ive you like ball control option offense with a few sideways passes, he's your guy. I don't. Never have.

As someone else said though, he is the best we could get. I agree with that.

Mullen and Gonzalez were here for 5 years. They had Harvin, Nelson, Cooper, Hernandez, Murphy and others have better similar or better careers than spurriers recievers in half the time.
Not clear on what you are trying to say here. Better pro careers? That has been rebutted repeatedly.

Malaka

Sep 6, 2018
Not clear on what you are trying to say here.

I'm saying that itraz facetiously asked why a wr wouldn't want to play in a Mullen offense. I'm saying that while he doesn't run a flashy air raid offense or fun n gun he has a history of getting receivers to the NFL despite running such a terrible offense.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I wouldn't want to play for Chip Kelly because I wouldn't be sure he's going to be there more than a few years. Moorehead is happy AF to have an SEC head coaching gig (that's why he's the 2nd lowest paid coach in the league). His offense is legit and it came around last year towards the 2nd half of the season.....sort of like ours did. His offense is legit and there's no shame in us losing out on a Mississippi kid to a Mississippi school. Hopefully we get Heath on campus and he changes his mind.
I could be guaranteed Kelly would be there for a decade and I wouldn’t want to play for him. And it was probably unfair for me to use him as an example because it sounds like I am equating the two. Morehead seems like a hard working, selfless, and decent man - the total opposite of Kelly. I did not recall MSU’s offense coming on, and was pretty much thinking of our game with them. (Course our offense wasn’t much to behold that night either!) Having lived in that part of the world I get a Mississippi kid staying home, I just don’t necessarily agree it is a better offense. And I too hope we flip Heath!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm saying that itraz facetiously asked why a wr wouldn't want to play in a Mullen offense. I'm saying that while he doesn't run a flashy air raid offense or fun n gun he has a history of getting receivers to the NFL despite running such a terrible offense.
I don't know that underutilizing top talent and them getting to the NFL despite that is a thing to hang your hat on. Besides, 2006 is a LONG time ago. Kids today view that as ancient history. His cowbell receivers certainly arent lighting up the NFL. We remember some of the early kids "making it" bc they went from 400 yard receivers to actually making a roster. Most people (not O&B) only remember Harvin in the NFL.

The fact is that any coach recruiting against is us going to show film of a receivers mostly blocking and/or running screen passes. Top receivers don't choose that over a place where they can run routes and hope to achieve 1000 yard seasons instead of 350 yard seasons. It is just a fact.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I don't know that underutilizing top talent and them getting to the NFL despite that is a thing to hang your hat on. Besides, 2006 is a LONG time ago. Kids today view that as ancient history. His cowbell receivers certainly arent lighting up the NFL. We remember some of the early kids "making it" bc they went from 400 yard receivers to actually making a roster. Most people (not O&B) only remember Harvin in the NFL.

The fact is that any coach recruiting against is us going to show film of a receivers mostly blocking and/or running screen passes. Top receivers don't choose that over a place where they can run routes and hope to achieve 1000 yard seasons instead of 350 yard seasons. It is just a fact.

I'm not sure why anyone would argue with this or has an issue with it. A top WR isn't going to come to UF and put up pinball numbers. Our leading WR will likely have no more than 50 receptions and we likely never see a 1000 yard WR (just like the first time Mullen was here).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Former commit Morven Joseph committed to FSU.
Mehhhhhh....

I'd like to think Mullinz is putting the chokehold on Grantham and his obsession at landing all the 200 pound DEs in the country.

Id also like to think Grantham is gone next year. I can dream, can't I?

Last edited:

Malaka

Sep 6, 2018

Other than harvin and Hernandez none of those other guys should have been seen as surefire top talents. Murphy was a 3 star. Cooper was fast but so are a thousand other wr recruits. Nelson I believe was rated high but again....Spurrier had plenty of uber talented guys that didn't amount to squat in the NFL. Kids may want to win college football games and titles but lets be real...they want to make it to the league. Mullen has a track record of getting them there. In any event the criticisms of his offense just seem incessant. I like this board because there are more knowledgeable football fans here but outside of cover 2 and truth there seems to be a negative slant on it

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier had plenty of uber talented guys that didn't amount to squat in the NFL.
Pull up the stats and see what you find about those SOS receivers who didn't do squat, which I guess means become all pro because they trounced CUM receivers in yardage, TDs, games etc.

I still don't get the constant knock on Mullen's offense though.
It isn't a knock. It's a reply to the pumper garbage about him being a guru. Nothing on his resume says guru, or QB whisperer or three star whisperer. He is an averagish guy who puts an averagish offense on the field. That isn't a knock, that is his resume.

The good news is most of the SEC East have terrible offensive coordinators and HCs who don't care.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.