Not open for further replies.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Upgrade those facilities Stricklin!! .
He has. Basketball just got a huge upgrade. Baseball and softall next. Then probably spelling bees or something.

Eventually, maybe football.

Just maybe. But not unless you give 150 mil MORE per year.

Last edited:

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
He had. Basketball just got a huge upgrade. Baseball and softall next. Then probably spelling bees or something.

Eventually, maybe football.

Just maybe. But not unless you give 150 mil MORE per year.

giphy.gif

leogator

May 5, 2018
Calvin Ashley is transferring from Auburn. Are we interested in him? We were very interested in him.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
:doh:

Three man fronts generally have HEAVY ends, essentially a NT and two DTs.

Skinny ends are a hallmark of a 4 man front. Guys that are WDEs in a 4 man front are typically OLBs in 3-4.

I dont know anyone else playing this flyweight 3 man front.
This.
We need 280 + WITH athleticism to anchor the interior.
We simply cannot give up the run at the expense of rushing the QB.
I love the excitement of Grantham's blitzing defense, but we've all seen what happens when you don't get to the QB.
You can't always expect these hybrid linebackers to save you from a 3rd and 5 when you're backing off into coverage; we saw that when when a decent QB manipulated our safeties in 3rd and long.
With that philosophy of defense, we will always be chewing our nails in 3rd and long.
I prefer pressure up the middle without backing into coverage and relying on pressuring the QB. That just gives the opposing offense the opportunity to manipulate the defense.

leogator

May 5, 2018
He was a redshirt sophomore OT passed by a graduate transfer from, all places, UMass. He had an undisclosed medical issue in the the second half of the 2018 season. The scouting on him was that he was very athletic and strong in the running game but had a lot of work to do in pass protection. His recruiting was rather strange in that he transferred to a place in the DMV area in the middle of the 2017 season if I remember correctly. For you star gazers he was a 5*.

From what I have heard Miami is very interested in him.

Last edited:

leogator

May 5, 2018
This.
We need 280 + WITH athleticism to anchor the interior.
We simply cannot give up the run at the expense of rushing the QB.
I love the excitement of Grantham's blitzing defense, but we've all seen what happens when you don't get to the QB.
You can't always expect these hybrid linebackers to save you from a 3rd and 5 when you're backing off into coverage; we saw that when when a decent QB manipulated our safeties in 3rd and long.
With that philosophy of defense, we will always be chewing our nails in 3rd and long.
I prefer pressure up the middle without backing into coverage and relying on pressuring the QB. That just gives the opposing offense the opportunity to manipulate the defense.
If we are going to run a traditional 3-4 we have the people to run it but we are actually running a hybrid 4-2 with a lightweight DE.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
If he are going to run a traditional 3-4 we have the people to run it but we are actually running a hybrid 4-2 with a lightweight DE.
Ok. If we have the bodies to run a traditional "3-4," then why are we not running it?
We are running a hybrid because we don't have the bodies--the weight, strength and athleticism to anchor the DL.
That is why the weakness at safety has been so glaring and manipulated, because opposing offenses have forced us to change the scheme. At the expense of giving up the run, and forcing our weak safeties to make decisions on who to cover.
**** rolls down hill. In this case, it's the safeties getting confused on what to do when the play changes.
It is a direct result of a weakness on the interior line.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He was a redshirt sophomore OT passed by a graduate transfer from, all places, UMass. He had an undisclosed medical issue in the the second half of the 2018 season. The scouting on him was that he was very athletic and strong in the running game but had a lot of work to do in pass protection. His recruiting was rather strange in that he transferred to a place in the DMV area in the middle of the 2017 season if I remember correctly. For you star gazers he was a 5*.

From what I have heard Miami is very interested in him.

He's from the DC area, likely going to Maryland or closer to home.

With our limited numbers, imo the only undergrad transfer we'd take is a DT or SDE.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018

Grantham sure disguises his 3-4,err 4-3 whatever as a 5-2 an awful lot. Like the entire Michigan game.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018

Plus I know he’s using five guys down to disguise which four are rushing with the fifth blitzing at times. Or safeties, corners or LBs.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017

One problem is this is hard to see happen on tv. In person at the stadium you see the swaps as the offense takes the field play to play. So, for many it’s hard to follow what you mean here. The nfl coverage seems to do a better job catching this with more sideline angles that show the personnel swapping/matching on the defense. In the super bowl it showed up A LOT.

A 3-4 is, at its simplest, a 5-2 with what used to be called "ends" standing up as OLBs.

Very true (for those watching i the eighties think Carl Banks and LT on opposite sides of the line both as standup LB’s with LT almost always rushing and Banks more of the true LB role from a 4-3). as is the 4-3 under for that mattter that M Manuel seems to run. Each look a bit like a 5-2 with a fair amount of versatility and, I think, try to match up the best d lineman on the best matchups. What is odd, is the 4-3 under seems to use more 1 gap speed rushing inside, ala the Seahawks and, at time Rams with a Donald. With the size we are using under Grantham Gators.0, you’d think he’d play that style intentionally (not just matching). And, We aren’t playing our 3-4 big double gap bodies yet claim to be base 3-4. I know @ltraz identified above matching the offense due to heavy outside man coverage, but it still seems odd how little we play a “big” 3-4 or even 4-2 (with two gap assignment) nickel. That could have helped a bunch versus Missouri.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He's from the DC area, likely going to Maryland or closer to home.

With our limited numbers, imo the only undergrad transfer we'd take is a DT or SDE.

Is Braun and Reese not going to happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member