Recruiting 2020 Recruiting Thread: Gervon Dexter gets 5th Star on Rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Brantley looked worse than he was because of Steve Addazio. If Daz can't run power with his QB he has no idea what else to call.

I will give Mullen the benefit of the doubt here. If he thinks Beck is better for his offense, then let's go get 'em.
Some people think they know better than Mullen and Johnson whether a player fits his system or not. The arrogance!

leogator

May 5, 2018
I have always thought that the long windup is overrated as a con against a QB. Lots of other qualities are a lot more important. Can he deliver the ball to his receivers on time and accurately?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I have always thought that the long windup is overrated as a con against a QB. Lots of other qualities are a lot more important. Can he deliver the ball to his receivers on time and accurately?
Windup, form etc isnt nearly as important as accuracy, no doubt. But with the elite CBs and defenders, it does matter. A lot of the elite defenders are in the SEC however.

leogator

May 5, 2018
He won them when Alabama and Georgia were in the doldrums. Plus Tim was a pretty decent passing QB at least statistically. He was pretty accurate long ball thrower but less so in the shorter passing game over the middle. Meyer was very risk averse when it came to slants and crossing routes.

leogator

May 5, 2018
I think he wants to change the offense somewhat because he has a lot of talent in the WR, RB and TEs. Put the ball in your playmakers hands and out of the QBs hands.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Windup, form etc isnt nearly as important as accuracy, no doubt. But with the elite CBs and defenders, it does matter. A lot of the elite defenders are in the SEC however.
Trevor Lawrence does not have the shortest of deliveries either but he did OK for a freshman. He did it against Bama where all the great DBs are.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Some people think they know better than Mullen and Johnson whether a player fits his system or not. The arrogance!
Johnson doesnt impress me.

However, I do think coaches sometimes over estimate their ability to mold players. The fact that Franks is a capable (I didnt say excellent) runner really isnt a surprise. He ran a lot in HS in a spread. His passing improvement is more surprising, though FF still looks confused standing in the pocket.

Mullinz did however say that he would teach Brantley to run, that Brantley was athletic (maybe moreso before that injury) and that he saw him as an Alex Smith. Newton looked horrid passing under Mullinz and their was talk he would be moved to TE.

Those who just blame Daz for JB, remember Brantley spent three years w Mullinz before Daz.

Arrogance is free. No extra charge.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think he wants to change the offense somewhat because he has a lot of talent in the WR, RB and TEs. Put the ball in your playmakers hands and out of the QBs hands.
I wish. Id love for him to be pulling out the old SOS tapes and stretching the field vertically in addition to horizontally.

I will say that I really love the new RPO in which the read is to give to a back or throw to a slanting receiver depending on what a LB/SS/nickel does.

We will see if he changes the O much. Im very skeptical. His Notre Dame roots are thick.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Brantley spend only two years under Mullen, 2007 and 2008. I heard that Brantley was pushed on Meyer and Mullen by some older Bull Gators.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Trevor Lawrence does not the shortest of deliveries either but he did OK for a freshman. He did it against Bama where all the great DBs are.
You know, Ive screamed it from the mountain tops since 2008, Bammer doesnt have great DBs. Their weakness is thru the air. They play runstoppers first. We've seen it repeatedly with SOS beating them w that thick drunk at QB, Ugly nearly doing it with Matt Fatford, Ole Siss twice, Manziel. If you can throw, you can beat Bammer.

Every team seems more interested in trying to out-Bammer them and run it down their throats. So far, only LSU succeeded and not often.

leogator

May 5, 2018
You know, Ive screamed it from the mountain tops since 2008, Bammer doesnt have great DBs. Their weakness is thru the air. They play runstoppers first. We've seen it repeatedly with SOS beating them w that thick drunk at QB, Ugly nearly doing it with Matt Fatford, Ole Siss twice, Manziel. If you can throw, you can beat Bammer.

Every team seems more interested in trying to out-Bammer them and run it down their throats. So far, only LSU succeeded and not often.
Good receivers tend to make good DBs look silly and Clemson has had some very good receivers. Bama recruits the top (according to the rankings) DBs. It must be that the rankings are not a good prognosticators of success.
Yeah, I have no idea why people try to outmuscle Bama.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Brantley spend only two years under Mullen, 2007 and 2008. I heard that Brantley was pushed on Meyer and Mullen by some older Bull Gators.
Still two years.

Do you really think the alums were pulling the strings w Creyer & Co?

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Come on man ... saying Brantley spent 2 years under Mullens is not a very accurate statement. He redshirted his first year (2007) and was buried in the depth chart his 2nd year (2008).

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Johnson doesnt impress me.
ok, I'll bite. what is this based on? And I'm not taking the opposite stance here. I honestly can say I'm impressed or not impressed b/c I don't know what's happening behind the scenes. Do you have some insider info or basing this on something else?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I don't know which QB we need, but I do know that we have recruited two QBs in a row who can run. I hate missing out on AR, but if CDM wants to recruit a passing QB this year, well, that seems reasonable.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
ok, I'll bite. what is this based on? And I'm not taking the opposite stance here. I honestly can say I'm impressed or not impressed b/c I don't know what's happening behind the scenes. Do you have some insider info or basing this on something else?
Nothing in his resume is impressive, in the slightest.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know which QB we need, but I do know that we have recruited two QBs in a row who can run. I hate missing out on AR, but if CDM wants to recruit a passing QB this year, well, that seems reasonable.
Yeah, the truth is we can afford to miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator