Recruiting 2020 Recruiting Thread: Gervon Dexter gets 5th Star on Rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
Don't believe that it is on my image.
ENyc0FxXsAAoRpT.jpg:large

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I hope Dean stays. He showed positive signs last year so I don’t think he’s a lost cause at this point, just not a CB.

I’m not sure that he couldn’t be a serviceable CB as he was decent outside as a freshman. He is definitely not a nickel/Star. Though, as others have said, he seems built more like a safety with decent man skills. Ironically, we need that in Grantham’s system and Dean is never there.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Decent man skills for a safety? maybe. For a corner? not even close.

He actually seems to have gotten worse this year. He seems stiffer. Maybe that is just putting on mass in the S&C. Ive always liked him more at SS but hed be fine at star if we didnt play man constantly.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Decent man skills for a safety? maybe. For a corner? not even close.

He actually seems to have gotten worse this year. He seems stiffer. Maybe that is just putting on mass in the S&C. Ive always liked him more at SS but hed be fine at star if we didnt play man constantly.

Other than “For a corner? Not even close” I agree with all of this. The problem is our current Star is most often in man in more difficult positions than having a boundary to help him. I suppose if Grantham left, he could excel in a different Star-equivalent scheme. Even Grant Delpit, who is a likely first rounder is struggling in similarly situated man to man roles so they now put him in those spots less.

But, if we did that, then Dean should still not play there as Burney might end up being able to handle the role better if we actually made that adjustment.

As to CB, I also think his skills seemed to deteriorate, but I put more of that on having to play inside so much. If he had the advantage of more clearly leveraging to the field or boundary outside at CB (I believe) his limitations would be less pronounced and were less pronounced last year as a freshman - admittedly still not great. Having receivers with far more options on their releases has destroyed him and his confidence that used to exude.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. If he had the advantage of more clearly leveraging to the field or boundary outside at CB (I believe) his limitations would be less pronounced and were less pronounced last year as a freshman - admittedly still not great. .
I think he just benefited from being on the field with CJ McWilliams Taylor & Stiner. he was clearly the best defensive back on the field so they went away from him. or put their best receiver on our worst cb (mcwilliams). that didn't make him good but I do still feel like he deteriorated somewhat. I think he was starting to do that last year.

I wonder how much of it is just increasing lack of confidence, the big danger of being forced to play kids way too early due to extreme lack of depth and talent.

he is a very talented kid. I hope he pulls up out of the dive.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks. It is on your image; it wasn't on mine. Don't know why. I even pulled up the tweet. It would be a service to the readers for the posters to give the recruit's name in case things get omitted from the tweet.

it was Leonard Manuel lll

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Coaches are paid to develop these players to their peak performance. Something you mentioned SEC14. Playing athletes out of their natural position dishevels their confidence. A coach should funnel his charges into their best position of performance.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
Thanks. It is on your image; it wasn't on mine. Don't know why. I even pulled up the tweet. It would be a service to the readers for the posters to give the recruit's name in case things get omitted from the tweet.

Yeah. All these recruitniks use these abbreviations, nicknames and such like those of us who aren't understand all that crap.. You would think they could have a little respect for us old folks and actually say what they mean..

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Yeah. All these recruitniks use these abbreviations, nicknames and such like those of us who aren't understand all that crap.. You would think they could have a little respect for us old folks and actually say what they mean..

The name showed up on my link...it didn’t on other ppls if I woulda known that I woulda fixed it...but now I know

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
He might have 5 in one game against an FCS opponent...we’re a little lacking in depth at that position

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going to make a bold prediction that Wells has more than 5 catches this season!

Anybody else on the "over 5" on Wells?
I’ll take the under.

Big bodied, four-star WR from Jacksonville.

Has a grand total of (wait for it…)

One reception in four years.

For 6 yards.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Lenton was the first name that came
To mind . Jeremiah Moon isn’t as good as Bogle,
Diabate or Cox. I think he will see the writing on the wall and transfer post spring . Rick Wells is in the
Same boat .

Agree on Linton. Not sure Moon would make a move this late in things, especially considering Grantham now looks to be retained and uses that type of player so much.

Same with Wells. I imagine he's bought a house in Gainesville at this point, kids in school, etc. and is pretty entrenched.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Cade Mays (UGA OL who is in the portal) is expected to land at Tenn - he's from Knoxville and his little brother is now on UT's team. So the word is he wants to 'go home and play with his brother at UT'. He's hired a 'high profile' lawyer so he can get immediate eligibility. Keep an eye on this. If this motherf*cker gets a waiver....our transfer better get one as well. Pouncey is also coming home to play at UF with his brother, and Lingard has the old - usually - reliable 'moving closer to home due to a sick relative'. Anyhow, something to watch. Additionally, this would be the second high profile UGA transfer in two years to get an immediate waiver due to UGA's conduct (allegedly) - but of course, the waiver for Cox never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.