Gator Baseball 2022 Gator Baseball

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Did anyone ever get an explanation as to why D. Fabian was called out at the bottom of the 5th? Something about stepping out of the box before the pitch? Sully wasn’t happy about it. Said something like “never seen that in my life.”

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
HUGE win for the program, LOVE destroying the Noles! :chomp::nolerape:

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Did anyone ever get an explanation as to why D. Fabian was called out at the bottom of the 5th? Something about stepping out of the box before the pitch? Sully wasn’t happy about it. Said something like “never seen that in my life.”
There's a rule that states once you enter the box for your at bat you must keep at least one foot in the box at all times, if you leave the box the umpire can call a strike on you. In Fabian's case that happened to be strike 3. I've never seen this rule enforced before, just another case of an umpire trying to make the game about him. This rule was put in to speed up the game supposedly, I have an idea, how about limiting the number of commercials between innings, that would speed up the game a hell of a lot more than worrying about somebody stepping out of the box.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Did Fabian do it just to be defiant.? Setting up a duel between himself & that umpire. Were antagonizing words previously said.?

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
There's a rule that states once you enter the box for your at bat you must keep at least one foot in the box at all times, if you leave the box the umpire can call a strike on you. In Fabian's case that happened to be strike 3. I've never seen this rule enforced before, just another case of an umpire trying to make the game about him. This rule was put in to speed up the game supposedly, I have an idea, how about limiting the number of commercials between innings, that would speed up the game a hell of a lot more than worrying about somebody stepping out of the box.
How about the volume of replays?

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We are 3-4 against comparative teams (those in the top 25)and still have a gauntlet SEC schedule plus 3 with the Noles. The easier part of the schedule is over. We have one dominant starting pitcher and no one else has secured a spot on the weekends. It's sadly similar to last year when the rotation never really worked it's way. On offense its bomb or bust and today and yesterday showed us what bust feels like, no fun to watch. Tuesday game against the noles is on SEC Network so we will see if any adjustments are in order. I would consider letting Lastres take some AB's at DH because we're not getting much out of that spot. Not really concerned about the post season when we are this inconsistent at pitching.

So for second consecutive season with a coach that prides himself on building pitching rotations, our pitching staff is the weakness of the team.
Did I get that right?

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
So for second consecutive season with a coach that prides himself on building pitching rotations, our pitching staff is the weakness of the team.
Did I get that right?
Yes, context helps see the challenge. 19 total pitchers on the team. Only 10 have thrown more than 9 innings to date. The breakdown by class is 1- Graduate, 1- Jr., 4- soph., 13- freshmen. At least 5 are returning from arm injuries.

3 are consistently dependable, Barco (rso), Slater (rf), Purnell (rf). The other 7 have been inconsistent especially in placing pitches correctly in strike zone, at times they can't find the strike zone.
So yeah, youth, inexperience and inconsistency give us what we have until they grow into a Barco, Singer, Byrne, Faedo or AJ Puk. Sully has a history of developing good to great pitching staff's. Time will tell.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Did Fabian do it just to be defiant.? Setting up a duel between himself & that umpire. Were antagonizing words previously said.?
It looked like he was frustrated at himself for not attacking the first pitch that split the plate, second pitch was a called strike that looked slightly inside, the ump told him to get back in the box and when he didn't he called him out. I don't like the call but understand the rule. Watch Barco pitch! He takes it from the catcher, gets the sign and goes, no wasted time or motion. The rule help a guy like him by stopping batters from stepping out in order to disrupt the pitchers timing. It also adresses the speed of the game challenge.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I just checked in and I saw that Garrett Milchen is listed as the Starting Pitcher in Game 3 this weekend. I think Milchen is a great kid and I root for him, but if he is starting in an SEC series, then I need to rethink my statement of a few weeks ago when I said we have enough arms, but do we have enough quality arms? This tells me we do not even have enough arms. WTF?

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
If he keeps having arm injuries at the rate he has the last 3 years it won't matter, because dads will quit sending their kids to him if the haven't started already.
It happened to Lopez and can happen to Sully.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
If he keeps having arm injuries at the rate he has the last 3 years it won't matter, because dads will quit sending their kids to him if the haven't started already.
It happened to Lopez and can happen to Sully.
Catchers always think they can develop pitchers. They usually suck at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator