Gator Baseball 2022 Gator Baseball

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
K's and RISP are baked into the cake, but I don't know specific numbers. I agree on the 2 strike approach, but like I said a couple of weeks ago, it's hard for 18-20 year old kids to be able to hit for power and show good contact skills. The problem lies with the Rivera's of the world that have some pop, but not enough to justify their K rate. I have no problem with the Langfords and Fabians of the world averaging a K per game when they're slugging .800.

Good info. Thanks. It is possible to adjust to a two strike hitting approach. We have elite players and I see lesser players do it all the time. But it takes coaching. Sully has always been strictly committed to the Earl Weaver 3 run homer philosophy. However, I think they have more bunt attempts than in any year under Sully so far. But bunting takes a lot of coaching and practice and he just hasn't been committed to it.

Other than Liberty, we have had a pretty soft schedule. Let's take another look at the stats when we are halfway through the SEC schedule.

It seems that most of the walks are given up to bottom of the order batters, extending the inning and putting the top of the order at the plate to knock them in.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Other than Liberty, we have had a pretty soft schedule. Let's take another look at the stats when we are halfway through the SEC schedule. .
It is a fact it will be getting much tougher with us scheduled to play 5 teams in the current top 25 all in three game series so that's 15 games to watch. That doesn't count the defending champion MSU or SC who is always tough. All teams schedule non conference games they should win early to work out the kinks. I don't think you can say playing #24 Miami in Coral Gables was soft scheduling. To date we have played 10 teams of which 6 have winning records and two are in the current top 25. 16-5 at this point with the flaws all of us couch coaches have identified isn't a bad start. We need to develop pitching depth and that hasn't materialized, yet it is still a monumental improvement over last years fiasco.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I have a theory based on watching almost every game this year. Sully is implementing a very non-traditional approach with the pitching staff this season out of necessity. In past seasons when we we 5 or more MLB prospects deep you would know what he would do when he needed a long reliever to eat up mid innings and he had a set-up and closer similar to the bigs. His starters were a 1A, 1B and then a solid guy on Sunday. Last year was a disaster and he never got a handle on what to do other than hand Barco the ball on Sunday and hope he could get 7 or 8. Fri and Sat were head scratchers.

This season it seems to me he only trusts 5 guys completely, Barco, Ficorrotta, Slater, Purnell and Milchin (only because he throws strikes). Sproat is awesome/ awful any given day. No defined Sunday guy yet! So I think he goes into the weekend saying he is going to ride Barco deep into the opener, let him work thru jams because he needs him to keep it close and eat up innings. Then if he needs an inning or two it's either Fic or Purnell. Win game 1 is key using a max of 2 pitchers. Saturday he gives the ball to Sproat and hopes for a good outing of 5 innings, if not he goes to Slater to pitch like 80 pitches, starter work. If he needs another reliever it's back to Purnell or Fic. Win game 2 and the series. Sunday becomes all hands on deck and if the Fri Sat strategy worked he has Milchin and either Fic or Purnell with one or more of the freshmen to help out. I think Manning has worked his way into Sully's doghouse and will be back at mid-week soon. At this point with it being SEC play I would give Milchin a chance on Sunday to start and see if he can get thru three or four. Nesbitt and Pogue are coming off serious arm injury so they can't help on weekends. Coppola is MIA since first weekend and none of the others have earned his trust. So counting Sproat he only has 6 arms he can run out there with expectation of getting outs.

It's not traditional and it risks wearing out his top guns but I think it's the best he has until the freshmen come around.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I don't know the run expectancy with a K, you should look that up, but I do know it's already part of the equation; they don't say we're not going to count this because someone struck out. I'm happy you like the bunt in that situation, but I'd be even happier if you were coaching against my team. You open up the option of intentionally walking the next batter, putting the DP right back in order, though now it would end the inning because you gave me an out. In either scenario you're probably going to get a run out of it, and sacrificing might actually give you a better chance of scoring that run, but sacrificing lowers your chances of putting up a crooked number. Like I said, in a late game situation when you need one run, it's not a bad strategy, but on the whole you score less runs. The numbers don't lie.
Intentionally walking the next batter to get to Colby? Or maybe Thompson? Oh, and not too mention the pressure you have now put on your pitcher not to put a breaking ball in the dirt. And since, as a coach, clearly aren't expecting the bunt since it goes against the analytics probably won't defend very well increasing my chances of actually turning the play into chaos and actually getting a run out of it particularly if I have the double steal on at the same time. We can go on and on.... numbers don't lie but we also know that constantly putting the ball over the middle of the plate because someone used analytics to point out that great batters get themselves out 7 out of 10 AB's could be disastrous. That analytic is mostly due to good execution from the pitching stand point, but not great otherwise it would be lower.

Small ball isn't popular, like playing great defense but having a mediocre offense..say in basketball but it can win games. Something that is no longer practiced and part of the game anymore is also not going to have great analytics when it is used because execution will in all likelihood be poor.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
Intentionally walking the next batter to get to Colby? Or maybe Thompson? Oh, and not too mention the pressure you have now put on your pitcher not to put a breaking ball in the dirt. And since, as a coach, clearly aren't expecting the bunt since it goes against the analytics probably won't defend very well increasing my chances of actually turning the play into chaos and actually getting a run out of it particularly if I have the double steal on at the same time. We can go on and on.... numbers don't lie but we also know that constantly putting the ball over the middle of the plate because someone used analytics to point out that great batters get themselves out 7 out of 10 AB's could be disastrous. That analytic is mostly due to good execution from the pitching stand point, but not great otherwise it would be lower.

Small ball isn't popular, like playing great defense but having a mediocre offense..say in basketball but it can win games. Something that is no longer practiced and part of the game anymore is also not going to have great analytics when it is used because execution will in all likelihood be poor.

When there are already runners on 2nd and 3rd, putting a runner on first doesn't add pressure to not throw a ball in the dirt. How did that make sense in that noodle of yours. You can put the double steal on, but what happens when the batter can't get on top of that 95 mph fastball at the top of the zone to get a bunt down, or even better pops it up? You've not only screwed your chances at multiple runs, but now getting that single run is difficult. Just because teams use analytics doesn't mean they don't practice for and defend bunts well, nor does it mean they ignore the possibility of one. Your straw man won't fly here, nor will the "put the ball over the middle of the plate because great batters get themselves out 7 of 10 AB's" BS.

What don't you understand about the the analytics I listed only including successful sacrifices? Hint: that analytic isn't affected by poor execution, it's ignoring poor execution! Again, the runs expected stat goes down even further when the bunt isn't executed well and you give away an out without moving runners over.

Yup, you can go on all you like. I believe we also call that digging your hole...

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I am seeing some definite improvements. Lets see if they stay focused

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
When there are already runners on 2nd and 3rd, putting a runner on first doesn't add pressure to not throw a ball in the dirt. How did that make sense in that noodle of yours. You can put the double steal on, but what happens when the batter can't get on top of that 95 mph fastball at the top of the zone to get a bunt down, or even better pops it up? You've not only screwed your chances at multiple runs, but now getting that single run is difficult. Just because teams use analytics doesn't mean they don't practice for and defend bunts well, nor does it mean they ignore the possibility of one. Your straw man won't fly here, nor will the "put the ball over the middle of the plate because great batters get themselves out 7 of 10 AB's" BS.

What don't you understand about the the analytics I listed only including successful sacrifices? Hint: that analytic isn't affected by poor execution, it's ignoring poor execution! Again, the runs expected stat goes down even further when the bunt isn't executed well and you give away an out without moving runners over.

Yup, you can go on all you like. I believe we also call that digging your hole...

There are no sure bets in baseball and there is always the possibility of popping up a bunt but thats why execution in all phases of the game lead to better results. Loading the bases puts more pressure on the pitcher from a psychological perspective but if you have ever been on the mound you'd know that already. The lingering thought of walking the next batter and pushing a run over because the coach thought it a good idea to load the bases with 1 out. So....yep he left one over the fat part of the plate and down the line or in the parking lot it goes. And once you've loaded the bases the RE goes up. Good job. I don't have a problem with analytics as a tool but not the only tool and that seems to be the only thing you concern yourself with.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Very nice game. Nice to finally see some small ball finally...The new ballpark is very impressive, too bad they can't install handrails like that @ Ben Hill Griffin...especially for us 'ol farts.
Planning on going again tonite...Go Gators...:jog:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Good start to the weekend. See it is okay to move runners along or score a run making a productive out. Glad Sully has decided it does actually have some merit and can stress a defense. Don;t want to say we should sweep b/c LSU is not good, but it is baseball and even a game like VU-USCe will happen like last night. what we can't let happen again is what happened against a bad team last Sunday. We need to pound these below average teams so as to get confidence and also have some margin when the tough teams appear on the schedule.

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
Lets take series tonight guys, this one means a little bit more to me

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Sproat walks the first batter and gives up a 2 run homer to the second.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
There are no sure bets in baseball and there is always the possibility of popping up a bunt but thats why execution in all phases of the game lead to better results. Loading the bases puts more pressure on the pitcher from a psychological perspective but if you have ever been on the mound you'd know that already. The lingering thought of walking the next batter and pushing a run over because the coach thought it a good idea to load the bases with 1 out. So....yep he left one over the fat part of the plate and down the line or in the parking lot it goes. And once you've loaded the bases the RE goes up. Good job. I don't have a problem with analytics as a tool but not the only tool and that seems to be the only thing you concern yourself with.

Yes, the bases loaded puts more pressure on a pitcher to throw strikes. That should've been your argument from the start, not the ridiculous argument that adding a runner on 1st somehow creates more pressure to not throw a ball in the dirt when there's already a runner on 3rd. Great job, you're batting .500 now. But if execution is all that's needed to successfully sacrifice runners and get a run or two home, doesn't that also apply to pitchers not walking a batter... And how many times do I have to tell you that the bunting analytics are based on perfect execution!!!

The one sure bet in baseball is outs lower your RE. Once that out is given away, a runner on 1st is not expected to score.

I never said you have to strictly follow analytics. I said more often than not it's better, but bunting can be warranted in late game situations and when poor hitters are up. When you need one run late, bunting may even give you an edge, but early in games crooked numbers usually win games. Indeed, the only person that hasn't wavered is you, despite the adverse numbers staring you in the face.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Yes, the bases loaded puts more pressure on a pitcher to throw strikes. That should've been your argument from the start, not the ridiculous argument that adding a runner on 1st somehow creates more pressure to not throw a ball in the dirt when there's already a runner on 3rd. Great job, you're batting .500 now. But if execution is all that's needed to successfully sacrifice runners and get a run or two home, doesn't that also apply to pitchers not walking a batter... And how many times do I have to tell you that the bunting analytics are based on perfect execution!!!

The one sure bet in baseball is outs lower your RE. Once that out is given away, a runner on 1st is not expected to score.

I never said you have to strictly follow analytics. I said more often than not it's better, but bunting can be warranted in late game situations and when poor hitters are up. When you need one run late, bunting may even give you an edge, but early in games crooked numbers usually win games. Indeed, the only person that hasn't wavered is you, despite the adverse numbers staring you in the face.
No....you used analytics to dismiss bunting as a viable strategy to get runs.....I like pressure on the defense, like actually have to field a ball and make a throw as opposed to the a K. If the analytics were based on perfect execution the RE would be greater. Define "perfect".

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
The second number in each scenario is based on the runners successfully being advanced. Because we know bunts don't always work, the runs on average would be even lower if that was factored in. There are certainly scenarios, such as a really poor hitter or when you're playing for one run, that utilizing the bunt makes more sense, but more times than not giving away an out costs you runs. Situational baseball for many teams, this team, is knocking the fuchin cover off the ball.
In either scenario you're probably going to get a run out of it, and sacrificing might actually give you a better chance of scoring that run, but sacrificing lowers your chances of putting up a crooked number. Like I said, in a late game situation when you need one run, it's not a bad strategy, but on the whole you score less runs. The numbers don't lie.
No....you used analytics to dismiss bunting as a viable strategy to get runs.....I like pressure on the defense, like actually have to field a ball and make a throw as opposed to the a K. If the analytics were based on perfect execution the RE would be greater. Define "perfect".
Tell me again when I dismissed bunting as a viable strategy... "Perfect" is successfully sacrificing runners to 2nd and 3rd. Holy fuch, I might as well be talking to a brick wall.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Today (Sunday 3/27) Gator pitchers have 6 HBP by the 6th inning.? LSU 5 - Gators 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator