Gator Baseball 2022 Gator Baseball

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Boy! I previously enjoyed baseball.
Kidding aside, these Gators seem poised to achieve a very disappointing baseball season -- disappointing themselves more than anyone.
Yeah, I'm not one of the people here that wants Sully fired yet I believe he needs to rethink some strategies. Before the transfer portal and NIL when he recruited top 5 classes he had the advantage of time to develop pitchers. In the past if you signed and enrolled at a 4 year school the player was ineligible for the MLB draft until after their 3rd year of eligibility. Today they expect instant PT or they can go elsewhere. Point in case UGA starting 2B was a Gator last season and a valuable back-up as was UGA's third SP. FSU's starting SS was Jordan Carrion who was a valuable freshman for UF last season. So my point with pitchers he used to slowly nurse them thru their first and sometimes second season getting huge rewards when they matured. I believe if he doesn't lets some of these guys like Abner, Neely, Hartman, Ursitti and Jameson get some innings they will be gone at the end of the season. He may have to rethink his "captain hook" mentality as portal and NIL are a new day in college sports.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
I coached HS ball in WNC for five years and with only a 2 year exception small ball was our only game as we didn't have the launch boys yet! We worked tirelessly on bunting, both for sacrifice and for hits. That coupled with the philosophy of hard hit ground balls were better than routine fly outs. At our small country school you had to explain everything again and again to drill it into their heads. The conversation about why a ground ball was better than a fly ball was simple. How many events must occur to get a batter out after hitting a fly ball? One! catch it! OK, how many events must occur to get a batter out after hitting a ground ball? Let's count, fielder must catch the ball cleanly, set his feet during transfer, transfer the ball glove to hand, throw a strike to the appropriate base, fielder must catch thrown ball, apply tag or have foot on base for a force. Answer 6 or more events have to occur every time. Which option gives us the best chance to get and move runners? Anyne who answer #1 moved to the end of the bench!

The last two years we had a very skilled team that had about five who could go deep but also knew how to put it in play. Won the conference those two years!

From an MLB.com article on Juan Soto: "Soto had one of the best quotes about participating in the Home Run Derby last year leading up to the event. 'It might mess with the swing of all the guys that are locked in, but I think it’s going to fix mine because I’m hitting too many ground balls,' he said. 'I hope it fixes my swing trying to put the ball in the air. That’s what we’ve been trying the whole year, so I hope it fixes mine.”

"Why does that matter? Ground balls are far less likely to lead to extra bases, of course. League-wide, batters hit .453 and slugged .891 in at-bats ending on fly balls and line drives in 2021. For Soto this year, those differences have been even more pronounced, with a .252 slugging percentage on ground balls and a 1.034 mark on fly balls and line drives. Elevate, celebrate, you know the drill."

For comparison purposes, league wide in 2021 batters hit .236 total, .290 on balls in play, and slugged .413. Clearly hitting the ball in the air is more productive, but I understand matching a game plan around the talent you have.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
SAS has always been a Know-it-all.........just saying.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
From an MLB.com article on Juan Soto: "Soto had one of the best quotes about participating in the Home Run Derby last year leading up to the event. 'It might mess with the swing of all the guys that are locked in, but I think it’s going to fix mine because I’m hitting too many ground balls,' he said. 'I hope it fixes my swing trying to put the ball in the air. That’s what we’ve been trying the whole year, so I hope it fixes mine.”

"Why does that matter? Ground balls are far less likely to lead to extra bases, of course. League-wide, batters hit .453 and slugged .891 in at-bats ending on fly balls and line drives in 2021. For Soto this year, those differences have been even more pronounced, with a .252 slugging percentage on ground balls and a 1.034 mark on fly balls and line drives. Elevate, celebrate, you know the drill."

For comparison purposes, league wide in 2021 batters hit .236 total, .290 on balls in play, and slugged .413. Clearly hitting the ball in the air is more productive, but I understand matching a game plan around the talent you have.
Great, I'm explaining how to coach teens who have limited talent on both Offense and defense and you choose to compare it with the MLB HR derby style of play. OK!

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
Great, I'm explaining how to coach teens who have limited talent on both Offense and defense and you choose to compare it with the MLB HR derby style of play. OK!
;

"We didn't have the launch boys yet," and "we had five guys that could go deep; won the conference those two years." I thought you understood the importance of hitting the ball in the air. I was for the most part agreeing with you by citing those numbers.

I'm not sure what limited ability on defense has to do with your hitting approach, but "Ground balls are far less likely to lead to extra bases" is across all levels of baseball. If they can hit the ball hard on the ground, they can hit a line drive down the line or find a gap in the OF. If they're incapable of consistently hitting the ball hard, then absolutely, small ball is the way to go. I guess you missed the "I understand matching the game plan around the talent" comment...

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
SAS has always been a Know-it-all.........just saying.

If saying I agree that both styles can work and usage should depend on the situation makes me a know-it-all, I'm guilty. If quoting readily available statistics to back up an argument makes me a know-it-all, once again, I'm guilty. But I'm curious, what's it called when someone omits key facts, uses multiple straw men, and never cites a statistic to back up their argument? They're right because, well, they just know they are...

GFY

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
I have not advocated for one style of play. That's just BS. But I'd prefer a team that can adapt and play according to the needs of the situation. If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his arse. You don't know that Anderson would have gotten out.

There's been no talk of the needs of the situation, you've yet to even acknowledge hitting away is a viable strategy, even with the numbers staring you in the face. If I'm wrong, quote your post.

I know we're talking about sacrificing runners to 2nd and 3rd, and I know the definition of sacrificing is giving up an out to move runners over. So yes, Anderson would've gotten an out. You can take your latest straw man and shove it up your frog's arse. If he flies off before you catch him, grengadgy is available.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
;

"We didn't have the launch boys yet," and "we had five guys that could go deep; won the conference those two years." I thought you understood the importance of hitting the ball in the air. I was for the most part agreeing with you by citing those numbers.

I'm not sure what limited ability on defense has to do with your hitting approach, but "Ground balls are far less likely to lead to extra bases" is across all levels of baseball. If they can hit the ball hard on the ground, they can hit a line drive down the line or find a gap in the OF. If they're incapable of consistently hitting the ball hard, then absolutely, small ball is the way to go. I guess you missed the "I understand matching the game plan around the talent" comment...
I'm only going to do this once or it loses it's entertainment value for the rest of the group. I started my post with" I coached HS ball in WNC for five years and with only a 2 year exception small ball was our only game as we didn't have the launch boys yet!" Let me breakdown that complex statement. In a period of five years we worked to develop a functional team. The first 3 years we only had one player who could hit one out and the rest were singles hitters. Yes, they hit line drives in the gaps because a line drive approach is similar to how you hit a hard ground ball. I explained why a hard hit ground ball was better than a routine fly ball and I will stand by my analysis regardless of what statistics get dug up at MLB.com. The first 2 years we had to fight base to base, a walk, stolen base, sac bunt equals a man on third 1 out. We usually found a way to get a run. When the team matured and a stronger group of players arrived the approach changed slightly by playing for big innings when the batting order was in our favor vs whoever was pitching. The ones who could smoke line drives hammered them, the ones who could launch one did so until they adjusted with a two strike count to make solid contact and move runners. Yep, we matched the game plan to the talent available, isn't that what chatter complains about Sully, HR or SO isn't a strategy. BTW we won the conference the last two years, it's amazing what you can do with a good team of horses to drive. Oh yeah, ground balls may be less likely to lead to extra bases but it normally leads to more runners advancing when the infield can't make the play's, Want proof? Check the UF/ UGA box score 7th inning of game 3 or ask Tyler Nesbitt if Josh Rivera is still apologizing for that display. He should be!

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
There's been no talk of the needs of the situation, you've yet to even acknowledge hitting away is a viable strategy, even with the numbers staring you in the face. If I'm wrong, quote your post.

I know we're talking about sacrificing runners to 2nd and 3rd, and I know the definition of sacrificing is giving up an out to move runners over. So yes, Anderson would've gotten an out. You can take your latest straw man and shove it up your frog's arse. If he flies off before you catch him, grengadgy is available.
Did you play baseball? I mean like at least the HS level on a competitive team?

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
Did you play baseball? I mean like at least the HS level on a competitive team?

Yes.

Your turn now. Quote your post where you even remotely acknowledged hitting away is a viable option. Since we both know you can't, back to your deflection safe space...

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
I'm only going to do this once or it loses it's entertainment value for the rest of the group. I started my post with" I coached HS ball in WNC for five years and with only a 2 year exception small ball was our only game as we didn't have the launch boys yet!" Let me breakdown that complex statement. In a period of five years we worked to develop a functional team. The first 3 years we only had one player who could hit one out and the rest were singles hitters. Yes, they hit line drives in the gaps because a line drive approach is similar to how you hit a hard ground ball. I explained why a hard hit ground ball was better than a routine fly ball and I will stand by my analysis regardless of what statistics get dug up at MLB.com. The first 2 years we had to fight base to base, a walk, stolen base, sac bunt equals a man on third 1 out. We usually found a way to get a run. When the team matured and a stronger group of players arrived the approach changed slightly by playing for big innings when the batting order was in our favor vs whoever was pitching. The ones who could smoke line drives hammered them, the ones who could launch one did so until they adjusted with a two strike count to make solid contact and move runners. Yep, we matched the game plan to the talent available, isn't that what chatter complains about Sully, HR or SO isn't a strategy. BTW we won the conference the last two years, it's amazing what you can do with a good team of horses to drive. Oh yeah, ground balls may be less likely to lead to extra bases but it normally leads to more runners advancing when the infield can't make the play's, Want proof? Check the UF/ UGA box score 7th inning of game 3 or ask Tyler Nesbitt if Josh Rivera is still apologizing for that display. He should be!

So you'd rather rely on an error to advance runners than get an extra base hit? Brilliant! But since we're talking errors, you should ask Vandy's pitchers if their OF's apologized after misplaying 3 fly balls that led to 2 doubles and a triple against tinnerc last weekend.

You want entertainment value? How about watching someone say they know more than experts that are paid millions to help their teams win games; ignore statistics that prove a player's average and slugging are nearly twice as high when hitting the ball in the air; and ignore a future HOF'er and arguably the best pure hitter in baseball. High school Joe can tell you how to win games...
:goon:

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Yes.

Your turn now. Quote your post where you even remotely acknowledged hitting away is a viable option. Since we both know you can't, back to your deflection safe space...
The premise the I somehow don't find hitting line drives and HR as a viable option is your strawman. Find the quote where I said it wasn't since you're the one making the case. I think Ox might need to implement some sort of ID check to make sure everyone in this forum is at least over the age of 25 so we can avoid juvenile dumbassery like you've put on display. You seem incapable of making an argument without middleschool drivel. This whole back and forth started when you decided that R. Jackson was somehow more valuable starting a franchise than Tony Gwynn and I would assume you feel the same about Rose. Try that argument with those same million dollar experts and see how for you get with it.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah these guys are DONE at 19-11 and 3-7 in the SEC. Looks like another sweep in league play and we may finish 8-22 in SEC play with sweeps at the hands of Ark, Vandy, MSU, and Tenn all but assured to finish with a record at around 28-27 overall but probably worse so we will see. Very possible that the team tanks it to get rid of Sully. He looks to have worn out his welcome and he will look to jump to another program by season's end.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
So I just happened to be looking at Sully's resume and found this post that showed up on Tiger Droppings. People can say nasty shyt about others sometime particularly on message boards so if this has been covered and found to be completely false I apologize but if not.....thoughts.

Well, you guys should google him and look into this:

The married (separated) lady he was sleeping with had her kids murdered by her ex in a murder suicide a few weeks ago. Ex killed both her boys and himself because she was sleeping with Kevin O'Sullivan, who was somehow connected to the boys through youth baseball when he met the mom.

Absolute tragedy and evil act.

It also puts some radioactivity on O'Sullivan I think.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Is this the dirty deed that went down a year ago over near Suwanee in Dixie County?

So I just happened to be looking at Sully's resume and found this post that showed up on Tiger Droppings. People can say nasty shyt about others sometime particularly on message boards so if this has been covered and found to be completely false I apologize but if not.....thoughts.

Well, you guys should google him and look into this:

The married (separated) lady he was sleeping with had her kids murdered by her ex in a murder suicide a few weeks ago. Ex killed both her boys and himself because she was sleeping with Kevin O'Sullivan, who was somehow connected to the boys through youth baseball when he met the mom.

Absolute tragedy and evil act.

It also puts some radioactivity on O'Sullivan I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.