2022 investing thread

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
@Concrete Helmet you are not wrong in your thought processes, but you have to take into account the human element. I get it with those who sold their POS in the NE for 2M and come here and spend 850K for a 3/2 just because it has a small yard and a pool. They see that as value. But over time as the savings erode, inflation persists and less buyers can even qualify for a mortgage, the human element sets in. Just like other markets, no one panics as things they perceive they own or do own are going up. Totally different when prices going the other way. Down here, most of the deals 500K up are cash, but I have seen listings that barely lasted a day months ago being out there 60+ days now, with price drops. Granted still overpriced and granted it only takes one, but changes like this happen super gradually. And everything you mention has a herd mentality, the herd mentality works the same on the downside, it just takes longer.

As far as the aging demo, your thesis is correct, but I am not sold on how much the inheritance will be. Things cost more now, people living longer etc. As an example here in south Florida there are numerous retirement communities with all the ammenities. You know 600K to 1.5M entrance fee, and then another 7k+ a month in rent, all in. Then the heirs would get 90% of the entrance fee back, the thought being that the heirs would then take that money and reserve their own place in the future. Well that is not happening, so the buy in places are now only returning 80% of the entrance fees, On top of that some of the Buy in places have converted to strictly rentals, no entrance fees Yes, all small signs, but in total they start to paint a slightly different picture for down the road.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Lastly, I was reading late last night an article on Bloomberg where former Richmond Fed Prez Lacker said that the Fed needs to take the O/N funds rate to 6%. After falling off my chair, I said sign me up. I would just drop everything into cash and into short term paper, go off to some deserted island and enjoy it for as long as it could last. I don;t see that happening or getting anywhere close, but if it does, tell me the chaos that would cause the average person?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Lastly, I was reading late last night an article on Bloomberg where former Richmond Fed Prez Lacker said that the Fed needs to take the O/N funds rate to 6%. After falling off my chair, I said sign me up. I would just drop everything into cash and into short term paper, go off to some deserted island and enjoy it for as long as it could last. I don;t see that happening or getting anywhere close, but if it does, tell me the chaos that would cause the average person?
Let alone national debt servicing...

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Richmond Fed Prez Lacker said that the Fed needs to take the O/N funds rate to 6%. After falling off my chair
If that made you fall off your chair you must have missed the video someone posted previously where Art Laffer said they need to let interest rates exceed inflation.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
If that made you fall off your chair you must have missed the video someone posted previously where Art Laffer said they need to let interest rates exceed inflation.

In fairness I have not listened to Art Laffer in many years. He still thinks that every monetary problem can be solved exactly how the monetary problems were solved after the Carter years. Things change and we need forward thinkers. Sadly all we have are PHD's making decisions b/c they read a lot of books. They have no idea what is going on in the real world.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
China has dropped below 1 trillion in US Treasuries and Japan is also off loading to buy their own...where does that leave us?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Holding the bags?
That's what I'm thinking. Funny but everyone over in the Russia thread keeps telling me I'm a nut job for thinking there is a huge global monetary shift happening as we speak but everyday there is some sort of new evidence.....China just stole most of the cash from it's citizens and told them to pound sand and they "didn't read the fine print", then there was the whole BRIC's agreement last week and we know there has been a ton of "trade for gold or oil" going on....

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
That's what I'm thinking. Funny but everyone over in the Russia thread keeps telling me I'm a nut job for thinking there is a huge global monetary shift happening as we speak but everyday there is some sort of new evidence.....China just stole most of the cash from it's citizens and told them to pound sand and they "didn't read the fine print", then there was the whole BRIC's agreement last week and we know there has been a ton of "trade for gold or oil" going on....
No Crete, I keep telling you that you are NEW TO THE GAME! Some of us here have been talking about the "huge global monetary shift" for FIFTEEN+ YEARS. It's not that you are a nut job, it's just kinda cute that you've discovered something "new"... it's like watching your kids grow up and being proud of them. :lol:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
No Crete, I keep telling you that you are NEW TO THE GAME! Some of us here have been talking about the "huge global monetary shift" for FIFTEEN+ YEARS. It's not that you are a nut job, it's just kinda cute that you've discovered something "new"... it's like watching your kids grow up and being proud of them.
Yes, yes....it's all new to me....except I only bring it up because it's happening NOW not 15 years ago....now.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Yes, yes....it's all new to me....except I only bring it up because it's happening NOW not 15 years ago....now.
:facepalm: OK, I'll play, then you are too late to adjust to it, you should have planned/adjusted/paid for things 15 years ago, when it wasn't happening "NOW," it was just starting. Those are called "indicators" and "warning signs." That's when you take action.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
:facepalm: OK, I'll play, then you are too late to adjust to it, you should have planned/adjusted/paid for things 15 years ago, when it wasn't happening "NOW," it was just starting. Those are called "indicators" and "warning signs." That's when you take action.
Wow.....I must have really chapped your ass with something I said in that Russia thread to get this kind of reaction....Ok though what makes you so sure I'm not "prepped" or ready?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Wow.....I must have really chapped your ass with something I said in that Russia thread to get this kind of reaction....Ok though what makes you so sure I'm not "prepped" or ready?
Hey, hey, hey! I'm smiling... I don't think i could ever really be pissed at you.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Now what does the US do to replace diminishing Treasuries from China and Japan. I've got an idea....

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yes I know it is new home sales which is small compared to existing, but just like WMT warning this just adds another small piece to the puzzle IMO.

season 5 episode 3 GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.