Recruiting 2022 Post-ESD Recruiting Thread: 4* DE Jack Pyburn commits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
They certainly will need to provide some regulatory oversite on NIL contracts. I doubt they can successfully pursue and form a legitimate players union. Who are the "players" every kid who plays midget football, 7 on 7, HS? Maybe one of the labor lawyers in the room has some answer.
I don’t think they can regulate NIL contracts. These contracts are endorsement deals, not salaries to play ball.

Pro sports can limit the salaries paid by the teams, but they can’t limit how much Nike, Coca-Cola, or Gatorade wants to pay a player for endorsements.

The United States Supreme Court has said college athletes are entitled to make $$$ off their NIL, so the ncaa can’t do anything.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I don’t think they can regulate NIL contracts. These contracts are endorsement deals, not salaries to play ball.

Pro sports can limit the salaries paid by the teams, but they can’t limit how much Nike, Coca-Cola, or Gatorade wants to pay a player for endorsements.

The United States Supreme Court has said college athletes are entitled to make $$$ off their NIL, so the ncaa can’t do anything.
Having a right and having a right without any regulations is not the same. I think we will eventually see some changes.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The average ranking per recruit, per the 247Sports Team Rankings, is now at 92.12, which is fifth-best in the country, trailing only Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M, and Ohio State, who happen to hold the top four classes in the country. The commitment puts Miami ahead of Clemson, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Penn State, and LSU in that category.

Miami signed 9 players. Avg recruit rating:
TA&M 94.42
Bamma 95.19
Buttsniffers 92.82
Miami 92.12
UF 89.84
FSU 89.89

Jaleel Skinner's commitment puts Miami in elite company

Last edited:

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019

Great point. If that is truly the case then college football competitiveness will reduce even more than it currently has become. If that is possible.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Florida's average includes an unsigned player, two signed OLs and a kicker. Miami has 0 OL and kicker in their average. Florida's average is 93.63 if you take out the OL and kicker.
I gave BN an A for this class. The point of my post is a reminder that other in state programs are doing pretty well too. Which is good. It would great if NCs had to come through Florida like before.

Last edited:

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Miami signed 9 players. Avg recruit rating:
TA&M 94.42
Bamma 95.19
Buttsniffers 92.82
Miami 92.12
UF 89.84
FSU 89.89

Hopefully we can bump that average up a pretty fair amount on NSD. But the reality of the situation is that we are standing in a hole (thanks Dan), from which it will take some time to extricate ourselves. The good news is that CBN has demonstrated some excellent traits thus far, many of which completely eluded his recent predecessor(s). The orderly, detail-conscious, immaculately professional way in which he is approaching the job, overall, is encouraging. The fact that he brought in at least two players that some presumably reasonable people have listed as 5*s, along with at least three or four strong 4* types, with only nine signees and less than two weeks on the job, is a significant improvement on what I frankly expected.

I suppose CBN just doesn't have a history of failing miserably in a number of crucial areas, especially recruiting - and therefore has loftier expectations than some of us who have languished in darkness these many years. I am now working to readjust my attitude appropriately - in keeping with the departure of the previous regime and the immediate progress being made by the new one. It doesn't hurt a thing that his last UL team played with discipline, poise and toughness - and won the games they were supposed to win. I look forward to seeing UF doing those same things again, as soon as reasonably possible. I don't expect miracles, but I actually look forward to the future of UF FB for the first time in years.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully we can bump that average up a pretty fair amount on NSD. But the reality of the situation is that we are standing in a hole (thanks Dan), from which it will take some time to extricate ourselves. The good news is that CBN has demonstrated some excellent traits thus far, many of which completely eluded his recent predecessor(s). The orderly, detail-conscious, immaculately professional way in which he is approaching the job, overall, is encouraging. The fact that he brought in at least two players that some presumably reasonable people have listed as 5*s, along with at least three or four strong 4* types, with only nine signees and less than two weeks on the job, is a significant improvement on what I frankly expected.

I suppose CBN just doesn't have a history of failing miserably in a number of crucial areas, especially recruiting - and therefore has loftier expectations than some of us who have languished in darkness these many years. I am now working to readjust my attitude appropriately - in keeping with the departure of the previous regime and the immediate progress being made by the new one. It doesn't hurt a thing that his last UL team played with discipline, poise and toughness - and won the games they were supposed to win. I look forward to seeing UF doing those same things again, as soon as reasonably possible. I don't expect miracles, but I actually look forward to the future of UF FB for the first time in years.
I'm looking forward to what happens in the portal and on NSD. As long as we maintain an emphasis on quality (over quantity) we'll be fine this year. (2022). Next year's class could be the the start of "championship" classes. (top 5)

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Having a right and having a right without any regulations is not the same. I think we will eventually see some changes.
It will be a challenge to regulate. In essence, the players have the right to earn money from their fame (Name, Image, and Likeness). So, a local car dealer could decide to pay every Bama recruit $100,000 because that recruit’s name, image, and likeness fits its business model.

In reality, that payment is just pretext for: Come to Bama, we’ll pay you $100,000.

The problem with regulation is how do you differentiate “pay for play” v. NIL? You really can’t, so pay for play will become the reality.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
It will be a challenge to regulate. In essence, the players have the right to earn money from their fame (Name, Image, and Likeness). So, a local car dealer could decide to pay every Bama recruit $100,000 because that recruit’s name, image, and likeness fits its business model.

In reality, that payment is just pretext for: Come to Bama, we’ll pay you $100,000.

The problem with regulation is how do you differentiate “pay for play” v. NIL? You really can’t, so pay for play will become the reality.
It all ready has become a reality

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018

Once some company ties itself to one of these kids and it goes all to hell do to behaviour, crime etc......they'll figure out how to regulate or it will self regulate.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Couple of points on class comparison. There is some truth to the notion that a Kicker and low ranked anything will weigh you down. It’s one of the reasons I see Rivals as the most accurate. As I remember, they rank based on your first 10 players(our whole class at the moment), which would mean the next high-3* or better will likely move us up quite a bit from 46th ranking they’re currently giving us.

On Cristobal, there’s no question he’s going to be an animal in recruiting. He always has been. But consider that from 2005-2009 miami averaged a 12th ranked class, with one top 5 finish. That did nothing to stop us. They were also building what would be their 2000 and 2001 teams with Butch Davis while we were building our own loaded roster those years. The point is we’ve coexisted many times in the past. I expect no difference here. We will have battles, but also often attract very different looking kids. If we get our players, we’ll be fine.

The team most likely on the outside looking in is Norvell and the clowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.