Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And not a single person is paying $ to go watch some national merit scholar take their english 101 course either.
Like the line from The Program...

"Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment?"

The 1993 film that helps illustrate just how long it's been all about the money.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Stupid Kirby ****ing up my kids HS field at Berkeley Prep coming in via chopper today.....good times.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
SEC Made $651,000,000. In 21 that number is expected to grow over a Billion by 2025 with expansion and a new contract.
Like it or not it’s big business now and there is no going back.
Players are just trying to get their cut. Don’t blame them.
This!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Neither are athletics. Net loss including TV money.
You’re drunk.
Not one single college athlete has ever sat in negotiations over TV contracts, bowl contracts, conference championship games, etc.. The conferences and their member universities created this monster. Not the players.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I believe the NIL thing will be scaled back quite a bit over the next few years, maybe even at the players’ choosing. The irony of the whole “being exploited” argument is that it’s really just shifted to a new exploiter. A million or so for Bar Stool is nothing compared to the press they’re getting and will get in the coming season as these players are followed. Meanwhile, as people like ltraz have pointed out, the players are basically foregoing a year of eligibility and film, being coached by some no name coach, and will then have to transfer, unlearn bad traits, learn new stuff and have at best 2 years of real film. And that’s if they aren’t completely yesterday’s news by then and a new crop hasn’t stolen much of the spotlight as has almost always been the case. If that lack of exposure, film, competition and coaching causes them to slide 10-15 spots in the draft, how much money has it cost them? And Bar Stool—basically the same villain as the conferences or schools—is way better off.

Lugenbill has said some players are completely missing the point and tripping over dollars for pennies. At some point, that will be realized by a lot of these kids. Selling an autograph, or something similar, is one thing. But these major endorsements for what amounts to peanuts in that context, make a lot less sense than they appear.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
I agree it's awful, but that's the way it is. Without NIL, I think Perkins would be a Gator for sure. If money is all he's after, he'll be able to find more, even if it's with Deion at JSU.
Yep. But I’d much rather go to UF and make less money now, consistently plow top shelf skirt, receive national level exposure every weekend providing me with the best opportunity to go pro.

These clowns ending up at JSU will be broke with no possibility making it into the league.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
netang has already said I can't say this but the scholarship athletes get paid upwards of $250K for fours years of work.

The UAA said it was $350k several years ago. That included scholarship, fees, housing, food, coaching, S&C, trainers, medical, academic support, etc.

Hopefully most will look beyond the immediate cash - which can evaporate very quickly. That’s what Billy and most good coaches preach. Prepare for life. And maybe the LOI and scholarships will evolve into contracts that provide some stability. Free agency still has contracts. Young men need to learn to persevere through hardship rather than changing the scenery when things get tough.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
They dont get paid a single dime. They get benefits like housing, meals and health coverage. But they dont get paid anything.

They do get cash, often through Pell Grants and per diem money. Not a lot but when everything else is covered it’s all spending money.

But I’ve never liked the idea that every other kid can have a job on or off campus but an athlete couldn’t. Meanwhile, they are putting in crazy long hours. I had a friend who played at Harvard. Even there, and 40 years ago, between practice, weights, time with the trainer getting taped up before practice then iced down after, etc., and meetings it was over 6 hours a day in season and 3-4 out of season.

An SEC athlete is scheduled almost all day every day year ‘round. Plus when you DO get to class and study, your body has been pounded and strained to the limit. True equity in all that will never be achieved but must be pursued.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Neither are athletics. Net loss including TV money.

Net loss? On paper for most - not all - yes. U. Chicago dropped athletics altogether, and it’s an elite institution with world renown in several areas. But they are almost unique in that standing.

But why do they all do it? Why are schools always coming into the FBS and sponsoring sports programs? Because it creates an identity that bolsters giving, enrollment, business involvement and grants. The Ivy League schools run full programs, so do the elite smaller schools like Williams and Amherst on down to small schools in my area like Florida Southern, Southeastern, Warner University and Weber International and junior colleges too.

Don’t discount the role athletics have had in getting UF to the top 5, or progress being made at other schools. And don’t discount the role they have in providing opportunities for young men and women to change not only their lives but their descendants downstream by earning a degree and making a good life even when they don’t continue in sports after college. There is no net loss. There is clearly net growth.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Hopefully most will look beyond the immediate cash - which can evaporate very quickly. That’s what Billy and most good coaches preach. Prepare for life. And maybe the LOI and scholarships will evolve into contracts that provide some stability. Free agency still has contracts. Young men need to learn to persevere through hardship rather than changing the scenery when things get tough.
Unfortunately, current culture is working against this. When instant gratification becomes the central theme in society, preaching anything to the contrary is a hard sell. It is particularly difficult with young men at lowest rungs of the socio-economic scale and for a host of reasons.

When factoring it all in, should any of us be surprised that top recruit in the country, Travis Hunter, decided to take the money and go to Jackson State? No doubt people having been telling him for years how great he is and how he’s a shoo-in for the NFL. Not hard to imagine that after a while he started to believe it and think that way. The Pied Piper, in the form of Deion Sanders, comes a long and says hey, I’ll show you how to do it and here’s a million bucks, follow me.

What may change this is years from now, coaches being able to demonstrate how going to lesser places or going where the money was the most, usually didn’t lead to these kids achieving their dream. In the mean time, we are going to see more and more kids deciding to take the money and run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.