Recruiting 2022 Recruiting Thread: Evers and CJ Smith Decommit

Status
Not open for further replies.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Seriously as savvy as these kids are on the internet and social media these days, if they don’t know what the deal is with college coaches, that’s on them

I also think it's a little different when a rising star coach leaves a smaller school to go to a bigger one. Of all the reasons to not like Norvell, Kiffin, etc., it's not because of kids they left behind at Memphis and FAU. Generally speaking, kids end up at the level they belong. So a kid that chose FAU wasn't doing so over a better, P5 type option just to play for Kiffin. He was choosing them over FIU, SMU, ULL, type places with that level of coaches. So if anything, some of those kids at FAU got a chance to play for, and learn from, a coach for 1-3 years that they never would have otherwise. And if any of the other places that they had the opportunity to attend had great coaches, they'd be in the same boat there as that guy would likely leave also.

Where it's a little different is with true peers. So a kid that went to Ou over let's say Texas or some other comparable program, and is now facing the reality of a new coach that they didn't choose, instead of being able to go somewhere else to play for someone they did choose, has a reason to be upset. Greater money and resources or not, it's a lateral move.

It's where the one-time rule makes sense. The downside though, as I've said before, is it's only a matter of time before we see a new coach inheriting a 40-man roster because of a mass exodus. Wouldn't shock me to see something like that at Ou this year.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I also think it's a little different when a rising star coach leaves a smaller school to go to a bigger one. Of all the reasons to not like NorveLLLL, Kiffin, etc., it's not because of kids they left behind at Memphis and FAU. Generally speaking, kids end up at the level they belong. So a kid that chose FAU wasn't doing so over a better, P5 type option just to play for Kiffin. He was choosing them over FIU, SMU, ULL, type places with that level of coaches. So if anything, some of those kids at FAU got a chance to play for, and learn from, a coach for 1-3 years that they never would have otherwise. And if any of the other places that they had the opportunity to attend had great coaches, they'd be in the same boat there as that guy would likely leave also.

Where it's a little different is with true peers. So a kid that went to Ou over let's say Texas or some other comparable program, and is now facing the reality of a new coach that they didn't choose, instead of being able to go somewhere else to play for someone they did choose, has a reason to be upset. Greater money and resources or not, it's a lateral move.

It's where the one-time rule makes sense. The downside though, as I've said before, is it's only a matter of time before we see a new coach inheriting a 40-man roster because of a mass exodus. Wouldn't shock me to see something like that at Ou this year.
Where it really strikes me as unfair is when a coach leaves after signing day. With ESD now a fact of life, this becomes more of a possibility.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I also think it's a little different when a rising star coach leaves a smaller school to go to a bigger one. Of all the reasons to not like NorveLLLL, Kiffin, etc., it's not because of kids they left behind at Memphis and FAU. Generally speaking, kids end up at the level they belong. So a kid that chose FAU wasn't doing so over a better, P5 type option just to play for Kiffin. He was choosing them over FIU, SMU, ULL, type places with that level of coaches. So if anything, some of those kids at FAU got a chance to play for, and learn from, a coach for 1-3 years that they never would have otherwise. And if any of the other places that they had the opportunity to attend had great coaches, they'd be in the same boat there as that guy would likely leave also.

I hope we do see that (mass attrition) at a P5 program (not ours, of course!). It will blow up this new rule and force the NCAA to drop the 25 counter rule (or make a major change to it). They're supposedly going to allow more than 25 this year, but that's just a bandaid. I think they should allow a 1 for 1 counter on any transfers out over the typical average (they can do a study of the last 20 years or so to determine what the average number of transfers are during a typical/non-coaching change season at D1 schools, for example).

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Additionally, the S&C coach is supposed to be the head coaches right hand guy - somebody he trusts, has a relationship with, and works directly with as a sounding board with the team (as the S&C is allowed to have direct contact w/ the players in the off-season). The players sent out a bunch of tweets last week talking about keeping Savage - I hope Napier brings in 'his' guy and busts these soft, no discipline, cry babies asses this off season!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We fielded one of the softest, weakest teams both mentally and physically in the country. Those aren't my words, those are the words of current SEC coaches, many of whom are at middle to bottom tier programs.

Savage shouldnt even be allowed back in Alachua county. He sucks.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I hope we do see that (mass attrition) at a P5 program (not ours, of course!). It will blow up this new rule and force the NCAA to drop the 25 counter rule (or make a major change to it). They're supposedly going to allow more than 25 this year, but that's just a bandaid. I think they should allow a 1 for 1 counter on any transfers out over the typical average (they can do a study of the last 20 years or so to determine what the average number of transfers are during a typical/non-coaching change season at D1 schools, for example).
as quickly as the NCAA moves, it will happen in 2042.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Kids have so many options now. Same for coaches, really. No commitment. Hit the clicker, change the channel.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Additionally, the S&C coach is supposed to be the head coaches right hand guy - somebody he trusts, has a relationship with, and works directly with as a sounding board with the team (as the S&C is allowed to have direct contact w/ the players in the off-season). The players sent out a bunch of tweets last week talking about keeping Savage - I hope Napier brings in 'his' guy and busts these soft, no discipline, cry babies asses this off season!
You know there is an "Other coaches" thread, right?

What are you doing? Trying to make this Gator Country? Mayhem in the threads????!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.