Recruiting 2022 Recruiting Thread: Evers and CJ Smith Decommit

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
You're right, our DB's were outstanding last year. My bad. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest about a 2-time fired DB coach. You're right, I'm wrong. Torrian Gray's elite. I'm sure he'll be on Saban's staff sooner or later.

Redskins letting Torrian Gray go hints at wholesale defensive staff makeover

Redskins fire defensive backs coach Torrian Gray

Redskins Reportedly Fire DB Coach Torrian Gray - DC Sports King
If outstanding means out standing on the field while the other team is actually running on the field.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If we could only hires coaches who were as smart and knowledgeable as GC posters.

Any idiot could have the record we have had the last decade in hiring coaches... so for the most part would be the same. But the difference is this, when you have evidence you do your best to make decisions based on that evidence.

Muschamp as an initial hire wasn't a bad hire, you had no evidence as him as a head coach (which we found later to be a red flag). Top assistant coach at multiple stops. But an unknown when it came to the head job. The initial hire wasn't bad, the double extensions before year 3, huge mistake. Year three showed what kind of personality he was, and we had an AD too afraid to pull that expense trigger.

Butters, should have been weeded out during the interview process (and was for a lot except Foley). Again at least we swung due to the limited knowledge of him as a head coach. Then we again double down before year 3 was even started. When the going got tough he exposed himself completely.

Mullen, decade of evidence at the head job and a man that people in the building knew. He wasn't a program changer at MSU, but we paid him like a program changer/Championship coach. If we would have paid him more inline with the coach he actually is, there would be less of an issue with him. Now after showing whom he is, we still doubled down and continue to pay him like a top 5% coach. Where the evidence doesn't suggest he is. Top 15 probably, top 10 maybe there is an argument there. Top 5/Championship coach nothing to suggest that.

I have no real problem with swing and missing, if you are trying to excellence. The issue comes when you pay for what isn't proven. Extending a dude before year 3 who has accomplished as many SEC Championships as a Head Coach as Tijuana has as a Head Coach is bad business. Hiring someone as and selling them as a program changer and paying them as such is bad business.

The organization is tainted when it comes to the football program. The issue isn't only the Head Football coach, it's the management above them. Don't claim to be playing for Championships or the Gator Standard to be ok with second place. I don't expect National Titles every year, but I do expect to be in the real conversation for SEC Championships on a regular basis. We haven't really been in that conversation since 2009.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp as an initial hire wasn't a bad hire, you had no evidence as him as a head coach (which we found later to be a red flag). .
Not really.

Obviously wed love to have a guy who took a MAC team from winkess to champion in two years then to a WAC team to undefeated and beating Oklahoma in a (real) NY6 bowl. Or a guy who lit up USFL and won the ACC w FUCHSING DUKE.

Those don't come along too often.

Ryan Day wasnt an HC.

Nor was Dabo.

Nor Lincoln Riley.

They right guy runs an attacking offense, recruits well, and is at least well respected enough to run a tight ship and attract elite coaches is what we should be hunting.

Going 21-16 at Col St doesnt mean ****. Almost no college HCs have a resume worthy of UF. Youre better off going for a REAL upstart coordinator (not the DC that Saban demoted) versus a proven mediocre HC.

Last edited:

Saulgoodman

Sep 26, 2019
Any idiot could have the record we have had the last decade in hiring coaches... so for the most part would be the same. But the difference is this, when you have evidence you do your best to make decisions based on that evidence.

Muschamp as an initial hire wasn't a bad hire, you had no evidence as him as a head coach (which we found later to be a red flag). Top assistant coach at multiple stops. But an unknown when it came to the head job. The initial hire wasn't bad, the double extensions before year 3, huge mistake. Year three showed what kind of personality he was, and we had an AD too afraid to pull that expense trigger.

Butters, should have been weeded out during the interview process (and was for a lot except Foley). Again at least we swung due to the limited knowledge of him as a head coach. Then we again double down before year 3 was even started. When the going got tough he exposed himself completely.

Mullen, decade of evidence at the head job and a man that people in the building knew. He wasn't a program changer at MSU, but we paid him like a program changer/Championship coach. If we would have paid him more inline with the coach he actually is, there would be less of an issue with him. Now after showing whom he is, we still doubled down and continue to pay him like a top 5% coach. Where the evidence doesn't suggest he is. Top 15 probably, top 10 maybe there is an argument there. Top 5/Championship coach nothing to suggest that.

I have no real problem with swing and missing, if you are trying to excellence. The issue comes when you pay for what isn't proven. Extending a dude before year 3 who has accomplished as many SEC Championships as a Head Coach as Tijuana has as a Head Coach is bad business. Hiring someone as and selling them as a program changer and paying them as such is bad business.

The organization is tainted when it comes to the football program. The issue isn't only the Head Football coach, it's the management above them. Don't claim to be playing for Championships or the Gator Standard to be ok with second place. I don't expect National Titles every year, but I do expect to be in the real conversation for SEC Championships on a regular basis. We haven't really been in that conversation since 2009.

Good post. When a coach is hired, he will be advertised as a homerun hire even with a record of 0-100. I would love for an administration to have some balls and admit that a hire is just a stop gap guy but we all know that will never happen. One thing Mullen has done is kept Florida from sinking into the depths of being a joke (Tennessee). That isn't much to brag about but I would rather be consistently mediocre than a laughing stock every year.

The part that really irks me, is that he spent years under Meyer. Mullen seen how relentless Meyer was on the recruiting trail at Florida. We never had an undefeated season and it took a couple of breaks for us to get into the National Championship game with LOADED rosters. Urban is one of the best to ever do it (furk you Urbs for leaving us the way you did). The SEC is even tougher than it was back then I would argue. Does Dan really think that he can take a sub par roster and accomplish what Urban did? Does Dan really think he is a better HC than Urbs? I have no issue with the HC of my program having an ego and believing in himself, but that has to match your resume. Dan's head has filled up like a hot air balloon from all of praise he gets for X's and O's. He needs to realize you ain't sh!t without the Jimmy's and Joe's.

Dan needs to hire Jason Brown as our recruiting coordinator. Can't wait to see some of these responses :grin:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not really.

Obviously wed love to have a guy who took a MAC team from winkess to champion in two years then to a WAC team to undefeated and beating Oklahoma in a (real) NY6 bowl.

Those don't come along too often.

Ryan Day wasnt an HC.

Nor was Dabo.

Nor Lincoln Riley.

They right guy runs an attacking offense, recruits well, and is at least well respected enough to run a tight ship and attract elite coaches.

Going 21-16 at Col St doesnt mean ****. Almost no HCs have a resume worthy of UF. Youre better off going for a REAL upstart coordinator (not the DC that Saban demoted) versus a proven mediocre HC.

Again, in general I don't disagree. But if you think you have found your Day or Riley... you take shot. But if you miss, you have to cut bait, not extend them. I have no issue with taking the shot, but if you miss you have to have the balls to break them off. This is the major issue we had with Muschamp and Butters. Instead of cutting bait, management doubled down.

Type of coach depends on the the culture of the program.

UF should always be going offensive mind, which is the major issues I had with Muschamp and Zook hires. Offensive minds, especially innovative and vertical offenses fit the culture of the organization.

Other organizations the defensive mind set is more in line with their culture.

Last edited:

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Oklahoma is recruiting great on offense but their defense still sucks.
Day is killing it on the recruiting trail but he isn't that great of a coach. He is in a crappy conference.

Dabo has a 13 game schedule of warm ups before he hits the playoffs.

If those 3 played in the SEC, none would make the playoffs.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Whether or not Gray is a good coach or not, he wasn't while here. And saying that doesn't mean Grantham isn't at fault. Grantham sucks too.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
They right guy runs an attacking offense, recruits well, and is at least well respected enough to run a tight ship and attract elite coaches.
Thank you Captain Obvious. Do you have a name to go with this description?

Don't get me wrong; you are absolutely correct. It would be great if we could find what you are describing, but a Riley, a Day, or Dabo? Don't forget that both Riley and Day inherited great situations. They both took over the best program in their respective conferences with no real competition in sight. To their credit, they are recruiting well and putting good results on the field (though as @Homer J correctly noted, OU is still weak defensively). Day seems the most likely to actually win a Natty as they really are a complete team with a bunch of talent - and his offense shredding a Brett Venables defense last season was impressive.

As for Dabo, I'm not sure Gator fans would be happy with hiring a guy who had never even been a coordinator, let alone a HC. It's clearly worked out great for Clemson, but it was a gamble. The other thing you definitely nailed is all three of those guys are running programs recruiting at an elite level. The one thing that worries me is that in the hunt for CDM's replacement they get over focused on the recruiting aspect (because it has been so lacking for a while) and we end up with a Kirby Shart - I'm still not convinced he can win a title even if he did come as close as he did.

Having said all that, I'd take any of those three you named - not that any of them are coming.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer had never even been a coordinator.

Nor Ryan Day.

It is why you dont just say stupid **** like never hire a guy that wasnt a P5 HC or whatever various iterations sometimes get proffered.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer had never even been a coordinator.

Nor Ryan Day.

It is why you dont just say stupid **** like never hire a guy that wasnt a P5 HC or whatever various iterations sometimes get proffered.

Think you mean Dabo, not Ryan Day.

Day was an OC for Temple , Boston College, and Ohio State. At Temple then Boston College he was following that Offensive Mastermind Steve Addazio.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Found this on Blades - does he know something that hasn't been reported?

At corner, the Gators are poised to be among the best in the SEC. Kaiir Elam is appearing on almost every preseason All-American list, and teams should stay away from the All-SEC selection as they did a season ago. Elam will be joined by 5-star Jason Marshall, who the Gators coaches think could start immediately, if not for the encouraging development of former 4-star Jaydon Hill. Elijah Blades and Tre’Vez Johnson add depth and should give the Gators the opportunity to play better fits at the nickel spot as well.

Better or worse? Previewing Florida’s defense in 2021

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Good post. When a coach is hired, he will be advertised as a homerun hire even with a record of 0-100. I would love for an administration to have some balls and admit that a hire is just a stop gap guy but we all know that will never happen. One thing Mullen has done is kept Florida from sinking into the depths of being a joke (Tennessee). That isn't much to brag about but I would rather be consistently mediocre than a laughing stock every year.

The part that really irks me, is that he spent years under Meyer. Mullen seen how relentless Meyer was on the recruiting trail at Florida. We never had an undefeated season and it took a couple of breaks for us to get into the National Championship game with LOADED rosters. Urban is one of the best to ever do it (furk you Urbs for leaving us the way you did). The SEC is even tougher than it was back then I would argue. Does Dan really think that he can take a sub par roster and accomplish what Urban did? Does Dan really think he is a better HC than Urbs? I have no issue with the HC of my program having an ego and believing in himself, but that has to match your resume. Dan's head has filled up like a hot air balloon from all of praise he gets for X's and O's. He needs to realize you ain't sh!t without the Jimmy's and Joe's.

Dan needs to hire Jason Brown as our recruiting coordinator. Can't wait to see some of these responses :grin:
Whos Jason Brown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member