2023 Fall Training Camp: Mertz named starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Camp is about to start and it looks like Mertz has separated himself pretty considerably up to this point.

Miller will be battling Max Brown for 2nd string.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not expecting anything close to a Heisman performance out of him, but for some crazy reason I can't help but feel like he's going to be good enough to win more than the media seems to think we will. Probably not 10 wins or anything like that, but I still think we can hit 7 during the regular season with a chance to get to 8 in the bowl game.

Slug

I fcuking hate people.
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2014
Camp is about to start and it looks like Mertz has separated himself pretty considerably up to this point.

Miller will be battling Max Brown for 2nd string.
Where are you hearing he's separated himself?

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Mertz Mania!!
That dude is so damn happy to be out of Wisconsin. If he doesn't help us it won't be because he hasn't tried.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Best case with Mertz is that he plays well enough to earn a late round grade and he comes back for a final year and improve on that grade

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I'm not expecting anything close to a Heisman performance out of him, but for some crazy reason I can't help but feel like he's going to be good enough to win more than the media seems to think we will. Probably not 10 wins or anything like that, but I still think we can hit 7 during the regular season with a chance to get to 8 in the bowl game.
He’s been a 60% passer with a 2:1 TD/INT ratio. If he can boost that completion percentage a bit and cut his turnovers in half he’ll be fine. Maybe better than fine.

The defense MUST be better or that won’t matter much. I think they will be with the massive rebuild up the middle.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
It better be Mertz, God knows we don't want to see Miller out there unless we're winning in a blowout. I hope Brown passes Miller for backup.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He’s been a 60% passer with a 2:1 TD/INT ratio. If he can boost that completion percentage a bit and cut his turnovers in half he’ll be fine. Maybe better than fine.

The defense MUST be better or that won’t matter much. I think they will be with the massive rebuild up the middle.
Yeah, pretty much that's why I'm expecting a bit of an improvement. I don't expect miracles from the offense but the defense should be able to get a few 3rd down stops at least. That'll make a difference.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am not worried at all about Mertz. He is seasoned with experience.

I worry about the O - Line giving him time and receivers getting open / catching the ball / holding onto the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.