Status
Not open for further replies.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
If I may respectfully disagree, no better recruiting tool this week IMO than being in Omaha and your top 2 starting pitchers will not be back next year. Seems a little better than hosting a grad visitor with 1 year of eligibility temaining on a summer day where it will be 400 degrees in the shade. I think the guy is looking to play, play immediately and play for a team that he thinks could contend for the tourney. And I feel that way about any other potential transfer. Rather they see the team in Omaha than anything else.
Don't be so certain sproat leaves.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Don't be so certain sproat leaves.

That would be great but I think there is a pretty slim chance. Another year won't improve his draft position enough to justify the risk of injury. He has been hitting 100 + with good movement. The big league wants him now and a good showing in Omaha will only increase that.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
That would be great but I think there is a pretty slim chance. Another year won't improve his draft position enough to justify the risk of injury. He has been hitting 100 + with good movement. The big league wants him now and a good showing in Omaha will only increase that.
We will see how things shake out, but he spent 15 minutes with my son prior to the 1st fsu game and told him and a friend of his who had driven over to watch the game that he was 100% returning for his senior year.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
We will see how things shake out, but he spent 15 minutes with my son prior to the 1st fsu game and told him and a friend of his who had driven over to watch the game that he was 100% returning for his senior year.
I remember that (and was actually going to mention it when I saw the same post you replied to), and while he was likely 100% telling the truth then, as we know, schit changes, sometimes fast, and it's been a long, successful, couple of months since then. I would imagine the next couple of weeks will factory mightily into any decision as well.

Did the guy Sproat was talking to have any kids with him, specifically sons or daughters?

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
He is currently projected as a late 1st round pick which is a $2.5M slot value. I don't believe he is that foolish to risk it!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Anyone remember Karsten Whitson coming out of high school? Top 10 pick, could not agree and did not sign. How did that work out? Sproat has been here it seems like since 2015. Unless he has amassed an amount of money greater than he could make as a 1st or 2nd round pick, and as a pitcher whose shelf life can be very short, I think the chances of him returning to play college baseball are zero.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Anyone remember Karsten Whitson coming out of high school? Top 10 pick, could not agree and did not sign. How did that work out? Sproat has been here it seems like since 2015. Unless he has amassed an amount of money greater than he could make as a 1st or 2nd round pick, and as a pitcher whose shelf life can be very short, I think the chances of him returning to play college baseball are zero.
The flip side is Sproat's HS alum Addison Russel who signed straight out of Pace HS for $2.6M, won a World Series with the Cubs, then, well... :kiffin:

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
The flip side is Sproat's HS alum Addison Russel who signed straight out of Pace HS for $2.6M, won a World Series with the Cubs, then, well... :kiffin:
You can purchase a decent college education with the residue of $2.6M plus the other compensation. Also, the standard MLB contract includes tuition payment for those who choose to pursue the education post playing career. I think we got our Sproat bonus when he came back this season.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

I hope you are right!!!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I remember that (and was actually going to mention it when I saw the same post you replied to), and while he was likely 100% telling the truth then, as we know, schit changes, sometimes fast, and it's been a long, successful, couple of months since then. I would imagine the next couple of weeks will factory mightily into any decision as well.

Did the guy Sproat was talking to have any kids with him, specifically sons or daughters?
No, was just him but you could tell they were close, he was a bit older. Seemed like perhaps a mentor type of relationship. Which is why I think there's a reasonable chance we see him again. Could be way wrong but hoping otherwise.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
No, was just him but you could tell they were close, he was a bit older. Seemed like perhaps a mentor type of relationship. Which is why I think there's a reasonable chance we see him again. Could be way wrong but hoping otherwise.
Was trying to narrow it down to Pace HS coach(es)

abefroman

Sausage King
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2019
images

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Anyone else concerned about the outfield defense in such a big park if they decide to leave Langford in CF? With Robertson at least he is good enough to know he has to shade himself to be ready to help whoever plays RF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator